The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

2 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I don't think it could ever be considered too soon

If we finish top 4 then that would be immense but if we finish 4th or 6th that would be pretty class too and not quite the disaster some will suggest it is 

Don't we get Europa Conference for winning the League Cup anyway? 

I'd be more happy with that than finishing 3rd and getting CL football which we're wildly unprepared for. 

We're still creating chances, we just haven't been taking them post World Cup.

Leeds (h) - Longstaff thinking he was playing for Newcastle Falcons with the times he blasted his chances over the bar and Chris Wood being Chris Wood.

Sheff Wed (a) - Isak header, Anderson chance, Wood sitter

Leicester (h) - Should've scored well before Dan Burn's goal, Longstaff should score in the first minute.

Fulham (h) - Should've been at least 1 up at HT, Wilson missed a chance after an awesome turn in the box.

Palace (a) - Crosses and set pieces from us were poor throughout but Joelinton still fluffed a shot he had to connect better with and another Wilson free header missed.

Southampton (a) - Should've been the tie done and dusted then; Willock chances, Joelinton disallowed goal, Joelinton sitter, Isak hitting the side netting after rounding the keeper.

Southampton (h) - Got the early goals, unlucky not to be 3-1 up on the night before the red card given Longstaff's chance in the first half, his volley in the second half and Bruno hitting the outside of the post.

West Ham (h) - Wilson should've had at least a brace, whether that's the 1v1 he missed or the header later on. West Ham's only clear chance was their goal: the ball bouncing in the 6 yard box from a corner.

Arsenal we didn't create too much besides the Joelinton miss, but that was a fine result so not including that here. It's why I'm a lot less annoyed about the result today than I was coming out the ground last night. At times we have looked a tad labourious which is probably to do with the lack of rotation we can afford but we're still creating chances. Isak to come in at some point (I want him to start asap tbh, hoy him in on Saturday) and Bruno misses 2 more games before he's fully rested for the final and the games after.

We're going to end up battering someone before the next international break imo. Who that is, I don't know. But it's coming given the chances we're missing but still creating.

As the xG or Haydn's list says, we're still creating chances, and what is important, we are creating them in a difficult game state where the score is level and our opposition is defending. As a pacy team, we'll create more on the counter attack when leading in games and are opponents are forced to try and score themselves.

The West Ham game was disappointing, but no Bruno, no Isak, and a bit flat after the Carabao Cup semi explain that. Credit to West Ham too, who are not bottom half material.

If he's going to play, ASM needs to be integrated back in, because the link up play to and from him was poor. Several passes in his direction were easily cut out, so its not just his fault.

At this point, the biggest reason to finish 4th is to avoid the absolutely numpties in our fanbase that would turn into booboys if we don't. 

I agree that we'll drop out of the top four sooner rather than later, but I also understand that it wasn't really sustainable given our squad. Top 6 is still a fucking dream finish. 

Edited by Weezertron

15 hours ago, The Prophet said:

ASM was shit yesterday, but it was his first start since August.  He's far more likely to produce a match winning moment than a couple of others.

That’s fair. I just don’t see him getting much time, hard to make an impact when you’re not playing.

The likes of Isak, ASM, Targett, Gordon..hopefully getting a few more of our key players up to speed at the sort of time where other clubs around us will soon be playing 2 games a week might give us a second wind.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Huge Saturday coming up. Brighton and Spurs have awkward but winnable away 3pm kick-offs before we play Bournemouth. We could be 5th and have Brighton within 3 points at kick-off, or equally we could have a good chance of pushing further away.

Yeah we have to beat Bournemouth really if we are going to finish in the top four. 

For all the negativity regarding our obvious downturn in terms of attacking output it's worth taking stock of the fact that since the resumption we've played 10 games against PL opposition, won 6, drew 4 and lost 0.

The hope is that now we're back to 1 game a week, and others are going to go back to two, that we might begin to see things improve in our favour. I do think the Bournemouth game is massive.

Top 4 rivals ...
Liverpool beat Bournemouth 9-0 at home
Man United beat Bournemouth 3-0 at home
Chelsea beat Bournemouth 2-0 at home
Spurs beat Bournemouth 3-2 away
Newcastle drew with Bournemouth 1-1 at home

This weekend really is a must win for us !

8 hours ago, KingArthur said:

I think we are going to be 5th or 6th. Drawing too many games. Spurs are not great, but have a better squad. Liverpool and Chelsea are far away already.

Yeah I see 5/6 as most likely which is waaay ahead of what I thought we would achieve this season.

solid summer window and then look to solidify top 6 next season and I’m a happy camper.

Our club (how good is it to be able to say that again 😀) is headed in the right direction 

Though giving a shit again plays havoc on the nerves! Forgot what it was to care

What are we looking at needing points wise? Is it 70+ for the top 4, usually? 

Turn a few more of these draws into wins and I think that 65-70 points is achievable with 17 games left. Could even afford to lose a few more that way. 

I’m not comparing the managers or the teams in particular. Or that this would happen to Howe, of course. But I always remember when Hughes got sacked from City. He went on about how great their unbeaten runs were. But they drew too many games and they ended up lower top half, from memory.

Always stuck in my mind about unbeaten runs and not losing not always being the be all and end all. 

6 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

What are we looking at needing points wise? Is it 70+ for the top 4, usually? 

Turn a few more of these draws into wins and I think that 65-70 points is achievable with 17 games left. Could even afford to lose a few more that way. 

I’m not comparing the managers or the teams in particular. Or that this would happen to Howe, of course. But I always remember when Hughes got sacked from City. He went on about how great their unbeaten runs were. But they drew too many games and they ended up lower top half, from memory.

Always stuck in my mind about unbeaten runs and not losing not always being the be all and end all. 

6IIQO53MABBQZLWKOOL5UCHTXQ.png