The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

7 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

Those percentages will drastically change if Spurs come away from St James’ with 3 points 

Those percentages will also change if we lose all our games and they win all theirs. [emoji38]

12 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Those percentages make such little sense

I don't trust these % chance things that Sky keep using. They seem to change dramatically even after a team wins a game you expect them to win.

I'd say if Liverpool or Villa finish ahead of us, then we've probably fallen well short of 4th. If we just average a point a game for the rest of the season, Liverpool and Villa have to win all but 1/2 games to catch us.

3 hours ago, ilikenewcastle said:

I don't trust these % chance things that Sky keep using. They seem to change dramatically even after a team wins a game you expect them to win.

I'd say if Liverpool or Villa finish ahead of us, then we've probably fallen well short of 4th. If we just average a point a game for the rest of the season, Liverpool and Villa have to win all but 1/2 games to catch us.

Even if you are a heavy favourite of say 67% or 1/2, you'll not win that game 33 times out of 100. When the points are in the bag you'll get pretty much an additional point compared to the projected. Also stay in good form which is a factor on future projections.

Edited by Pata

3 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

Villa have got a great chance of getting right amongst the battle. I mean if they can beat Brentford before we play Spurs then they heap even more pressure on both of us

:lol:

8 hours ago, Displayname said:

Spurs could play Southampton at home in all their remaining games and i still wouldnt be that scared of them.

Yep. Revisiting Villa quickly, the way l see it, if we can discount them then we can pretty much discount everyone.

Doing that table above, and giving Manchester United 100% for the sake of argument, I gave us 71%... The major difference from the table above being I gave Villa 7%. If this end of season was played out 15 times, do I think it would happen about once between now and 2038? Yes. 

30 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Spurs at home is an easy fixture for them. 

I know they battered us yesterday, but Villa still aren't all that. Got momentum though, which is always handy.

As I say they're 25/1 if anyone genuinely fancies them. They need to overhaul us, Spurs and Brighton.

Not that it matters a huge deal, but the bookies think Brighton are our biggest threat.

All these % chance predictors the media break out just seem like a desperate attempt at shoehorning even more stats in when they just feel utterly pointless. Just feels pointless when you're tracking a predictor that swings wildly on a weekly basis. Might as well just look at the table and make your own mind up at that point. 

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I know they battered us yesterday, but Villa still aren't all that. Got momentum though, which is always handy.

As I say they're 25/1 if anyone genuinely fancies them. They need to overhaul us, Spurs and Brighton.

Not that it matters a huge deal, but the bookies think Brighton are our biggest threat.

I've said this before but bookies have a pretty good idea what's going to happen in a small market like top 4 which isn't pulling that much money in. If I need to get an idea how likely something is I always check the bookies as it's their job to get that right to not lose money.

5 hours ago, wormy said:

All these % chance predictors the media break out just seem like a desperate attempt at shoehorning even more stats in when they just feel utterly pointless. Just feels pointless when you're tracking a predictor that swings wildly on a weekly basis. Might as well just look at the table and make your own mind up at that point. 

They give probabilities to every match and then simulate the data thousands of times. Outliers obviously can happen and some teams can go on massive really unlikely runs. IMO they are far from useless and much more likely to get things right than you or me just looking at the table.

Edited by Pata

I can see Villa winning at Brentford next week, they are pretty much on the beach now but it would take a dramatic downturn from us for them to catch us, they still have to play Man United and Liverpool away  as well as playing Brighton and Spurs at home. They will be a big danger next season though.

2 hours ago, andyc35i said:

Villa have got a great chance of getting right amongst the battle. I mean if they can beat Brentford before we play Spurs then they heap even more pressure on both of us

Only if Spurs beat us. 

If we beat spurs and get good results in the next 2 - there’s no battle.