The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Some fun since we play Chelsea

W1-D2-L14. Even Cabbageheed/Cap'n Steakbake never got that bad.

I would look for data on our remaining opponents' managers, but they change that often that I don't know their names.

9 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Top 4 will be game changing 

What's that coefficient money? Literally "here's some extra cash for the 'big' teams"?

6 minutes ago, Cf said:

What's that coefficient money? Literally "here's some extra cash for the 'big' teams"?

From UEFA: “

About the rankings

The UEFA club coefficient rankings are based on the results of all European clubs in UEFA club competition.

The association club coefficient or country rankings take into account the results of all clubs from each association and are used to determine the number of entries an association is granted for forthcoming seasons.

The club coefficient rankings take into account the results of each club in UEFA club competition and are used to determine a club’s seeding in club competition draws.

The coefficients – from which the rankings are formed and which are based on performances over the last five seasons – will be updated directly after each completed round of UEFA club competition matches.”

Champions League qualification would certainly accelerate the evolution of the club. Should we manage it I'm sure the owners would be eternally grateful to Howe.

Given our current position, I think we'll do it. Now it's in our own hands there will be naturally disappointment of sorts if we fall short, but providing the wheels don't come off completely it's been a brilliant season regardless. 

1 hour ago, Cf said:

Yep.

1.1.2.3 Coefficient-based amounts (€600.6m)

Fees will be paid on the basis of performances over a ten-year period. In addition to coefficient points accumulated during this period, the ranking includes bonus points for winning the UCL/European Champion Clubs’ Cup, the UEL/UEFA Cup and the Cup Winners’ Cup. On the basis of these parameters, a ranking of the participating clubs has been established and the total amount of €600.6m has been divided into ‘coefficient shares’, with each share worth €1.137m. The lowest-ranked team will receive one share (€1.137m). One share will be added to every rank and so the highest-ranked team will receive 32 shares (€36.38m). The ten-year ranking can be found on UEFA.com: www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/tenyears/

If we were to qualify, inevitably as the lowest ranked team in the tournament, we'd get about €1million from that particular pot, whereas Man City/Man Utd would get upwards of €30million. Canny.

Obviously we're hardly one that can claim to be wronged by such a system, given that we take residence in the Premier League money pile anyway; but for the likes of - I dunno - Dinamo Zagreb, it really emphasises the imbalance.

19 hours ago, ohmelads said:

I'm confident Liverpool will go on a big run because of their fixtures and returning players.

Their next opponents Forest are in horrendous form. Then they travel to West Ham. That's a potentially tricky one depending on which West Ham turn up, but we saw first hand why they're struggling, and that's Liverpool's trickiest away fixture. Brentford (0 wins in their last 5) and Fulham (1 win in their last 6) look like they're already thinking about the beach so it's a perfect time to be playing them now. Villa and Spurs are the other tricky ones but both are at Anfield. Liverpool's other away games are Southampton and Leicester. I think I read they have the best remaining fixtures of any team in the league on paper. People will say look at their form over the season, but Thiago and Jota are back in the fold and there's basically a fully fit squad now. They made the same late season run two seasons ago.

They're a far bigger threat than Villa. They've got a game in hand on Villa and go level on pts with a win, and far better GD. Villa's fixtures are far tougher, as are Brighton's (they play Man City, Man U, plus Arsenal away, Villa away, and a cup game against Man U). Neither Villa nor Brighton have the huge squad depth Liverpool do or the number of players with experience of these situations, and to be honest, I don't see them getting the "breaks" from officials/var either when it really matters (look what happened to Brighton).

To go on the kind of run Liverpool need, you normally need the kinds of fixtures Liverpool have. 72 points (5 wins and a draw from our last 8) is a big ask but would put us mathematically out of reach of Liverpool, and I wouldn't see anyone matching that. Tottenham is must win for us and I reckon Spurs fans are thinking the same. I think neither side would take a draw if offered.

I thought Liverpool were out of it before our loss on Saturday, and in all likelihood they probably still are, but I also think they are capable of going on a run of wins. There's only one way we can keep that 4th spot and that is to do the business ourselves, and then what anybody else does is immaterial.

Absolutely. Winners win, so that's what we're going to need to do. I sympathize with people who are traumatised by everything falling apart in the past. But we've shown no sign of that since January last year. We shouldn't get too caught up thinking about fellow good teams possibly winning their games in hand, that's just how it works at this end of the table. Take care of ourselves in the position we're in and everything will be fine.

