Title - o - metre  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

Nothings changed, we will rely on Bruno, Wilson and Maxi staying fit for the majority of games to have any chance. It’s very unlikely to because keeping them fit is probably going to prove impossible.

Edited by SUPERTOON

1 minute ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Yeah I mean the only team that finished above us in 7-10th last season that's had a better start than us, despite our complaints, is Brighton - and they've just lost their highly rated manager. Whoever comes 7th is going to have a fair amount of wobbles and bad runs.

:thup: West Ham lost 14 times last season! So did Leicester in 8th. Wolves finished top half and lost nearly half their games. We're already well out-performing that particular baseline. 

12 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We need at home 10 more wins & no more draws (lol) (30 points to go)

We need away from home 7 more wins & 1 more draw (22 points to go)

West Ham (H) changes from 1 point required to a win to bring us back on track.

2 points off the pace.

Nottingham Forest (H)- 3 points required - 3 points won (On track for 60 points)

Brighton (A) - 0 points required - 1 point won (On track for 61 points)

Manchester City (H) - 0 points required - 1 point won (On track for 62 points)

Wolves (A) - 0 points required - 1 point won (On track for 62 points)

Liverpool (A) - 0 points required - 0 points won (On track for 62 points)

Crystal Palace (H) - 3 points required - 1 point won (On track for 60 points)

Bournemouth (H) - 3 points required - 1 point won (On track for 58 points)

Fulham (A) - 3 points required

Brentford (H) - 3 points required

Manchester United (A) - 0 points required

Everton (H) - 3 points required

Spurs (A) - 0 points required

Aston Villa (H) - 3 points required

Southampton (A) - 3 points required

Chelsea (H) - 0 points required

Leicester (A) - 0 points required

Leeds (H) - 3 points required

Arsenal (A) - 0 points required

Fulham (H) - 3 points required

Crystal Palace (A) - 0 points required (originally 1 point required)

West Ham (H) - 3 points required (originally 1 point)

Bournemouth (A) - 3 points required

Liverpool (H) - 0 points required

Brighton (H) - 3 points required

Man City (A) - 0 points required

Wolves (H) - 3 points required

Nottingham Forest (A) - 3 points required

Manchester United (H) - 0 points required (originally 1 point required)

Brentford (A) - 1 point required

Aston Villa (A) - 3 points required

Spurs (H) - 0 points required

Everton (A) - 3 points required

Southampton (H) - 3 points required

Arsenal (H) - 0 points required

Leeds (A) - 3 points required

Leicester (H) - 3 points required (was 1 point)

Chelsea (A) - 0 points required

West Ham (A) - 0 points required

Maybe a typo in this line…

Wolves (A) - 0 points required - 1 point won (On track for 62 points)

Should be 1 point required? Either that or it should tick up to 63 points? As it stands it’s 1 more point gained than required but the projected total doesn’t change from the previous line.

Apologies if I’m missing something. 

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

:thup: West Ham lost 14 times last season! So did Leicester in 8th. Wolves finished top half and lost nearly half their games. We're already well out-performing that particular baseline. 

Those are teams that had enough firepower in forward positions to turn draws into wins. I felt we could have played another 45 mins yesterday and still not scored.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Those are teams that had enough firepower in forward positions to turn draws into wins. I felt we could have played another 45 mins yesterday and still not scored.

That's just simply not true, particularly looking at Wolves last season.

2 hours ago, BoSelecta said:

Maybe a typo in this line…

Wolves (A) - 0 points required - 1 point won (On track for 62 points)

Should be 1 point required? Either that or it should tick up to 63 points? As it stands it’s 1 more point gained than required but the projected total doesn’t change from the previous line.

Apologies if I’m missing something. 

Originally we needed 1 point at the start of the season, but because we got 1 point at Brighton beforehand which was originally 0, Wolves changed to a 0 in terms of tracking for 60 points.

Basically pre-season to be on track for 60 points we were looking at:

Forest 3, Brighton 0, Man City 0, Wolves 1, Liverpool 0, Palace 3, Bournemouth 3 (10 points)

We beat Forest so we were tracking for 60 points.

We drew at Brighton so we were then tracking for 61 points, but to stay on track for 60, Wolves became 0 because they finished next in the table behind Brighton last season.

We drew with Man City so started tracking for 62 points from pre-season, but another home game changed from 1 to 0 points because we'd already gained that point.just in terms of 60 points.

The draw at Wolves and defeat at Liverpool changed nothing.

The 4 points dropped last two games mean we're now tracking for 58 points, so to get back on 60, one of the games we needed 1 point has changed to 3.

Just now, The Prophet said:

Wolves scored 38 goals in 10th and Brighton 42 in 9th. We scored more than both. Saying they finished in the top ten due to their superior firepower isn't particularly true.

I think you need things to fall for you when you don't have much firepower. It's like our second half of last season, we were't scoring loads, but we won a lot of 1-0's and were CL form from January. Does that mean we should be finishing top 4? Very hard to replicate that without quality in depth. Wolves or Brighton could just as easily finish 12th - although I will say that Brighton do play really good football and just seem to outplay a lot of their opponents.

Given a good window in January, and big push with some fortune re injuries etc and we could be in with a shout.

