The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

And until Silverstone and Eales and co announce new deals to advance us then we’ve got a big fucking problem on our hands. I’m sure they will in a few weeks, or very soon, as the local press has alluded to - and I’lll be ready to congratulate the clubs deal makers in doing so. They inherited shit deals, that much we all know and I get that. But these executives were hired to grow that side of the business. So get it done. 

Sometimes think our fans are missing the sleight of hand being played by the club.

While we are all looking at what's going on on the pitch, have a look at what's being done off it, for a clue as to how ambitious we intend on being.

If being smart with our money allows us to invest in our infrastructure, our scouting, our medical team, our facilities, our future, I can just about let them get away with not going overboard in the transfer market.

So far, they have hired the cream of the footballing world to take this club forward. I couldn't be more relaxed about the future.

28 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

Lifting?

How about less straw man, less hysteria and more discussion.

I'm not sure how that's a straw man, it's discussed to death EVERY week.

Did the January transfer leave us short in midfield? Yes.

Could we have further improved the first team without impacting our summer plans? No, according to the club.

Would further additions have prevented the dearth of goals? We don't know.

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

That’s where I think we will be around, expect Brighton, Liverpool, Brentford and Villa to be above us.

That’s exactly what I think will happen and I’ll be fine with that and say it’s been a successful season as I’m glad we’re taking our time in spending etc and getting things done to a long term plan.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm not sure how that's a straw man, it's discussed to death EVERY week.

Did the January transfer leave us short in midfield? Yes.

Could we have further improved the first team without impacting our summer plans? No, according to the club.

Would further additions have prevented the dearth of goals? We don't know.

You’re wasting your time man - everyone on here is a financial expert and they know better than the expensive money men that have all of the data in front on them that the club have employed. I’m not sure what their reasoning why we didn’t spend more in January is though if it’s not FFP constraints.

8 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

That’s exactly what I think will happen and I’ll be fine with that and say it’s been a successful season as I’m glad we’re taking our time in spending etc and getting things done to a long term plan.

I think it would be massively disappointing to finish below 7th at this stage. Top 7 would be great.

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I think it would be massively disappointing to finish below 7th at this stage. Top 7 would be great.

Only because your expectations are higher with us being up there all season - to get a top 10 finish and a cup final in first full season with new owners is not massively disappointing in my eyes.

Obviously good that Spurs lost, based on current form they're the most catchable of the teams above us. With current points and games in hand, doing that is in our own hands.

Even in the games we've lost, including today, I don't think we've exactly performed badly. It feels like a spawny 1-0 win could be enough to turn our luck round and send us on another run.

I'd still be over the moon with a top 4 finish, because that would be one hell of an overperformance with the squad we've got. Whatever, we don't deserve less than 7th based on the season so far which would be good.

So hopefully we're not looking behind us and will concentrate on giving the teams above us a scare for the rest of the season.

I think everyone has this idea of what a 'top X and a cup run' looks like in their minds, almost where wins, draws, and losses are spread equally throughout the season. And the same with performances.

I also think end of season form dictates everything. eg, if our August to December form happened from January to May, after a rough start and we ended up in 7th and a cup final, everyone would be absolutely chuffed, whereas if our form dips from now until the end of the season and we end up 7th with a cup final, a lot more people are going to be gutted and asking questions, even though at the start of the season they'd have snapped your hand off for it.

Edited by Kid Icarus

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I think everyone has this idea of what a 'top X and a cup run' looks like in their minds, almost where wins, draws, and losses are spread equally throughout the season. And the same with performances.

I also think end of season form dictates everything. eg, if our August to December form happened from January to May, after a rough start and we ended up in 7th and a cup final, everyone would be absolutely chuffed, whereas if our form dips from now until the end of the season and we end up 7th with a cup final, a lot more people are going to be gutted and asking questions, even though at the start of the season they'd have snapped your hand off for it.

Basically what happened at Leicester with Rodgers, they tailed off and finished 5th twice in a row and it was viewed as a failure by their fans. Despite it being a big achievement and huge step up from the midtable finishes they were used to in the previous years. 

I don't know how people can say "we aren't getting top four" with such certainty, when we're four points off with two games in hand.

Obviously our form would need to change, but form can and does change on a regular basis. 

I'll qualify that with I've thought from the off top four is unlikely, but I can't unequivocally say that it won't happen given our league position.

3 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

I clearly haven’t been looking far enough down the table since I didn’t realise that Villa are only 7 points behind us. 

Emery has done a brilliant job, he’s a top quality manager.

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to today because Man City away is the hardest game of the season and we could have lost 2-0 even during our purple patch before the World Cup. 2023 is a huge concern though.

Im at the stage now where I’ll rule out top four if we don’t beat Wolves. Another shite draw or a shock defeat will be enough evidence for me that we can’t do it. We’ve fucked about with shite draws too much and we’ve allowed Spurs to overtake us and we’ve allowed Liverpool to close the gap completely. Infact if Liverpool and Fulham win this weekend we’re 7th Monday night. 

If we can’t turn it around next weekend then I think top four is beyond us, and that’s no shame at all. Top fucking four like, who’d have thought it? Top 6 would still be a remarkable season, but I just think that we’ve to hit a run now or we’ll be left behind, probably by Liverpool.

Liverpool look to have found some (unconvincing) form at the right time and will be making a charge for that 4th spot, Spurs will continue to fluctuate, top 3 is settled regardless of the order. I'm not too worried about the teams below Liverpool as their form isn't great either. Having said that we need to start winning, but before that we need to start scoring! We still have the meanest defence in the league but only Chelsea are worse than us in the top 10 for GF. 

From this stand point top 4 is still numerically in our hands, however I don't envision us dropping out the top 6 unless continue on this barren run, it's been a tough slog this winter but we will turn the corner soon.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Emery has done a brilliant job, he’s a top quality manager.

He's done a good job, and he's a good manager. If he was top quality then he would have succeeded at Arsenal instead of losing the respect of his squad, and he would have had the balls to take the Newcastle job instead of changing his mind, then changing his mind again and getting a National Express coach to the Midlands in classic FOMO fashion. I think a bloke who has that much trouble making his mind up can't be a top coach.

Just now, TRon said:

He's done a good job, and he's a good manager. If he was top quality then he would have succeeded at Arsenal instead of losing the respect of his squad, and he would have had the balls to take the Newcastle job instead of changing his mind, then changing his mind again and getting a National Express coach to the Midlands in classic FOMO fashion. I think a bloke who has that much trouble making his mind up can't be a top coach.

Poor take, Howe got relegated with Bournemouth so does that mean he can’t be a top manager ? 

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Poor take, Howe got relegated with Bournemouth so does that mean he can’t be a top manager ? 

Howe has always known what he wants and where he wants to go. That's the difference.

We've scored 3 goals since the start of the year and are still 5th with a possibility of being 4th if we win our games in hand. 

It's not as doom and gloom as some are making out. We aren't going to be palying City or Liverpool a man down most weeks. We've had 12 months of top 4 form and are creating enough chances to be winning most games still. The fact we've had such a bad run and are still in such a strong position says alot about our rivals as well. There's more chance we regain some form than continue missing sitters every week. Might not be enough for 4th but I'd very very surprised if we drop to 9th like some are claiming.