The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

I rather leave it in hands of Man City to help us secure a place in Europe than for us to face Man U in Cup Final. Less pressure and hope Pep wants to win another trophy to add to his collection

Posted (edited)

If you could pick any team for a favour, we have a pretty good one, and it is a major cup, not like a Charity Shield, plus it is their city rivals, so they'll obviously be up for it, plus no CL final to potentially distract them either.

The Conference League is a bit of a football hipsters paradise and many of the sides will be league champions, albeit a lot of minnows. It'll be class potentially going to capital cities like Bratislava, Helsinki, Dublin, Nicosia etc. and there are still a handful of decent sides in.

Out of our hands, but it will be a bit gutting if we miss out. Next Saturday really will feel like a Newcastle match.

Edited by Paullow

Well, we know where we finished. Here's the preseason prediction of what we would most likely need to finish 6th, and where (given relative difficulty of the games across the season) where we should expect to pick up the points.

image.thumb.png.d23034d24235b5a20223aedee7ffd460.png

Prediction was out by one. Chelsea managed 63 points. So the 62 wouldn't have been enough. For what it is worth, the 60 point we accrued for 7th is higher than the average for 7th (57.5 points).

Also, over the last three months we have achieved a total of 2.4 points more than usually 'required' for sixth. Whereas the 13 games between December and February killed us. We accrued 6.1pts less than required. 

I think on balance 7th is probably where we deserved to finish and frankly represents success given the fact that for a large part of the season weve had Dubravka, Krafth, Longstaff, Miley, Anderson and Murphy starting with no decent options off the bench. 6th would have been a miracle. Tonali back next season and keeping Bruno, Isak and Gordon would do me, with a few improvements focusing on expanding the squad and getting rid of deadwood. 

Looking forward and optimistic about next season. The players are well coached and for the most part, achieving in excess of their individual ability. UECL (assuming we get it) will be memorable and good experience on the journey to becoming CL regulars to practice playing multiple times per week, and should be a breeze compared to the likes of PSG and Dortmund. Hopefully some kinder domestic cup draws and injuries and fatigue won't be the same problem. Plus genuinely feel that we can try and compete to win and trophy next season and hopefully at least quality for the Europa.

God I hope we do get into Conference League. Real genuine chance of winning that competition, with some fun away days along the way.

Just what you want as a fan, will be so gutted if Man Utd win next week.

On 28/04/2024 at 09:22, Chris_R said:

I think Chelsea could win all their remaining fixtures, I actually think they're favourite for 6th.

Man U's games are tricky, they could drop a lot. We should get at least 6 points from our home games, but as we all know if we're playing away we could lose against Whitley Bay girls U12's.

Be happy with 7th, be over the moon if we can somehow snatch 6th.

On 28/04/2024 at 09:30, Keegans Export said:

Chelsea have won 5 PL games since 13th Jan, they'd do well to win five in a month.

On 28/04/2024 at 09:39, Chris_R said:

Looking at it like that, yes. But they look really good and have been unlucky in a lot of matches. Personally I think their league position is a bit false, but we'll see. I hope you're right because it's funny seeing them below us.

On 28/04/2024 at 09:58, M1tche said:

No chance Chelsea for 5 for 5, thier run in isn't any easier than ours and they're in worse form.

Follow me for more betting tips.

11 hours ago, OhSholaAmeobi said:

It still would have meant Thursday nights at a random european club or nothing, only real difference is the quality of teams especially when the CL clubs drop in. I'm quite happy for us to play ECL and blood Miley, Anderson, Murphy etc. a bit more whilst it's also a much more winnable trophy than EL.

I don’t think the CL clubs drop in any more.

I think had it been any other top 8 side, you'd maybe think they could get something next week since City have won their main one. Just the fact it's Man Utd will probably mean they'll be fully at it.

4 hours ago, leffe186 said:

I don’t think the CL clubs drop in any more.

I think some qualifying losers drop into it, same with Europa League and Conference League, but once the top 5 leagues enter their clubs, I think everything is sorted.

4 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Is the England co-efficient likely to be enough for us to be seeded for the Play-Offs? Sod's law we'd get Real Betis or something. :lol:

think we would be ok, villa and west ham were seeded and got hibs and viborg respectively, spurs were also seeded a few years back as you'd imagine given they're in europe loads more and got pacos ferreira 

14 hours ago, cosmic said:

I rather leave it in hands of Man City to help us secure a place in Europe than for us to face Man U in Cup Final. Less pressure and hope Pep wants to win another trophy to add to his collection

Aye i would fucking hate to be in the FA Cup final too, trophies are for mugs.....

Just now, Coffee_Johnny said:

That’s not the point @cosmic is making though. Just more likelihood of Man City winning than us. 

I know what he meant, just comes across dumb

28 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Can anyone explain how the projected pots will work/is this group or league format like the others are going to?

Dunno about the pots but yes it's one big league as opposed to groups. Six different opponents as opposed to eight - three at home, three away. 

We'll enter at the play-off stage, 22nd and 29th August. Draw on 5th August. First league stage game is 3rd October. 

4 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

I know what he meant, just comes across dumb

We're already out of the FA Cup. The only opportunity left to get into Europe is for the best team to do us a favour. 

5 minutes ago, cosmic said:

We're already out of the FA Cup. The only opportunity left to get into Europe is for the best team to do us a favour. 

I didnt know that cheers