The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - NUFC to enter Conference League if Man City win FA Cup

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

621 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

We need to win 4 and draw 1 of our final 7 games to finish above Liverpool.

I know Brighton can get more points than Liverpool, but if they mess up in just 1 games this season they can’t. They play us at SJP, and they play teams around them, and average 3 games, so they will end up dropping points.

Our form this season so far indicates that we would get the 4 wins and at least 1 draw that would be required.

On top of this, in our remaining fixtures we play 4 of the current bottom 5 in the league. A Chelsea team who in absolute free fall, an Arsenal team who are slipping up and could be 2nd in the title race by the time we play them, and a Brighton team who will likely be knackered by the time we play them.

I think at the moment the problem is that we play after Liverpool, so when they get a good result we are looking at it as them putting pressure on us. As someone else has mentioned though, if we beat Everton tonight, and Southampton on Sunday, we could be 12 points clear of Liverpool before they next play, and all of a sudden their fans will be thinking like we are now.

If we do win both of those games then we could be in a position where we only need 7 points out of 5 games to mathematically confirm our place.

I do not fear Liverpool, who are ropey at the back and ekeing out wins with set pieces.

If you do fear them, note that they will not catch our goal difference with the single goal wins they are having.

56 minutes ago, Stottie said:

I do not fear Liverpool, who are ropey at the back and ekeing out wins with set pieces.

If you do fear them, note that they will not catch our goal difference with the single goal wins they are having.

7 goals is absolutely nowt in terms of GD, a game or two can easily change that

I'm not saying that Liverpool will overtake us but I don't think we necessarily have the GD edge because if Liverpool win all their games as some expect then there won't be much in it in terms of GD*

*Though hopefully we can change that by getting a couple of comprehensive wins against Everton and Southampton 

7 games left. 3 wins and 4 draws would mathematically do it regardless of however many hypothetical 25-0 wins anyone else manages. What a great position to be in.

I'd happily take tonight as one of those draws and back us to do enough in the remaining 6 games.

Be a good test as well. It's going to be a hostile atmosphere and we will need to be calm and clever enough to play the game not the occasion and not rile the crowd up unnecessarily. Balls it up tonight and Leeds away suddenly looks a bit more scary.

It's feasible that Liverpool win all their remaining games, but it's not likely. Their longest winning streak this season is 4. Within their last 7 games they've lost and drawn to bottom half sides. They've had a good few games but it's not like they're on this long run of unbeatable form. I can see them doing well, but don't expect max points.

we’ve had 6 wins out of 7

we’re 3rd in the league

we just annihilated Spurs

we’ve only lost 4 all season

we’re 3rd in the form table over last 6 games

we’ve got an outstanding GD

we’ve got a mean defence

we’ve hit goal scoring form

It’s in our hands

Trust in Eddie, his amazing team and this amazing squad and stop pissing in your y-fronts  

Edited by bobbydazzla

ManU's fixtures don't look easy like. Especially when considering the players they have/might have out combined with fatique maybe. They have played one game less but i can see them dropping more points than us in the coming say 3-4 games. 

Edited by Ikon

Liverpool have dropped points against Everton, Leeds, Forest, Bournemouth, Palace and Wolves this season.

They're more than capable of going on a run and if they win nine in a row, fair play to them. But give their inconsistencies this season, it seems unlikely.

Everton's record at Goodison is 5 wins, 3 draws, 8 losses, that ain't no fortress. Dyche has certainly been no messiah since taking over either and they're the lowest scoring team in the league. We are odds on favourites for a reason, we should smash them.

The only issue I see is if we have a bit of a wobble the next couple of games but there’s nothing to suggest that’ll happen. Even a draw tonight and a win on Sunday would be ok. I also fancy us against Arsenal at home with a roaring atmosphere. 

What would really help is if Spurs players show some backbone for Mason and turn in a couple of displays tonight and on Sunday. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

12 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

The only issue I see is if we have a bit of a wobble the next couple of games but there’s nothing to suggest that’ll happen. Even a draw tonight and a win on Sunday would be ok. I also fancy us against Arsenal at home with a roaring atmosphere. 

What would really help is if Spurs players show some backbone for Mason and turn in a couple of displays tonight and on Sunday. 

Not too good a display though. Just the right level of good. A "let's get a draw" level ideally.

Premier League top four chances for Newcastle United reassessed after Wednesday’s Liverpool and Brighton results

The super computer model probability predictions are based on the FiveThirtyEight revision to the Soccer Power Index, which is a rating mechanism for football teams which takes account of over half a million matches, and is based on Opta‘s play-by-play data.

We can see how the computer model now rates the percentage probability for Newcastle United compared to what their prediction was before these midweek results, current percentage prediction of Premier League top four and in brackets what it was after the weekend matches:

Arsenal 100% (99%)

Man City 99% (99%)

Man Utd 88% (85%)

Newcastle United 87%  (86%)

Liverpool 17% (10%)

Brighton 5% (17%)

Tottenham 2% (2%)

Aston Villa 1% (less than 1%)

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

are manu fans as worried about liverpool as we are on here?

Generally speaking, no. It would take a collapse from us and an amazing run of form from Liverpool. 

While it's mathmetically possible though I don't want to get carried away, especially with our injuries and the fact there's still some bottlers in our squad.