Group D: France, Australia, Denmark, Tunisia (France and Australia qualify)

Big River

Just now, Dandy Man said:

Sickener for Tunisia but they fucked it by losing to Aus

It would have been more of a sickener if Denmark had got the late equaliser. I didn't see it today, but I'd be shocked if they would have beaten France in group match 1 or 2, so likely benefitted from match order. Aussies beat both Tunisia and Denmark in very live matches (for both sides) so thoroughly deserve to go through.

Just now, Likelylad said:

After watching that. Are France more beatable than perhaps we think? 

If they play their reserves in the knockouts too. :lol: Deschamps gives everyone a chance to beat them tbh.

1 minute ago, Likelylad said:

After watching that. Are France more beatable than perhaps we think? 

Let’s remember they had qualified in 1st place even if they had lost this game, must be taken into account that they stepped off and set out a bit differently like us vs USA. With that being said I wouldn’t be scared of playing them, I really think this England side can beat any team in this tourney.

4 minutes ago, Paullow said:

It would have been more of a sickener if Denmark had got the late equaliser. I didn't see it today, but I'd be shocked if they would have beaten France in group match 1 or 2, so likely benefitted from match order. Aussies beat both Tunisia and Denmark in very live matches (for both sides) so thoroughly deserve to go through.

Aye, fair play to Aussies certainly more than sum of their parts. Tunisia would probably have beat Danes if being more aggressive when playing them in match 2 or 3 though too tbf.

12 minutes ago, Disco said:

Some effort by Denmark to finish bottom of that group. Once again the Scandinavians soil themselves on the international stage.

They were pretty decent year ago?

Denmark really needs a proper striker. Cornelius and Braithwaite are a total waste of squad place.

Danes were very poor tho. Slow build up and didn't seem to know where to breakthrough.

Edited by KingArthur
additional text

3 minutes ago, Dandy Man said:

Aye, fair play to Aussies certainly more than sum of their parts. Tunisia would probably have beat Danes if being more aggressive when playing them in match 2 or 3 though too tbf.

We'll never know either scenario if the match order was different to be honest, but playing an already qualified France who were 99.9999% sure of topping the group (required a 7 goal swing with the Aussie match), making 9 changes to their last match and no jeopardy on the result is pretty generous, plus, in a group of 4, where only 2 qualify, the matches against the non-France sides were always going to be pretty key. You've kind of half alluded to it, but scoring 0 goals and only gaining 1 point from the sides they were realistically competing with for second, is ultimately what has cost them.

52 minutes ago, Nine said:

Let’s remember they had qualified in 1st place even if they had lost this game, must be taken into account that they stepped off and set out a bit differently like us vs USA. With that being said I wouldn’t be scared of playing them, I really think this England side can beat any team in this tourney.

Nah I get that but the general consensus seems to be. Quarters, France & out. Whereas they’re definitely suspect at the back and missing a huge player in Benzema. 

Obviously still have Mbappe like?