The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

6 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

And say we did finish 4th would we have the opportunity to finish 4th next season? 

I think we’d have a far better chance, yeah. It elevates the club and everyone in it playing at that level. Makes it so much easier to attract your top targets and keep your top players happy.

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I think we’d have a far better chance, yeah. It elevates the club and everyone in it playing at that level. Makes it so much easier to attract your top targets and keep your top players happy.

Fair enough, I don't disagree 

I just feel the trajectory we are on, with no doubt a clear plan that we will get there 

29 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I do read the news, you know. As I’ve said, I don’t think they will be punished that hard. Modern football is broken in so many ways. As things are now, I think there will be formed a Super League somewhere in the future.  

2 minutes ago, maze said:

I do read the news, you know. As I’ve said, I don’t think they will be punished that hard. Modern football is broken in so many ways. As things are now, I think there will be formed a Super League somewhere in the future.  

But will be punished! 

I don't think us finishing top 4 this season is a must like some see it. We will invest big next summer anyway, but if we get to UCL we are going to need 5-6 new players to that squad for Europe alone. Our squad is paper thin. Top6 will do for me and constant progress. Teams like Chelsea and Liverpool are spending a lot more than us and they are desperate for CL football and money. We will get there for sure in a year or two.

Edited by KingArthur

3 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

But will be punished! 

After winning and enjoying countless league titles, cups, deep champions league runs and so increasing their profile, attractiveness and commercial revenue. Can an FFP fine really undo all the good they’ve gained by breaking it? 

4 minutes ago, KingArthur said:

I don't think us finishing top 4 this season is a must like some see it. We will invest big next summer anyway, but with if we get to UCL we are going to need 5-6 new players to that squad for Europe alone. Our squad is paper thin. Top6 will do for me and constant progress. Teams like Chelsea and Liverpool are spending a lot more than us and they are desperate for CL football and money. We will get there for sure in a year or two.

Don’t think people see it as a must, just a massive opportunity that we may not get again for a while. Can’t expect Chelsea and Liverpool to be as bad again.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Don’t think people see it as a must, just a massive opportunity that we may not get again for a while. Can’t expect Chelsea and Liverpool to be as bad again.

That is true, but we will be there every season soon enough anyway

7 minutes ago, greydos said:

After winning and enjoying countless league titles, cups, deep champions league runs and so increasing their profile, attractiveness and commercial revenue. Can an FFP fine really undo all the good they’ve gained by breaking it? 

Where does it say they're just getting a fine? 

The positive thing is we are still in the race for too 4 and out form has been off for a good 4 matches. Get Bruno back and games into Maxi, Isak and Gordan and we’ll be there or there abouts. Liverpool and Spurs aren’t that great. 

As far as I'm aware, no club has ever gone from fighting relegation to a CL place the following season.

Yet, here we have some of our fans talking about negligence etc etc. That's where we are folks. 

Imagine our owners reading some of these histrionics. 

2 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

As far as I'm aware, no club has ever gone from fighting relegation to a CL place the following season.

Yet, here we have some of our fans talking about negligence etc etc. That's where we are folks. 

A team has gone from fighting almost certain relegation to winning the league the following season though.

4 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Leicester literally did that. In fact they won the whole league.

17 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Unfortunately this level of delusion and entitlement is showing itself at home matches too, which is why the place is like a morgue.

The new owners have magnificently undone so much of the Ashley damage in a short space of time. The next really big challenge is to get all of the actual supporters together in one place within the stadium. It’s depressing how lacking in intensity the atmosphere is at SJP right now. 

Top 4 is looking increasingly difficult now, but I was always happy with a top 6 finish (which obviously isn't a given with only 8 points from the last 7 games, and many 'easier' matches passed up).

6th place would be Europa League if either Man Utd, Man City, or Spurs win the FA Cup and finish above us, but it would be Europa Conference if a Leicester, Brighton, Fulham type won it and finished below us.

It's easier to think this way when on a tough run, but a lot of our players are just not top 4, or even top 6 standard. We've got about 7 or 8 very good players (who we miss badly when out), and another 4 or 5 who are adequate, who ideally would be on the bench, but it will take another 3 or so transfer windows to get a squad that should be in and around the top 4/5, and won't happen overnight. We've done amazing to be in the position we are, but it was always going to be difficult for players to keep playing out of their skin, and we were bound to feel the consequences of injuries and suspensions more than all the other established clubs. The likes of Liverpool bringing Jota and Firmino on, while we're taking off Elliot Anderson and later bringing on Murphy and Matt Ritchie.

The 2024/25 season should have 5 teams from England in the Champions League, and while this was a good opportunity with many of the better sides not being at their usual standard, going forward, if it does generally become a 'big 7' then 5/7 is a lot more favourable than 4/6.

38 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

If we put up 70-75 points we'll there and there abouts most seasons, regardless of how other teams are doing.

24 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

A team has gone from fighting almost certain relegation to winning the league the following season though.

I stand corrected, but I think we can all agree that was a once in a lifetime anomaly.

Our progress has been insane this season, yet some still aren't happy.

What happens happens. Collectively, we need to bed in for the fight.

It's a much much rosier picture, but ironically I think we're at a similar stage in our season to where we were in early January last year. Only good option is to stand our ground and fight. Being accusatory and lamenting things helps nothing. Yes, we are on the wrong side of the transfer window, but the upside is just about everybody is dropping points like drunken sailors. So we should slog on and treat every game like a cup final.

Edited by 80

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

Think what you want. We had a great chance to build upon a very flattering brilliant first half of the season and we didn’t despite it being glaring obvious how poor we are in depth. I don’t want to negative but I just don’t see us having the same opportunity next season. 

We’ve made fantastic strides assisted hugely by Almiron’s purple patch but anyone defending that abysmal transfer window is the one embarrassing themselves. 

Aye. I love that we have a real plan but sometimes you have to deviate when faced with a massive opportunity. 

We could be a much better team next season and further away from the top 4. 

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

Think what you want. We had a great chance to build upon a very flattering brilliant first half of the season and we didn’t despite it being glaring obvious how poor we are in depth. I don’t want to negative but I just don’t see us having the same opportunity next season. 

We’ve made fantastic strides assisted hugely by Almiron’s purple patch but anyone defending that abysmal transfer window is the one embarrassing themselves. 

No Idea Reaction GIF by Bounce