Personally can't see it and think 10th/9th is more likely this season.

Slow progress with the hope we make more significant strengthening of the first team and squad in the summer for a real crack at top 8 (7th-5th) next season.

Lots can go wrong, but lots could go right too.

Finishing 7th this year might actually be detrimental to the long term success of the project; the squad isn't going to be ready for Europe next year, its wafer thin. One or two additions in January followed by another successful summer puts us in a good position to push for European qualification next season. We'd then have another January & summer window to strengthen further for all the additional matches.

Better 8th and continue to progress than squeak 7th and end up spread too thin next year, win nothing and go backwards in the league.

5 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

Finishing 7th this year might actually be detrimental to the long term success of the project; the squad isn't going to be ready for Europe next year, its wafer thin. One or two additions in January followed by another successful summer puts us in a good position to push for European qualification next season. We'd then have another January & summer window to strengthen further for all the additional matches.

Better 8th and continue to progress than squeak 7th and end up spread too thin next year, win nothing and go backwards in the league.

If we finished 7th this year, we will recruit our little arses off next summer.

We are currently tracking 1.14 points per game. We need around 1.5 PPG to aim for the target of 58.5 points, which is the average you need for 7th.

On the positive, we have played the 2 best sides in the league and got a bonus point. On the down sides we undoubtedly dropped 2 against Bournemouth.

1 minute ago, STM said:

We are currently tracking 1.14 points per game. We need around 1.5 PPG to aim for the target of 58.5 points, which is the average you need for 7th.

On the positive, we have played the 2 best sides in the league and got a bonus point. On the down sides we undoubtedly dropped 2 against Bournemouth.

…and Palace…

18 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

819-8193345-emoticon-button-facebook-lik     Alan Pardew

Edited by HaydnNUFC

These are my thoughts. I'm a bit flat about our start but we have a great base to build from

Pros

- We are an absolute bastard to beat

- We can go toe to toe with the big boys even if ultimately we don't have the bench to see out the result

- Brilliant keeper

- Back 4 is excellent with decent cover in all areas without Krafth Injury

- Isak will probably stay fit and looks like he will get a good goal return

- Maxi looks a lot better if we can keep him fit, fucker tracks back and allsorts so he contributes to games even if he doesn't score a thunderbastard

- We are controlling games

Cons

- Results haven't gone our way

-I'm a bit concerned on the injury front. We don't seem to be able to rehabilitate players in normal time lines. 

-Need a winger ( Mybae Isak can play as an inside forward as trippier can get forward well enough) 

-need a DM so Bruno can play further forward. 

2 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

These are my thoughts. I'm a bit flat about our start but we have a great base to build from

Pros

- We are an absolute bastard to beat

- We can go toe to toe with the big boys even if ultimately we don't have the bench to see out the result

- Brilliant keeper

- Back 4 is excellent with decent cover in all areas without Krafth Injury

- Isak will probably stay fit and looks like he will get a good goal return

- Maxi looks a lot better if we can keep him fit, fucker tracks back and allsorts so he contributes to games even if he doesn't score a thunderbastard

- We are controlling games

Cons

- Results haven't gone our way

-I'm a bit concerned on the injury front. We don't seem to be able to rehabilitate players in normal time lines. 

-Need a winger ( Mybae Isak can play as an inside forward as trippier can get forward well enough) 

-need a DM so Bruno can play further forward. 

Nailed it for me.

We have done well to get to this point but just need to kick start our attack. January will be very interesting.

4 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Yeah I mean the only team that finished above us in 7-10th last season that's had a better start than us, despite our complaints, is Brighton - and they've just lost their highly rated manager. Whoever comes 7th is going to have a fair amount of wobbles and bad runs.

There's 7 or 8 others who haven't started as well as they would have liked, it's certainly not just worselves...

32 minutes ago, STM said:

It could be argued we got a bonus point yesterday, thought the penalty decision could easily have gone the other way. Their manager wasn't happy with it at all, the ball deflected from his knee to his hand, it wasn't really intentional.

When you look at the table, there are effectively 3 sides above us at the moment, who we wouldn't expect or want.

Brighton- We should expect to see a drop off in from after losing Potter, to what extent will depend on their next manager.

Fulham- Have had some great performances and results but I'd be surprised if even their fans think they will finish in the top 10 come May.

Brentford- 1 point above us at present. Apparently Leicester are sniffing for Thomas Frank. You'd like to think we will go above them.

In short we are in an ok position but some form now would be great.

7 minutes ago, STM said:

When you look at the table, there are effectively 3 sides above us at the moment, who we wouldn't expect or want.

Brighton- We should expect to see a drop off in from after losing Potter, to what extent will depend on their next manager.

Fulham- Have had some great performances and results but I'd be surprised if even their fans think they will finish in the top 10 come May.

Brentford- 1 point above us at present. Apparently Leicester are sniffing for Thomas Frank. You'd like to think we will go above them.

In short we are in an ok position but some form now would be great.

There are also a clutch of sides who can challenge us that aren't far off now either, such as Villa and Everton. I expect we'll finish above them tbh, but there's not that much difference in squad quality, if anything they probably have more depth.