The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

619 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

6 hours ago, madras said:

Bilbao brought a few for the UEFA cup and that was before those games.

Think its the straight knock-out versus league format is a factor. No immediacy with the CL format (all formats now - at least one should be a knock-out)

Metz, Dinamo Zagreb in the 90s all sold out - and Roma brought a fair wedge. Then so did Kiev and PSV in the CL.

Maybe its more that there was no novelty to Europe for a lot of these clubs, in it every year and more so for Italian and Spanish sides who were a big game for others but not vice-versa.

39 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It'll be because we're effectively three points ahead of them, with only a slightly more difficult run in.

Don't think GD comes into it with a two point gap (at the minute obviously).

9 hours ago, Wullie said:

The one on Montjuic? Didn't know that. Did Espanyol used to play there or have I made that up?

I think you're right. I think Espanyol did play there.

Edited by Scoreboard82

Not sure why I'm doing this but... I will apologise for being worried constantly. Not entirely sure why I'm like that but I think it's mainly just due to sheer desperation of wanting it so badly. I do think people should be allowed to vent that they're worried as much as those who are really upbeat remain positive. It's a forum.

FWIW I've never once said - or believed - we won't do it post-Man U in April, just that I was worried. 12 points (after Liverpool drew with Arsenal at Easter) has became 3 so I understand why people are nervous. Thank God Salah missed that pen :lol: 

But yes, apologies for worrying and rubbing people up the wrong way. I can be canny anxious as a person tbf so I'll refrain from posting in this thread for my own sanity as well as all yours!

P.S Yes @LV I've got my nappies ready to take on the train to Leeds this weekend. Got a feeling I'll need them for kick-off :lol: 

27 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Not sure why I'm doing this but... I will apologise for being worried constantly. Not entirely sure why I'm like that but I think it's mainly just due to sheer desperation of wanting it so badly. I do think people should be allowed to vent that they're worried as much as those who are really upbeat remain positive. It's a forum.

FWIW I've never once said - or believed - we won't do it post-Man U in April, just that I was worried. 12 points (after Liverpool drew with Arsenal at Easter) has became 3 so I understand why people are nervous. Thank God Salah missed that pen :lol: 

But yes, apologies for worrying and rubbing people up the wrong way. I can be canny anxious as a person tbf so I'll refrain from posting in this thread for my own sanity as well as all yours!

P.S Yes @LV I've got my nappies ready to take on the train to Leeds this weekend. Got a feeling I'll need them for kick-off :lol: 

:lol:

Fair play mate 

46 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

As a poster who dabbled in the bedwetter crack, nerves are entirely normal and part of football. You won't be the only one with nervous excitement pre-kick off.

I think all that winds people up is constant and sometimes hysterical reactions to both our own and Liverpool's results, particularly given the favourable position we find ourselves in. Overplaying the difficulty of our fixtures, playing down our form and ability while simultaneously underplaying the difficulty of Liverpool's fixtures and exaggerating the way they are playing have been fairly common. As has plucking out selective historical events that occurred a decent number of years ago as to why we will be caught. 

This is what we've always wanted though, the nervous excitement of supporting a club that tries to compete for the top prizes in football. Of course it will be sting if we don't succeed in finishing top four, but now the consolation prizes is fifth and Europa League football rather than relegation. Something I think we all would have taken pre-season. 

Based on the season to date though, it is too early to panic or think about fifth. There is a chance Liverpool could catch us, but fourth is still very much in our hands. At present we require a maximum of seven points from four very winnable games, that's a maximum that will shrink with every point that Liverpool drop. We're in good form and seem mentally strong and capable of recovering from set backs. As well as that, Man United are also well in the mix and struggling to score goals. 

Nervousness I understand, but revelling in negativity and exaggerating the chances of Liverpool catching us at this stage seem strange to me when supporting us hasn't been as good for decades. Of course the worst case scenario has and occassionally does occur, but that shouldn't suck the enjoyment out of what has been a magnificent season from all involved. 

Edited by The Prophet

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

As a poster who dabbled in the bedwetter crack, nerves are entirely normal and part of football. You won't be the only one with nervous excitement pre-kick off.

I think all that winds people up is constant and sometimes hysterical reactions to both our own and Liverpool's result, particularly given the favourable position we find ourselves in. Overplaying the difficulty of our fixtures, playing down our form and ability while simultaneously underplaying the difficulty of Liverpool's fixtures and exaggerating the way they are playing have been fairly common. As has plucking out selective historical events that occurred a decent number of years ago as to why we will be caught. 

This is what we've always wanted though, the nervous excitement of supporting a club that tries to compete for the top prizes in football. Of course it will be sting if we don't succeed in finishing top four, but now the consolation prizes is fifth and Europa League football rather than relegation. Something I think we all would have taken pre-season. 

Based on the season to date though, it is too early to panic or think about fifth. There is a chance Liverpool could catch us, but fourth is still very much in our hands. At present we require a maximum of seven points from four very winnable games, that's a maximum that will shrink with every point that Liverpool drop. We're in good form and seem mentally strong and capable of recovering from set backs. As well as that, Man United are also well in the mix and struggling to score goals. 

