The Round of 16

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Burn and Botman looking increasingly like the greatest hand-holders in defensive history here.  Schar looks like Schar again.  Get him home to Eddie.

Been ill this week apparently and don’t think playing as the middle CB in a three is doing him any favours at all, but he’s been shocking. At least he might be available for Bournemouth.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Burn and Botman looking increasingly like the greatest hand-holders in defensive history here.  Schar looks like Schar again.  Get him home to Eddie.

Aye, players don't have off days, he must be shit.

1 hour ago, LiquidAK said:

De Jong there citing Zidane as an example of going out in a gracious way :lol:

Come on, did that actually happen? 

Imagine VAR existing back then? He'd have been shot into the sun post red card. :lol: 

Get the idea to a degree of going to a back 3 with Widmer out as they don't really have another right back. But this has backfired atrociously, and they just look chaotic at the back.

All credit to Portugal though - look superb without Ronaldo.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I didn’t say he was shit - but the defensive partner he has clearly makes a difference.  He used to look shaky regularly for NUFC.  Botman / Burn are the perfect foil for him

He's just having a shit game. He's been ill this week and doesn't look comfortable as the central defender. It happens.

He's been class for us, regardless of his partner.

If this World cup hadn't been plonked in the middle of the Premier season, I'd really be enjoying this. I mean I still am, just feels all wrong to bust up a football league season to shoehorn this in.

As much as there's probably some defensiveness towards our players on here, there's also a weird tendency to jump at a chance to trash them from some. Least we have balance I guess.

Schar hasn't been great, but it's more that Portugal have been class and the Swiss on the whole look disorganised. Harsh to lay it all on him imo.