Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Newcastle United (07/01/2023)

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Sick of hearing about this tbf. Seems like the only people still bringing it up are Sheff Wed fans weirdly though. Not looking for a bite or owt from the lads who’ve joined either. 

Wouldn’t need too if the stupid tweet wasn’t made. Always thought your fans were ok, in fact a pal ex owl went too an away match at yours and ended up supporting Newcastle 😂

but we get sick of our club being dragged through the mud. It’s been on sky sports, 5 live bbc so of course we’re going to be objective to false claims. 

11 hours ago, Owler said:

Pretty obvious this incident has been misreported and blown totally out of proportion.

Agenda ? Sticking up for my club who’s name is being dragged through the mud for no good reason. 
That’s pretty obvious . 

I wasn't there this time round, but I did go when we played you in the championship (and you won comfortably).

It's the only time I've ever felt unsafe on a football concourse, was getting uncomfortably squashed to the point where I struggled to catch my breath  while queueing for a pint. Never experienced anything like it anywhere, at 50+ other grounds, in much bigger crowds.

I'd suggest there's definitely an issue with concourse dimensions and the flow of fans through the turnstiles into the ground. The stewards were also incredibly flippant and SYP were their usual antagonist self (and indeed got a few vans of Northumbria police to come down to support their operation, despite already having a huge and OTT police presence in and around the ground).

I'd not be surprised at all if things were worse last week with a larger allocation.

Find it absolutely mental that Sheff Wed fans are getting angry about reporting potential H&S issues like. Shows the very worst of football fan mentality.

16 minutes ago, chainbridge said:

Daft outdated ground that isn't fit for purpose.

11 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

I wasn't there this time round, but I did go when we played you in the championship (and you won comfortably).

It's the only time I've ever felt unsafe on a football concourse, was getting uncomfortably squashed to the point where I struggled to catch my breath  while queueing for a pint. Never experienced anything like it anywhere, at 50+ other grounds, in much bigger crowds.

I'd suggest there's definitely an issue with concourse dimensions and the flow of fans through the turnstiles into the ground. The stewards were also incredibly flippant and SYP were their usual antagonist self (and indeed got a few vans of Northumbria police to come down to support their operation, despite already having a huge and OTT police presence in and around the ground).

I'd not be surprised at all if things were worse last week with a larger allocation.

Find it absolutely mental that Sheff Wed fans are getting angry about reporting potential H&S issues like. Shows the very worst of football fan mentality.

You mention football fan mentality, is your opinion the same when it comes to fans mentality with regards to being out drinking all day then 1 minute before kick off trying to get into the ground all at once,  not going too there allocated seats and just try stand behind the goal blocking the entrance?

Our fans are the same. 

Edited by Wawaw

2 minutes ago, Wawaw said:

The problem with your argument about "turning up at the last minute" is that:

1. It doesn't matter when fans turn up, clubs have a corporate responsibility to ensure the welfare of supporters. If I don't want to stand on a concourse for an hour before the game drinking cold, flat lager, then that's totally ok, and doesn't somehow shift that responsibility from the club to me. (And realistically most fans at away games get there at least a good 30 mins prior to KO).

2. This issue hasn't occured at any other ground (with the exception of Leeds, who had 2 working turnstiles for an entire away end, one of which kept malfunctioning).

It doesn't matter how many stewards worked the game. Calibre, training and knowledge is far more important than quantity. 

Newcastle fans were not consulted about turnstiles opening early yet they were impacted anyway. It wasn't advertised anywhere.

Timing of fan arrivals is habitual and should be planned for accordingly. If a stand can't operate to accommodate normal habits of fans then it's in need of a redesign.

And that's no slight on SWFC.

40 minutes ago, Wawaw said:

Wouldn’t need too if the stupid tweet wasn’t made. Always thought your fans were ok, in fact a pal ex owl went too an away match at yours and ended up supporting Newcastle 😂

but we get sick of our club being dragged through the mud. It’s been on sky sports, 5 live bbc so of course we’re going to be objective to false claims. 

