The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

619 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

39 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I started it but gave up after 3 matchdays, is someone able to work out Villa & Spurs' points swings in their like for like games? 

By my very rough calculation, Spurs are 11 points better off and Villa 2.

Yeah seeing everyone else's point swings would be interesting, especially in comparison to ours, I'm suprised at villa only being 2 better off as they have started exceptionally, though if they won these fixtures last year the fair enough. 

Tottenham, Villa and Liverpool you'd think will score more points or potentially could do

, man u, Brighton and Chelsea perhaps around a similar level

On 28/10/2023 at 23:43, Ronaldo said:

That’s the point surely. We finished 4th way ahead of Villa and Brighton etc last season and they’ve got more matches too. Spurs have lost their best player. The whole point of the transfer window was to prepare for those additional fixtures and try to consolidate our place, surely? If we finish 7th or 8th the owner will ask why the money was spent as it was on players who thus far aren’t able / being allowed to contribute. 

This isn't really a fair way to look at it. We finished 4th last year exceeding everyone's expectations after 18 months prior heading straight for relegation. The team needed serious investment to make up for the preceding years. That investment happened in consecutive windows in 2022 without any real progress on the revenue side. We've been playing a revenue vs. outgoings balancing act ever since then. 

On the bolded bit - per all reports everyone involved in running the club is involved in our transfer strategy. It would have presumably been a group decision to take the approach we did. I'm sure Yasir has asked why we didn't know about Tonali's gambling habits but ultimately that's a bad break as is Barnes. We've had additional bad luck with Willock, Joelinton, Botman, Murphy, and Isak. Our two most promising youngsters are also unavailable right now due to injury / illness. It seems pretty disingenuous to question why we signed two extremely promising fullbacks when we have almost an entire XI unavailable for various reasons.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

So some very quick fag packet maths, from the teams in and around us last year:

Man United -7

Us +3

Liverpool +3

Villa +2

Brighton -2

Spurs +11

That would put us 3rd right?

We got 6 points from Spurs. 4 from Man U. That was massive. We would do brilliantly to get 6 points from Spurs again. Any less and they overtake us in that comparison.

Every single thing about the club at the moment is positive. Even the bumps in the road are bumps along a shiny gold plated highway.

Tonalis ban? The fact we signed a player of his calibre still delights me

Fixture congestion? Aye coz we are actually in europe and competing in cups.

Big injury list? Yep, still only lost 1 in 10, in all comps.

Could have signed more ready made players? Fair but I've begged for an actual medium/long term transfer strategy.

This idea that "well they could have done this better" seems a bit bizarre to me.... so what? As long as they overall trend of our strategy and planning is upward, I couldn't give a toss.

25 minutes ago, STM said:

Every single thing about the club at the moment is positive. Even the bumps in the road are bumps along a shiny gold plated highway.

Could have signed more ready made players? Fair but I've begged for an actual medium/long term transfer strategy.

This idea that "well they could have done this better" seems a bit bizarre to me.... so what? As long as they overall trend of our strategy and planning is upward, I couldn't give a toss.

Post of the week

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

This isn't really a fair way to look at it. We finished 4th last year exceeding everyone's expectations after 18 months prior heading straight for relegation. The team needed serious investment to make up for the preceding years. That investment happened in consecutive windows in 2022 without any real progress on the revenue side. We've been playing a revenue vs. outgoings balancing act ever since then. 

On the bolded bit - per all reports everyone involved in running the club is involved in our transfer strategy. It would have presumably been a group decision to take the approach we did. I'm sure Yasir has asked why we didn't know about Tonali's gambling habits but ultimately that's a bad break as is Barnes. We've had additional bad luck with Willock, Joelinton, Botman, Murphy, and Isak. Our two most promising youngsters are also unavailable right now due to injury / illness. It seems pretty disingenuous to question why we signed two extremely promising fullbacks when we have almost an entire XI unavailable for various reasons.

Well no, it doesn’t. Neither of them are getting a game even when the other full backs are fucked.

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Livramento and Hall could be our full backs for the next decade, it seems pretty obvious why we signed them.

