Group B: England, Iran, United States, Wales (England and USA qualify)

Big River

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

We weren't great against USA obviously but the group has been managed impeccably. Forced the issue in game 1, tightened it up and avoided defeat against the most difficult opponent, played expensively and got loads of squad players on the pitch in the third freebie. Not a difficult group but job well and truly done, and safe passage through to the quarters assuming no cock-ups.

This. Completely understand people's frustrations when we don't go all out and murder weaker teams, but it's a tournament and it has to be managed differently. Southgate has proven he knows how to do that - maybe this one won't work out like the last 2 have, but the hysterics after the USA are just mad.

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

This. Completely understand people's frustrations when we don't go all out and murder weaker teams, but it's a tournament and it has to be managed differently. Southgate has proven he knows how to do that - maybe this one won't work out like the last 2 have, but the hysterics after the USA are just mad.

Yeah, his in-game choices leave something to be desired at times but his strategic approach to tournaments is very good. 

1 minute ago, Pata said:

That group was very close to having two of the worst five teams in the tournament tbf. :lol:

This again. :lol:

Wales were terrible tbf; only Qatar worse at this tournament. But the narrative pre-Iran was how difficult a match that was going to be and we annihilated them. USA are canny; no worse than many others who'll finish second. 

FIFA rankings are a joke until they prove your point. :lol: Wales were horrid and past it, Iran took 100 minutes to score against Wales and created nothing in a must win game against USA.

England ended up doing well but there's no England manager who wouldn't have qualified from that group.

Edited by Pata

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m in my 40s now.  In my lifetime England have made it out of the groups of a WC in 9 out of 10 attempts (albeit this doesn’t include failure to qualify in ‘94).  That’s pretty fucking routine in fairness. 

I'm 38, so not quite there, but it's regularly felt like we've made a meal of it compared to now.

1 hour ago, Segun Oluwaniyi said:

England, Italy, and Ghana all made serious errors letting this Musah boy go play for the the US. He wasn't raised there nor are his parents American and he would have a part to play for all of those teams. One of the best midfielders I have seen in this tournament for any team, tbh.

He was the far the US midfielder I was most impressed with, definitely.

Have no issue with him playing for the US though. I like that FIFA have relaxed their nationality rules considerably in recent decades tbh and allow players to switch relatively freely. Gives for much more depth in international football.

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Not proving anything tbh, just saying the idea of how bad teams being argued retrospectively is not fullproof. They look bad because they were well beaten.

I'm mainly basing it on how they looked against each other and USA, not against England.