The Europeometer™ (2024/25)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

626 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Only 8 losses in the last 50 league games. I don't imagine there'll be many rolling 50 game periods in our history with much better than that. We lost 8 in the 95/6 season alone.

4 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

When is it decided if top 5 gets champions league ?

End of the season. Purely based on how each country’s teams do in Europe this season.

So potentially the league season could have ended and you wouldn’t know until the European finals have taken place (although probably unlikely that it comes down to that).

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Only 8 losses in the last 50 league games. I don't imagine there'll be many rolling 50 game periods in our history with much better than that. We lost 8 in the 95/6 season alone.

Even more impressive when you see the teams we have lost to since the start of last season.  Brighton in 7th are the lowest placed team to have beaten us in that time , you basically have to be one of the best teams in the league to beat us . We don't lose to mid table teams or relegation fodder .

Villa have some hard games coming up so we've a chance to get ahead of them by a few points. Think they're our main competition for top 5. I think Spurs, Liverpool, Arsenal and City will do it and one of us or Villa. 

image.png.7a7fdd652770fff2632953843054830e.png

Spurs still have a lot of tough games to play and are still riding a bit of a wave imo. They've had a great start to the season and I like Ange but they'll regress a bit and start to fall down the league a little in the next few months. Just a hunch

1 minute ago, midds said:

image.png.7a7fdd652770fff2632953843054830e.png

Spurs still have a lot of tough games to play and are still riding a bit of a wave imo. They've had a great start to the season and I like Ange but they'll regress a bit and start to fall down the league a little in the next few months. Just a hunch

Do you think Spurs success currently might be because Ange hasn't been figured out yet? I agree that they will drop down a bit.

Also going to throw this out there. I think we finish third. City 1st, Liverpool 2nd.

Well...by my wreckoning we still have 81 points to play for..

Half of this should se us get Europe of some description pretty comfortably. Three quarters should see us in the champions league, and another 75 should see us pushing City for the title.

On the pessimistic site...we only need a few more wins to not be relegated ?

Just now, gjohnson said:

Well...by my wreckoning we still have 81 points to play for..

Half of this should se us get Europe of some description pretty comfortably. Three quarters should see us in the champions league, and another 75 should see us pushing City for the title.

On the pessimistic site...we only need a few more wins to not be relegated ?

Probably already there in regards to relegation, the bottom 4 are fucking shit. Well actually I think Luton are the best placed team to survive.

I can honestly see Sheffield United not winning another game this season.

3 minutes ago, BonesJones said:

Do you think Spurs success currently might be because Ange hasn't been figured out yet? I agree that they will drop down a bit.

Also going to throw this out there. I think we finish third. City 1st, Liverpool 2nd.

Possibly, aye? He's new to the PL and they're still being figured out and researched by the rest of the league so that's go to come into things a bit I suppose. They were the beneficiaries of the Liverpool var thing and got 2 injury time goals against Sheff U too. Fair enough they won both but both were quite unusual and rare types of games, games that don't happen very often but they got the points and atm they're 2nd. Just think it'll even itself out a bit and they'll slip back into the pack soon enough. They've also played 5 or the bottom 6 too. Won them all to their credit but their points total just seems a bit inflated and false maybe? 

Meh, we'll see in May

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2024

Assuming that's correct, we're on for getting the 5th slot so far. 

I don't really understand this, but doesn't that currently have Italy and Germany in the lead? Assuming Turkey and Belgium don't make the cut... I think the rankings are based only on this season's performances, with nothing previously taken into account.

4 minutes ago, 80 said:

I don't really understand this, but doesn't that currently have Italy and Germany in the lead? Assuming Turkey and Belgium don't make the cut... I think the rankings are based only on this season's performances, with nothing previously taken into account.

That's right, it is only this season so as things stand we won't get it

However as the season goes on we likely will move up the ranking

Aye that looks like the last few years, didn't see the last column to sort by this season. 

Can't really see past a Spain and England 1&2 again though. 

Screenshot_20231105-200203.png

Highest 5th place ever in the 38 game season was 75 points. So if we can average 2 points a game which we are currently just under then we could get top 4.

I think it will be close and our cup runs will be the biggest factor for where we finish in the league.

Looking at the teams below us, i cant see any of them gaining more points than us and therefore overtaking us, meaning 6th is the lowest we'll finish.  It's just a case of can we catch any of the teams currently above us in the table.  I think we can catch Villa and possibly Spurs (who are about to enter a period of tricky games).

Get a good run going  and a couple of bodies in the January window, then there's no reason why we cant get 4th again IMO.  Just cant afford anymore injuries! 

Personally i think it's a bit too early to say that we cant catch the above or that we can't be caught by teams below us. It can change very very quickly either way as we have seen now already, and in the past. Perhaps unlikely/likely is a better choice of words than can/can't. So much can still happen over a season. 5-10 points advantage or disadvantage can change in only a few weeks. Should just focus on ourselves and game by game like Eddie always says. Having said that, i am watching how teams around us do too and hope our "rivals" drop points. So much still to go. Momentum, injuries, signings, suspensions and bad luck and so on.

All rides on suspensions, injuries etc. 

No Bruno next week, we didn't win a league game without him last year did we? 

We have been unlucky with injuries but most of them are mid to long term so it's not gonna turn around quickly, then you are just hoping we don't pick up anymore. But we are currently picking up a fresh injury each game at the moment. 

Likewise if we get bit more luck with injuries and Isak, Botman come back in and then Barnes, maybe a few signings in January, possibly out of europe and then suddenly we could go on a mad winning run like we did last year in the league. 

I think we are going to run out of steam a bit, because of all the injuries and our main signing basically missing the whole season.  But when you look at the results and performances, it has been pretty positive so far in regards to a top 4 finish. 

In the league, it is only really the Brighton game where we were miles off the pace and deserved to lose.  Open it up to the cups and you can include Milan, as well.  The capitulation against Liverpool still stings a bit, as we'd be right in amongst all the top 4-5 already.  Wolves and West Ham were not great in regards to being ahead and conceding late.  But we didn't deserve the win at Wolves and we were arguably lucky with goals in both of those games.  

Basically every game we have been in, we have either been miles clear of the opposition and deserved the win, or we've at least been competing and a draw has probably been the fair result overall.  Even City away where we created fuck all.  They never looked like blowing us away like they usually have over the years and like they do to so many  From memory, Foden was the difference maker on the night and we still had a chance of getting something at the end. 

I know most clubs will look at games with rose tinted specs on and will hark back to dropped points.  But going back through our results, I can't see many games where we were  massively fortunate to get a result or didn't deserve something from the game. 

We always seem to compete under Howe and that's all you can ask for at this stage, really.