All well and good if we had a bit more room to manoeuvre in the budget. The Tonali thing you can't mitigate for, the Barnes injury unfortunate, but as it stands today we've effectively spent the best part of £140m and swapped Jamal Lewis and Harrison Ashby for two other benchwarmers who are far better but don't see the pitch much more than they did.

They'll both turn out to be good players for us I'm sure but it's not going to do us a lot of good in the short term.

1 hour ago, STM said:

No relegationometer too! Enjoy the ride. :indi:

33 minutes ago, Pilko said:

All well and good if we had a bit more room to manoeuvre in the budget. The Tonali thing you can't mitigate for, the Barnes injury unfortunate, but as it stands today we've effectively spent the best part of £140m and swapped Jamal Lewis and Harrison Ashby for two other benchwarmers who are far better but don't see the pitch much more than they did.

They'll both turn out to be good players for us I'm sure but it's not going to do us a lot of good in the short term.

With the squad being as thin as it is, it was difficult to win that regard. If Trippier had picked up an injury early doors we'd almost certainly be questioning why we didn't sign a right back. It just so happens we've picked up a lot of injuries further up the pitch.

As for Hall, he hasn't done too much damage to the budget. His availability on a loan-to-buy was probably the reason we were interested.

Hall may not even be up to Eddie's standard yet... It takes months to learn the ropes and he's super young. He also didn't have any kind of pre season which is very difficult. It takes aagggesss to be "Eddie Fit"

9 hours ago, The Prophet said:

So some very quick fag packet maths, from the teams in and around us last year:

Man United -7

Us +3

Liverpool +3

Villa +2

Brighton -2

Spurs +11

10 games in and we're ahead of Brighton, Man U and Chelsea. Finishing top five means staying ahead of them and overtaking one of Liverpool, Villa, Spurs, and Arsenal, included because they're not on City's level. We've only played two of them, both at home, but outplayed both of them and should have taken all the points. :rant:

Just on Tottenham, but they'd won something like 11 in a row at home when we played there on Oct 24 last year. Schar overhits one over the top, Lloris chests it, and a year later its us in the CL. 

13 hours ago, The Prophet said:

With the squad being as thin as it is, it was difficult to win that regard. If Trippier had picked up an injury early doors we'd almost certainly be questioning why we didn't sign a right back. It just so happens we've picked up a lot of injuries further up the pitch.

As for Hall, he hasn't done too much damage to the budget. His availability on a loan-to-buy was probably the reason we were interested.

Aye on the Hall one, I’m not sure it was a case of we signed Hall and couldn’t get anyone else. I think we signed him as he was the only one of our targets available for a loan to buy deal. If we hadn’t have signed him I don’t think it means someone else would have come in.

16 hours ago, STM said:

I don't mind discussions on what can and could have been done better (as long as it isn't in the form of the feces flinging criticism we too often see in match threads). This is a discussion forum after all, but I hope for the vast majority that what you've said above is the over arching sentiment. Despite discussing hypotheticals, we are mostly overjoyed by where we are as a club at the moment, excited about what is to come and enjoy cheering on the great personalities we have in the dugout and on the pitch.

When a team of reserves knocks two CL favourites out of a cup competiton then it has to have an effect on CL positions. This result will have a massive knock on effect for both us and our rivals.

Aston Villa (h) 5-1 v 4-0 

City (a) 1-0 v 2-0

Liverpool (h) 1-2 v 0-2

Brighton (a) 3-1 v 0-0

Brentford home (h) 1-0 v 5-1

Sheffield United (Leeds) (a) 0-8 v 2-2

Burnley (Leicester) (h) 2-0 v 0-0

West Ham (a) 2-2 v 1-5

Palace (h) 4-0 v 0-0

Wolves (a) 2-2 v 1-1

Arsenal (h) 1-0 v 0-2

+6 points, +10 GD.

With our cup draws, injuries, inexperience at the highest level and just general not-quite-yet-champions-league-ready squad depth I can't imagine we're gonna have a much tougher season than this going forward. I'd be shocked if we get top four. But we'll get a ton of experience and battle-hardening dealing with big games so hopefully it'll be great for the players, and the coaching staff going forward.