Why are you so upset over it? Genuine question. There are daft articles all the time, snippets of the wet chinned bellends on TalkSport making fucking ridiculous comments and claims all of the time. It is part and parcel of football, having to read and listen to what you perceive as bullshit.

I wasn’t there so can’t comment, even if I was I’d have been more annoyed about the sitters we pissed away than what has been said. Give me a Hillsborough over somewhere like the Emirates or Reebok Stadium any day. 

10 minutes ago, TheDimpleboy said:

The problem with your argument about "turning up at the last minute" is that:

1. It doesn't matter when fans turn up, clubs have a corporate responsibility to ensure the welfare of supporters. If I don't want to stand on a concourse for an hour before the game drinking cold, flat lager, then that's totally ok, and doesn't somehow shift that responsibility from the club to me. (And realistically most fans at away games get there at least a good 30 mins prior to KO).

2. This issue hasn't occured at any other ground (with the exception of Leeds, who had 2 working turnstiles for an entire away end, one of which kept malfunctioning).

“It doesn't matter when fans turn up, clubs have a corporate responsibility to ensure the welfare of supporters.”

agree, and the club went above and beyond, look at previous my first post that outlined this.

“This issue hasn't occured at any other ground” 

I don’t believe that, it happened to us at the stain playing piggy’s. Nothing was made of it though.

anyway I’m off. good luck for rest of the season.

20 minutes ago, Wawaw said:

“It doesn't matter when fans turn up, clubs have a corporate responsibility to ensure the welfare of supporters.”

agree, and the club went above and beyond, look at previous my first post that outlined this.

“This issue hasn't occured at any other ground” 

I don’t believe that, it happened to us at the stain playing piggy’s. Nothing was made of it though.

anyway I’m off. good luck for rest of the season.

I'd suggest that's a damning indictment of policing/football governance and coordination in the South Yorkshire area tbh mate. And again, that's not a slight on your supporters or club. Rather on a police force that has shown time and again it is utterly incapable of managing football crowds. 

Edited by TheDimpleboy

11 hours ago, Wawaw said:

1 cage ? When was this?

They called them pens. You basically got herded into a pen and once that was  heaving they’d open another. They’d leave half the Leppings Lane empty if they could cram you in the other half.

13 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

They called them pens. You basically got herded into a pen and once that was  heaving they’d open another. They’d leave half the Leppings Lane empty if they could cram you in the other half.

Used to regularly happen at Old Trafford as well 

Obviously some of our fans have stated it isn't a load of rubbish whether you like that or not. Unless you were actually in the away end, then I don't think you're in a position to comment

Newcastle fans commenting on 1989 semi, does your logic on not in a position to comment on that apply?

Edited by Wawaw

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

You can comment on anything you want, the point is the people who were there have said there was crushing.

Not sure why they would lie? [emoji38]

I heard our fans were getting in without tickets and pissing on the dead.

The 1989 semi final that for years many who weren't there wrongly blamed on Liverpool fans until the full facts were known? Yeah I'd say et tu's point very much applies there.

No idea what your goal is here, you seem desperate to write off the experiences of our supporters who were there, without yourself knowing the facts. Until we do, unless you were there you know fuck all for certain.

Edited by Kid Icarus

It's not like we've gone down with a plot to do a number on Sheffield Wednesday's stadium, over some hard feelings towards Guy Whittingham from a quarter of a century ago or something.

2 hours ago, Wawaw said:

Obviously some of our fans have stated it isn't a load of rubbish whether you like that or not. Unless you were actually in the away end, then I don't think you're in a position to comment

Newcastle fans commenting on 1989 semi, does your logic on not in a position to comment on that apply?

I'll stick to the game two weeks ago thanks. 

1 hour ago, UncleBingo said:

I still can't belive they haven't done anything to it since the disaster.

Has always struck me as incredibly odd and macabre it wasn’t totally flattened and rebuilt during the early Taylor Report upgrades for grounds.