Sheffield Wednesday 2-1 Newcastle United (07/01/2023)

Yorkie

52 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Might have counted this wrong but only 11 PL teams will be in the 4th Round. Frustrating 

It'll be a maximum of 12. 5 all PL ties in R3, as well as Newcastle, Bournemouth and Forest crashing out to lower league sides. Could be one or two more going out over the next couple of days. Leeds possibly the most vulnerable. 

This match underlined the complete dross we have on the bench. 
Dubs, Manquillo, Lewis, Rithie, Murphy…:icon_puke_r:List is obviously longer. But thats 5 that needs to move on. Problem is there’s no one willing to take them. 

Edited by maze

1 minute ago, maze said:

Dubs, Manquillo, Lewis, Rithie, Murphy…:icon_puke_r:List is obviously longer. But thats 5 that needs to move on. Problem is there’s no one willing to take them. 

Dubs and Manquillo are clearly not "complete dross" 🙄 

2 minutes ago, maze said:

The amount of hatred for Dubravka now, because he dared to go on loan to Man Utd is a joke.

He kept us in the PL numerous times ffs and didn't really put a foot wrong last night, he's still a quality keeper. :lol:

6 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Dubs and Manquillo are clearly not "complete dross" 🙄 

Let’s agree to disagree on the latter. Hope Krafth is back soon enough. 

5 minutes ago, Aiston said:

The amount of hatred for Dubravka now, because he dared to go on loan to Man Utd is a joke.

He kept us in the PL numerous times ffs and didn't really put a foot wrong last night, he's still a quality keeper. :lol:

please explain where I wrote «I hate him because he went to Manure»?

He WAS a very good keeper. But he has declined and can’t compare to Pope. 

8 minutes ago, maze said:

Let’s agree to disagree on the latter. Hope Krafth is back soon enough. 

please explain where I wrote «I hate him because he went to Manure»?

He WAS a very good keeper. But he has declined and can’t compare to Pope. 

Agree on this unfortunately as I’d love to be wrong but yesterday of starting manquillo, lascelles and dubs and conceding 2 goals was very retro of how we used to play week in week out.

We know most of our squad players are awful, even some of our first team are a bit dodgy.

You could easily argue that Sheffield had two strikers yesterday that are both better than Chris Wood. 

They way I see it is that out past cup ‘humiliations’ happened to a different club entirely. Those happened to a neglected club who didn’t care about winning anything. This one happened to a club on the up who just had their limited resources stretched too far by the amount of games we’re playing. 

Soon enough people like Lascelles, Murphy, Wood, Lewis and Anderson will be a distant memory. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We know most of our squad players are awful, even some of our first team are a bit dodgy.

You could easily argue that Sheffield had two strikers yesterday that are both better than Chris Wood. 

They way I see it is that out past cup ‘humiliations’ happened to a different club entirely. Those happened to a neglected club who didn’t care about winning anything. This one happened to a club on the up who just had their limited resources stretched too far by the amount of games we’re playing. 

Soon enough people like Lascelles, Murphy, Wood, Lewis and Anderson will be a distant memory. 

The day this happens just remind me of it on the inside of a birthday card.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Anderson was one of the biggest disappointments of the night, like. I've seen him start twice this season now and he was really, really poor both times. It's a desperate shame that we can't afford to ship him out somewhere on loan because, while there are obvious benefits to keeping him around, it's clear as day that he needs game time. 

Lascelles was a bit of a joke tbh. I do believe other players in interviews when they say he still has a big (and positive) influence at the club, but he is certainly no longer fit for purpose on the pitch. Absolutely dismal performance and seemingly an unrectifiable casualty of the Bruce era. Huge shame because he was knocking on the England door around 2018. 

I really don’t want to lump Anderson in that category. He has played well this season at times and looked unbelievable in pre season. Yesterday he was poor, but Eddie believes in him, so I don’t think, we should just write him off.

Zero point him being here for 5-10 min cameos. Give him an extensive run in a Birmingham, QPR, Boro or Luton side just on the cusp of the playoffs and see how he gets on. If the club is successful he could even do a season long PL loan.

Lot of hyperbolic reaction here. 
We were a tad unlucky on the night. One of their goals was offside, we had at least 2 point blank shots that were too close to the keeper. It happens. 
We had some very good passages of play and some that were below the standard we’ve set for ourselves. 
Losses like these can be meaningful if used as a motivator in the right way.

Well done Sheffield Wednesday and good luck with the rest of their season.

Don't think you played particularly terribly, certainly not one where I think you can say the attitude was particularly por. It just demonstrates, as everyone presumably knew already, your second string are not good enough, as is the case with most second strings.

Another day you go through 3-1 easily. Just one of those things, I wouldn't put it down as a shocker or anything.

Was pretty fuming with the result yesterday, but you have to give Sheffield Wednesday credit. They worked their asses off, and they hustled all our players very well to put them off. The biggest let down for me was seeing Chris Wood again being absolutely useless. Windass made him look like a non-league player. I'd expect Garang Kuol to get that on target or even score.

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

Don't think you played particularly terribly, certainly not one where I think you can say the attitude was particularly por. It just demonstrates, as everyone presumably knew already, your second string are not good enough, as is the case with most second strings.

Another day you go through 3-1 easily. Just one of those things, I wouldn't put it down as a shocker or anything.

Neil man, is nobody allowed to completely overreact anymore? [emoji38]

We physically (metaphysically and metaphorically) couldn't play our best XI and give both games our best shot.

That theoretically means ASM, Wilson and Isak play yesterday which would mean there's no way any of them play the full game against Leicester.

Might be too simplistic but I just cant see past it.

The greatest manager of all time started the rotation thing off.

The team Howe picked should have been more than adequate enough to avoid defeat as a minimum last night. Howe's got every right to expect some of the fringe PL players to come in and perform to a level that at least matches L1 opposition. The fact is that a few of these players were utterly dreadful and they let Howe and the club down, the selection was fine, the performance was not and I'm shifting all of the blame for last night onto the 3 or 4 who stunk Hillsborough out.

16 minutes ago, hakka said:

Was pretty fuming with the result yesterday, but you have to give Sheffield Wednesday credit. They worked their asses off, and they hustled all our players very well to put them off. The biggest let down for me was seeing Chris Wood again being absolutely useless. Windass made him look like a non-league player. I'd expect Garang Kuol to get that on target or even score.

Not that I'm excusing going out to a L1 side, but you have to factor in the unquantifiable element of the underdogs always raising their levels in these situations. It happens so often, so to all intents and purposes it felt like you were more playing a high flying Champ side.

I mean some of your lot were still fucking dreadful like. [emoji38] but just helps to expediate their exits, you'd hope.

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

Not that I'm excusing going out to a L1 side, but you have to factor in the unquantifiable element of the underdogs always raising their levels in these situations. It happens so often, so to all intents and purposes it felt like you were more playing a high flying Champ side.

I mean some of your lot were still fucking dreadful like. [emoji38] but just helps to expediate their exits, you'd hope.

Aye - Sheff Weds raised to the occasion and used physical side very well I thought. Hounded us and knocked us off our stride. I was just shocked that we played in to it. Bit like a elite level technical boxer being brought down to slug fest and unnecessarily exposing their chin.