The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

22 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Liverpool and Chelsea have better squads and are not in the CL. They along with Man U, Arsenal and City should be the top 5 if performing to their level.  

If any falter. We should be right there. But we’d also do well to stay ahead of Spurs, Villa and Brighton.  

Our back 5 basically had no injuries for the whole season.  I doubt we’ll be so lucky again on that front.  

I don't really disagree - Liverpool and Chelsea are the conundrums to me though.

Liverpool, yes, look to have bought very well, but my issue is that they have completely rebuilt their midfield and there's no telling how long it will take for them to gel. Another slow start and we could be ahead.

Chelsea are a different kettle of fish. So many talented players but an unbalanced squad the manager had little part in assembling. They are really short in some areas and overstocked in others. Whilst I rate Pochettino of course, he'll need to rapidly hone that squad and find a playing style - which means the players not acting like individuals and the owner keeping his nose out.

In other words, we can go at them both. But stepping back, yes it's almost incredible what we achieved last year, so it'll be a similar high wire trick to repeat that.

As Stottie said, unpopular as it may be with some, I'd de-prioritise the domestic cups this year for league position and to try and make a splash in the CL.

You're right about injuries, though. Hopefully that's something our recruitment can cover, as I doubt we're done yet.

The one thing that might work in our favour is I think we'll lose about 10 this season, but I also think we'll convert more draws into wins to level out a bit. Can see us getting 66-70 points but Liverpool and Chelsea will get comfortably over 70. 

Top 8 looks very strong. The rest of the league is shaping up to be the poorest it's been for a while though. 

We should hopefully convert some of those annoying draws into wins this year but will lose a few more too. No idea where that will have us end up. 

31 minutes ago, Irish Magpie said:

Whut?

Feel free to elaborate..

Pep aims to dominate possession based on positional play. 

dominating possession is not even our MO. 

Their midfields USP is technique and passing, ball control. They bought Kova to continue that style. Ours is running. We bought Tonali to continue our style. 

In build up Peps instructs his wingers to stay wide and provide width. We get our width from fullbacks and overlapping 8s. 

peps preferred wingers (Grealish, Bernardo, Mahrez) are not quick but excellent dribblers, that retain possession.  Ours are rapid but fairly poor dribblers. 

Until Haaland, City played the slowest football the PL has ever seen. We play at breakneck speeds. Until Haaland Pep would say his team lacks ‘verticality’. We are extremely vertical. 

Yeah we are opposite to City really. They can hold the ball so well and conserve so much energy in games. They mentally and physically tire out the opposition. You'll rarely even see Rodri get out of walking pace. Our CMs are charging around like mad all game. 

Signings will make a bigger difference for Newcastle as the squad was weaker to begin with E.g.

Shelvey then nobody > Tonali is a bigger shift than Man Utd signing Mount, Chelsea getting Caicedo etc

I reckon 5th, behind Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea. Caveat with that being reliant on a decent season for injuries. A few key players out for an extended period and it could be 8th

We will have a lot stronger squad this season with Gordon, Anderson and Miley taking a step up and 3-4 signings coming in. Only losing ASM who didnt get many minutes last season.

Unless we plan on going to the final I think we can handle the extra games from CL just fine.

Cant be unlucky with injuries in the defence though.

Might be imagining it but I’m sure last time we played CL we had an excellent record of winning the following PL games. Just a recollection that might not be grounded in reality. Point is, CL doesn’t automatically mean a PL drop off.

Checked, in the 2002/2003 season we were unbeaten in the immediate PL game after a CL fixture. That’s two rounds of groups plus a preliminary fixture - 14 CL games in total. We had two draws in the following PL game an won the rest of the fixtures.

As I see it:

City = Worse

Arsenal = Better

Man Utd = About the same

Liverpool = Better

Newcastle = Slightly Better

Chelsea = Better

Villa = Better

Brighton = Slightly worse 

Arsenal and Liverpool are going to be the real winners.

3 hours ago, Jaqen said:

Top 8 looks very strong. The rest of the league is shaping up to be the poorest it's been for a while though. 

We should hopefully convert some of those annoying draws into wins this year but will lose a few more too. No idea where that will have us end up. 

I suspect that by the end of the season and probably sooner the Premier League will have divided itself into a top half -- City, Liverpool, Man Utd., Arsenal, Chelsea, us, Spurs, Brighton, Villa and West Ham -- and a bottom half (everyone else) with a big gap between them

1 minute ago, GideonShandy said:

I suspect that by the end of the season and probably sooner the Premier League will have divided itself into a top half -- City, Liverpool, Man Utd., Arsenal, Chelsea, us, Spurs, Brighton, Villa and West Ham -- and a bottom half (everyone else) with a big gap between them

Not sure about West Ham mind 

30 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Same, I can see them in a relegation battle. They've not signed anyone and they need to replace Rice and sign a goalscorer.

Have some decent players but aye, losing Rice is huge. Moyes a dinosaur too. 

1 hour ago, STM said:

As I see it:

City = Worse

Arsenal = Better

Man Utd = About the same

Liverpool = Better

Newcastle = Slightly Better

Chelsea = Better

Villa = Better

Brighton = Slightly worse 

Arsenal and Liverpool are going to be the real winners.

As much as I hate to say it, Man Utd are definitely going to be better this season. Just replacing Dea Gea with Onana is going to give them a massive boost with how Ten Hag will be able to implement his style of play

I think Arsenal will have a big drop-off.  Man Utd and Liverpool will be the challengers to Man City, who'll end up winning it.  The other three usual suspects + Villa and us to make up the rest of the top 8.

I suspect we'll finish c.7th, though I think top 8 should be the target.  Lower than that would represent a modest failure, I think.  Top 8 plus a cup run would do nicely.