The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

It will have been mentioned so apologies if going over old ground but is there any difference for us finishing 3rd rather than 4th?

Better seeding or less qualifying or anything?

Just now, joeyt said:

It will have been mentioned so apologies if going over old ground but is there any difference for us finishing 3rd rather than 4th?

No I think that comes down to UEFA coefficient rating and given our recent lack of European involvement we’ll be in pot 4

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Both spots go into the group stages, we'll be seeded bottom just due to having not been in Europe for so long and our coefficient being so low, so the only real difference between the spots is about £2.5m in prize money.

Edited by 54

6 minutes ago, 54 said:

Both spots go into the group stages, we'll be seeded bottom just due to having not been in Europe for so long and our coefficient being so low, so the only real difference between the spots is about £2.5m in prize money.

And the joy of finishing above Man Utd for the first time in our PL history.

6 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Shows how little I've been paying attention to CL qualifying in recent years, assumed we'd have to go through a Partizan Belgrade style qualifier :thup:

it changes next year 
image.thumb.png.68a70c21c3c6df30338eb4b6f0ba9948.png

I wonder how they’re going to work out the draw for the 8 matches in the 36 team league.

I’d assume top seeds face only the lower seeds so they are guaranteed a last 16 spot. I just don’t see that making the competition more enjoyable for anybody 

I guess it's another 'podium' finish as well, and, especially if we don't push on quite as much as expected, it will look nice looking back on things like Football Manager and viewing the past winners and seeing our name (at least in the mix) again after 20 years, because it doesn't happen often outside of the obvious 6, but these of course are all minuscule things, in reality there's not much difference between finishing 3rd to 4th, but 4th to 5th is absolutely huge. I'd probably even take a point tomorrow night if offered just to get it over the line, and then we could do want we want against Chelsea, even if that did sacrifice a 3rd place finish.

FM.thumb.png.9f1c0ef5d2bd90483fa46de4132a4f17.png

Edited by Paullow

8 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

I wonder how they’re going to work out the draw for the 8 matches in the 36 team league.

I’d assume top seeds face only the lower seeds so they are guaranteed a last 16 spot. I just don’t see that making the competition more enjoyable for anybody 

I read some where it'll be very similar to the current pots that they draw the groups from, but the rule that means clubs of the same country can't play each other will be scrapped.

FROM ESPN :-

How will they decide the fixtures?

UEFA is expected to create four pots of nine teams, almost certainly based upon the five-year club coefficient. Each team will play two teams from each pot (one home, one away) to create an eight-match fixture list of roughly equal strength.

More "big matches" are created by the teams in the top pots being drawn against each other, which wasn't possible under the current system.

For instance, the teams in Pot 1 would draw two other clubs from Pot 1, 2, 3 and 4. Teams from the same association still cannot play each other in the group stage.

This is how the seeding pots would look, based on a 36-team Champions League intake using the new system and last season's final league tables.

Pot 1: Chelsea, Villarreal, Atletico Madrid, Manchester City, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, Lille, Sporting CP, Real Madrid

Pot 2: Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain, Liverpool, Sevilla, Borussia Dortmund, FC Porto, Ajax

Pot 3: Shakhtar Donetsk, Lyon, RB Leipzig, FC Salzburg, Benfica, Atalanta, Zenit St Petersburg, Besiktas, Dynamo Kyiv

Pot 4: Dinamo Zagreb, Club Brugge, Young Boys, Leicester City, AC Milan, Real Sociedad, Malmo, VfL Wolfsburg, Sheriff Tiraspol

So, Premier League champions Manchester City could have a "Swiss Model" fixture list of: Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Benfica, FC Salzburg, Young Boys, Sheriff Tiraspol.

Edited by Kazzie
additional info

4 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

It’s about the money not the entertainment. 

Groups of four, top two go through, worst four runners up have a play-off - Euro 96 Qualifying style - would be infinitely better but alas would miss out on the filler content and cash, so that's a no go obviously.