6 minutes ago, 80 said:

Absolutely. Winners win, so that's what we're going to need to do. I sympathize with people who are traumatised by everything falling apart in the past. But we've shown no sign of that since January last year. We shouldn't get too caught up thinking about fellow good teams possibly winning their games in hand, that's just how it works at this end of the table. Take care of ourselves in the position we're in and everything will be fine.

I'm hoping that loss to Villa will give our squad a real kick in the pants. It wasn't just a loss, we were beaten badly. It could shake confidence if we aren't sure of ourselves, but we have been playing good stuff for a season and a half now, so you would like to think this will serve as a wake up call to get back to doing what got us in a CL position in the first place. The lads should be itching to get out there and bury Spurs and any memory of that defeat last week.

I am very confident we'll beat Spurs. We're dominant at home, they're all over the place and don't even have a real manager. It's also the most significant match in terms of head to heads. Win that and then we only need a few more wins from our remaining games. Liverpool are capable of winning the majority of their remaining games but they're starting from very far behind to begin with. Brighton and Villa will slip up along the way given their fixture lists.

I’ll never feel fully confident when top teams with top class players (despite their current form) play us. I always feel they seem to raise their games when they play us. Liverpool bloody awful and then they come to SJP and dice us up. 

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I’ll never feel fully confident when top teams with top class players (despite their current form) play us. I always feel they seem to raise their games when they play us. Liverpool bloody awful and then they come to SJP and dice us up. 

Liverpool are different, they have some kind of witchcraft over us which hopefully we'll break in the coming seasons once the squad is elite level. Spurs are a brittle team even with Kane and I think if the atmosphere is the same as the Man Utd game they'll also wilt in the atmosphere like Man Utd did.

See, I still thought we could've gotten something out of Liverpool despite being 0-2 and with a man off. :lol:

It was a disaster of an afternoon, but them winning was down to us making errors and being caught out by direct play, which Liverpool have always been very good at. Man Utd tried to play a similar way to them, but we dealt with it well, as it perhaps doesn't come as naturally to them and they don't have the players for it. Certainly not with Weghorst up front.

Liverpool were pretty pants but we were in that awful phase where we couldn't hit a barn door, with the cup final on the horizon, and where teams were only just beginning to figure out that going direct against us is the best way to play us. Hopefully, that game and the Villa reminder at the weekend means we'll be a tiny bit more cautious/switched on to being sucker-punched out of it by Spurs. No doubt there'll be some hairy moments because of the quality they have, but we've proven multiple times we can deal with class players, especially when they're bottomed-out on confidence. It has the feel of an Arsenal last season/Chelsea this season more than a Liverpool, to me. Sickeningly confident.

^im with you overall and in the main @Rich I think we’re a different beast at home and we’ll play like we did versus Man United and Chelsea. Tactically clued in, cautious in def but very ruthless in pressing and attack. I’m up for this one. 

2 hours ago, 80 said:

When you look at the remaining fixtures for everyone it really is pointless at this stage speculating what everyone is going to do. It really is in our hands and we have a margin for error that most don't have. After next week's midweek games I think it will be clearer who is still in it and who we're actually rooting for in the remaining fixtures. 

The best outcome for us is that we take 7-9 points in the next three and Man United turn into draw merchants against Spurs, Villa, and Brighton, but Man United winning all of them and likely cementing third wouldn't be a bad outcome either.

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

When you look at the remaining fixtures for everyone it really is pointless at this stage speculating what everyone is going to do. It really is in our hands and we have a margin for error that most don't have. After next week's midweek games I think it will be clearer who is still in it and who we're actually rooting for in the remaining fixtures. 

The best outcome for us is that we take 7-9 points in the next three and Man United turn into draw merchants against Spurs, Villa, and Brighton, but Man United winning all of them and likely cementing third wouldn't be a bad outcome either.

yet you speculate [emoji38]

Did a little predictor:

4) Newcastle - 67

5) Brighton - 66

6) Liverpool - 65

7) Spurs - 65

8) Aston Villa - 61

Finishing top four would mean everything, as I don't think we can bank on Liverpool and Chelsea having another mare at the same time. It needs to happen this season.

7 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

Finishing top four would mean everything, as I don't think we can bank on Liverpool and Chelsea having another mare at the same time. It needs to happen this season.

I’ve had similar thoughts, about making the most of Liverpool and Chelsea having a bad season (plus Man U had a bad start).  But the thing is we’ve been so consistent, for such a long period, e.g. our points per game, particularly over the whole of 2022 (46 games from memory) was good enough for 4th place in the vast majority of seasons, that I don’t think we need to angst about other teams returning to their ‘norm-form’. We’ll have an even better squad next season and they need to worry about us.