The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

4 hours ago, Paullow said:

Kind of mixed on there. I guess those a little older will be more inclined to go for the cup, although I guess you could argue that finishing 4th could spearhead greater trophy success in the near future.

Surprised it would be so mixed. Not even close for me - League Cup. We've not won a trophy in over 50 years (almost 70 since more than a handful got to actually see it). It'd be my greatest day as a fan so far, no doubt - dreamt of it as long as I can remember being sentient, and under Ashley really started to wonder if I'd ever see it. Champions League is class too obviously but it's not a cup (and we've done it relatively recently).

Edited by Inferior Acuña

It's easy to forget we are only half way, but our home form/fixtures do give me huge confidence we can pull this off. I still think the owners will twist this month and we will see a summer signing brought forward to give everyone a lift and inject some quality into the squad.

Just like last season, I think going out in the 3rd rd of FA Cup will be a blessing, as painful as it is.

What will be interesting is if we go a stretch of 2/3 games with poor results how we react, but the next few games look kind on paper and definitely an opportunity to build a bit of a gap. If we can get 7pts from our next 3, that Liverpool game at 17:30 (hopefully before a cup final) will be fucking rocking. If we can put a double digit points gap between us and them that day, I don't see them catching us. Spurs I would worry about if they bin Conte and get a bounce, but we can definitely do them up here.

Bring it on.

Our defence is that good I just can’t see us losing many games.

if we beat liverpool and spurs that will be an extra 3 points ahead of both of them which would be a big gap.

I feel confident we can get 4th but would like 2/3 signings for added depth/options.

Can we win another 10 games? I think so. 

10 wins, 4 draws and 5 losses will have us on 72 points,. Right in the mix for Champions League. 

Which is just astounding when you think about this time last year. 

Even if we don't quite get there. I'm just going to enjoy the ride. 

On 16/01/2023 at 17:23, Inferior Acuña said:

Surprised it would be so mixed. Not even close for me - League Cup. We've not won a trophy in over 50 years (almost 70 since more than a handful got to actually see it). It'd be my greatest day as a fan so far…

Totally get it, can’t describe/imagine how much emotion would wash over me if we won the league cup. That said, the not winning anything since 1969 always jars as the 1992-3, 2009-10, and 2016-17 ‘trophy wins’ felt more than just promotion … 

AAB9CB47-A7B9-4A99-8C6E-365E95485737.thumb.jpeg.dafb766179668f4bbebe8c7c1264ff21.jpeg

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

4 hours ago, 54 said:

Screenshot_20230117-155855.png

30 minutes ago, Dr. TC said:

That is brilliant to see. So we've played 6 of the other top 9 away, and only 3 of the bottom 10. 

Seen the one highlighting Spurs earlier and, honestly, couldn't make head nor tale of what it all meant. Looking at our's there and the penny's just dropped. 

Sometimes I'm thick as whale spunk, me like 🙄

On 16/01/2023 at 17:25, Miggys First Goal said:

image.png.804c77c2b4e10246a12d21bf0ac564fe.png

Exactly. We don't have a match in between the two Southampton games so there's an extra break there, and if we get into the final its going to be played during a weekend anyway. The extra legwork has already been done with the midweek games to get us this far, it costs us nothing now to go for both. 

There is no either / or for me - it's why not to both. 

Re: the league cup, we've got to be better than 2 two teams over the course of 3 matches. Toss-up but we've got the quality to do it.

Re: the league, I fancy us to push on and take a CL spot but will be more than happy with even getting Europa league as well. I want European football next year, deep down. 

2 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Totally get it, can’t describe/imagine how much emotion would wash over me if we won the league cup. That said, the not winning anything since 1969 always jars as the 1992-3, 2009-10, and 2016-17 ‘trophy wins’ felt more than just promotion … 

AAB9CB47-A7B9-4A99-8C6E-365E95485737.thumb.jpeg.dafb766179668f4bbebe8c7c1264ff21.jpeg

I'm too young to remember the 92/93 promotion, but I was on the pitch at Plymouth in 09 and the Barnsley match in 17. It sounds like 92/93 was a bit different (e.g. the parade!) but as fun as 09 and 17, for me, they were more about relief, making the most of the situation for a bit of a party and being first was the cherry on top, I can't say the being champions part was really important to me in a way that was comparable to a cup -i.e.  I've had many more memorable moments than the last minute championship win v Barnsley. Possibly the closest I've had to the cup winning feeling was winning the semis in 98 and 99.

17 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I'm too young to remember the 92/93 promotion, but I was on the pitch at Plymouth in 09 and the Barnsley match in 17. It sounds like 92/93 was a bit different (e.g. the parade!) but as fun as 09 and 17, for me, they were more about relief, making the most of the situation for a bit of a party and being first was the cherry on top, I can't say the being champions part was really important to me in a way that was comparable to a cup -i.e.  I've had many more memorable moments than the last minute championship win v Barnsley. Possibly the closest I've had to the cup winning feeling was winning the semis in 98 and 99.

Yep, was at both those FA Cup semis (Sheff Utd and Spurs) at Old Trafford. Magnificent feelings (whole stand bouncing at one of them!). And was at the next one, following year?,  at Wembley (only time I have seen us score there). Less good feels, pisser of a journey back.