Nervousness I understand, but revelling in negativity and exaggerating the chances of Liverpool catching us at this stage seem strange to me when supporting us hasn't been as good for decades. Of course the worst case scenario has and sometimes does occur, but that shouldn't suck the enjoyment out of what has been a magnificent season from all involved. 

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Top Top post, 100%. 

Edited by Kanji

Weirdly, I feel pretty chill between CL and EL even though the former would be such a massive leg up for us and help us to presumably attract some unbelievable talent. For me, I feel more desperate for us to reach 20 wins than anything else. Something feels very satisfying to me about winning more than half of our games.

I think everyone is anxious to some degree. I've been as confident as anyone in this thread, but I also won't play the CL theme until it's done. Feels like bad karma. I would also be worried if we had to go to Stamford Bridge on the last day needing something (despite the fact they are terrible). 

The main things that bothered me in this thread were the panic about Villa and now the extreme panic about Liverpool that seems to ignore the fact that 1) their results are only consequential if we fuck up to a degree we have not seen this season 2) Man United are in a worse position than we are, which is why we have a roughly 2 in 3 chance of finishing 3rd.

Oh, and that some of the ridiculous discussion about odds and projections has made me feel like Nate Silver superfan #1.

Edited by timeEd32

I honestly dont think we need to worry about liverpool. 
Manu are deffo going to drop some points as they have wolves (h), Bournmouth (a), chelsea and fulham at home.

I reckon they will get six points max from those games

4 minutes ago, buzza said:

Manu are deffo going to drop some points as they have wolves (h), Bournmouth (a), chelsea and fulham at home.

Minimum 9 points.

Much like ourselves - the games are there for the taking. No excuses.

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I think all that winds people up is constant and sometimes hysterical reactions to both our own and Liverpool's results, particularly given the favourable position we find ourselves in. Overplaying the difficulty of our fixtures, playing down our form and ability while simultaneously underplaying the difficulty of Liverpool's fixtures and exaggerating the way they are playing have been fairly common. As has plucking out selective historical events that occurred a decent number of years ago as to why we will be caught. 

Nervousness I understand, but revelling in negativity and exaggerating the chances of Liverpool catching us at this stage seem strange to me when supporting us hasn't been as good for decades. Of course the worst case scenario has and occassionally does occur, but that shouldn't suck the enjoyment out of what has been a magnificent season from all involved. 

Exactly how I see it in my head just couldnt lay out like you have for some reason, so thank you!

I've not really shit myself about anything this season, I've honestly loved every part of it. Cup losses, crunch game defeats and all.

The feeling of your club attempting to be relevant again, trying to compete even if we don't have the best side is honestly like a breath of fresh air!

Roll on these last few games and hopefully we stick a big champions league cherry on top of this cake.

HWTL :indi:

19 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Results are unpredictable at this stage of the season, look at the Brighton v Everton game as an example.

They're always unpredictable to a point. Look at Leeds at Liverpool, Brentford at Man City etc.

I wonder what the other gamblers on here think but I tend to find things go more to form at this stage.

1 hour ago, buzza said:

Manu are deffo going to drop some points as they have wolsves (h), Bournmouth (a), chelsea and fulhaim at home.

They are struggling to score, hope it continues.

5 hours ago, Chicken Dancer said:

That's pretty much me too.

Its more a case of not wanting to count my chickens and tempt fate when it comes to NUFC. And that colliding with people that feel different and vice-versa.  One's sides percieved hubris bothers the other and the other sides doubting the other.

Whilst seeing potential pit-falls in any game - a debut, new manager, return from injury, good record against, bad record against is actually often a sign that logically (on the field) I feel were covered.

1 hour ago, black_n_white said:

Results are unpredictable at this stage of the season, look at the Brighton v Everton game as an example.

The form we went down in under Rafa was better than the form we finished 2nd in under Keegan.

2 hours ago, buzza said:

Be shocked if Man Utd don’t get at least 10 points with those games tbh 

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

The form we went down in under Rafa was better than the form we finished 2nd in under Keegan.

And that wasn't good. 2 wins I think before we were relegated 

9 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Be shocked if Man Utd don’t get at least 10 points with those games tbh 

They look well out of sorts at the moment and have a few injuries.

if wolves turn up they are difficult, bournemouth have shown they can perform every now and again. Chelsea & Fulham are well capable of making it difficult…

I can see them dropping points

3 minutes ago, buzza said:

They look well out of sorts at the moment and have a few injuries.

if wolves turn up they are difficult, bournemouth have shown they can perform every now and again. Chelsea & Fulham are well capable of making it difficult…

I can see them dropping points

You can say that about any team then, what evidence is there Chelsea will "make it difficult" they've just won their first game in god knows how many games 😂

Man U have the tamest run in, I still think it will be us and them with Liverpool leaving it a couple of gameweeks too late.