Edited by Jonas

9 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

UEFA is expected to create four pots of nine teams, almost certainly based upon the five-year club coefficient. Each team will play two teams from each pot (one home, one away) to create an eight-match fixture list of roughly equal strength.

More "big matches" are created by the teams in the top pots being drawn against each other, which wasn't possible under the current system.

For instance, the teams in Pot 1 would draw two other clubs from Pot 1, 2, 3 and 4. Teams from the same association still cannot play each other in the group stage.

This is how the seeding pots would look, based on a 36-team Champions League intake using the new system and last season's final league tables.

Pot 1: Chelsea, Villarreal, Atletico Madrid, Manchester City, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, Lille, Sporting CP, Real Madrid

Pot 2: Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain, Liverpool, Sevilla, Borussia Dortmund, FC Porto, Ajax

Pot 3: Shakhtar Donetsk, Lyon, RB Leipzig, FC Salzburg, Benfica, Atalanta, Zenit St Petersburg, Besiktas, Dynamo Kyiv

Pot 4: Dinamo Zagreb, Club Brugge, Young Boys, Leicester City, AC Milan, Real Sociedad, Malmo, VfL Wolfsburg, Sheriff Tiraspol

So, Premier League champions Manchester City could have a "Swiss Model" fixture list of: Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Benfica, FC Salzburg, Young Boys, Sheriff Tiraspol.

That’s such a dumb format.

The only positive is you get to play 8 teams you wouldn’t normally play instead of 3. But qualifying for the CL just to play Arsenal and losing the home/away aspect is far less enjoyable.  

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Pot 1: Chelsea, Villarreal, Atletico Madrid, Manchester City, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, Lille, Sporting CP, Real Madrid

Pot 2: Barcelona, Juventus, Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain, Liverpool, Sevilla, Borussia Dortmund, FC Porto, Ajax

Pot 3: Shakhtar Donetsk, Lyon, RB Leipzig, FC Salzburg, Benfica, Atalanta, Zenit St Petersburg, Besiktas, Dynamo Kyiv

Pot 4: Dinamo Zagreb, Club Brugge, Young Boys, Leicester City, AC Milan, Real Sociedad, Malmo, VfL Wolfsburg, Sheriff Tiraspol

So, Premier League champions Manchester City could have a "Swiss Model" fixture list of: Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Benfica, FC Salzburg, Young Boys, Sheriff Tiraspol.

That’s actually more equitable than I assumed it would be. And not playing same country is a plus.

It’s just adding extra games to the season for no reason whatsoever. And if you finish in the playoff positions, that gives you an extra two matches just to make the last 16. That’s what, 17 games to win the competition if you finish 9th in the league - crazy 

That format actually seems more like UEFA caving to broadcasters, not the Super League concept. I assumed Pot 1 clubs would have a competitive advantage. But this is more about creating marquee games and extra knockouts, which UEFA will use to increase rights deals. The rich are going to get richer.

3 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

That format actually seems more like UEFA caving to broadcasters, not the Super League concept. I assumed Pot 1 clubs would have a competitive advantage. But this is more about creating marquee games and extra knockouts, which UEFA will use to increase rights deals. The rich are going to get richer.

So you are saying we'll be even richer?

17 hours ago, Decky said:

It isn't just RAWK. I live in Ireland where every other person is a Liverpool fan and trust me they're a lot worse in person. 

Worse for you because you're close mates with the most idiotic Liverpool fan in the world. :lol:

If we can beat Spurs, I reckon we'll do it

If we go to Everton and win, I reckon we'll do it

Southampton at home could be a banana skin

If we beat Brighton, we'll do it

If Liverpool drop points, we'll finish top four

Seeing as I keep moving the goalposts in my head, tonight could finally be the night I say "Yes, we're going to do it". Still bricking it [emoji38]