Anthony Gordon

Jack27

No way. Gordon should be eased in over time and has to earn it - for me our first choice RW is Murphy until Miggy or Gordon displace him for rest of season. 

Left wing is Maxi or Joelinton. I think Isak only there in the second half if we bring Wilson on. 

3 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Not being Murphy or Miggy:lol:

Fair. 

They’ve actually contributed meaningfully.  So for that alone I would start one of them. And bring Gordon on against tired legs. 

I like that ASM, Gordon double sub tbh. Had we not conceded so quickly, those 3 with Isak would’ve got another goal. 

I’d start Murphy ahead of Almiron on the right and ASM ahead of Gordon on the left. I really wish we hadn’t setup with Isak and Wilson from the start in the last two games as I just don’t think it works by shifting Isak to the left. I want him up the pitch impacting the forward play and not having to track back 

I can't remember when, or what the scoreline was at the time, but Tripps had the ball towards our corner flag & Gordon was in acres of space down the right. If he'd ran forward a simple ball could have been played & he could have ran into a dangerous area with it. Instead he came backwards to receive the ball & then played it into a heavily congested midfield. 

Watching a winger take that option is unbelievably frustrating to watch. 

What bits I seen of him at Everton he looked extremely direct & used to charge round, aggressively, at 100mph closing down the opposition. 

I've yet to see anything like that since he came here. 

Glimpses of something in the odd appearance but yesterday was pitiful. 

Murphy has shown far more this season & would have been a much better option off the bench yesterday. 

Miggy was still shite last year and then all of a sudden in pre season, benfica away he was massively improved and he carried that into the season. 

let’s judge Gordon after a pre season, as others have already said. 

I don't think anyone is sitting typing away hoping that Gordon continues to be shit. Everyone wants him to develop a bit, settle in and start to produce for the team and the club, no-one wants him to fail and he'll get time to turn it around. 

But the fact is he's created nothing when he's had minutes since he signed. People re rightly saying that maybe that big chink of money we shelled out in January could have been spent on a different player who would (almost certainly) have chipped in with a few goals and/or assists. I think that's fair enough tbh - he has been poor and denying it seems daft. No-one wants him to fail here but on first viewings he looks a bit short in many areas. 

10 hours ago, Abacus said:

Yes, he may well become a mainstay in the side in the future.

But I think the frustration towards him is that in January he wasn't what we needed. Now, maybe that's because they weren't available or perhaps because I just don't know what he is. And then, of course, being thrown into certain games before he seems to know how to fit into the team makes him a bit of a lightning rod for criticism, even though neither of things are his fault.

Great argument, I see what y'all are saying. Fair enough, lets see what next year brings.

2 hours ago, midds said:

I don't think anyone is sitting typing away hoping that Gordon continues to be shit. Everyone wants him to develop a bit, settle in and start to produce for the team and the club, no-one wants him to fail and he'll get time to turn it around. 

But the fact is he's created nothing when he's had minutes since he signed. People re rightly saying that maybe that big chink of money we shelled out in January could have been spent on a different player who would (almost certainly) have chipped in with a few goals and/or assists. I think that's fair enough tbh - he has been poor and denying it seems daft. No-one wants him to fail here but on first viewings he looks a bit short in many areas. 

I’ll ask again. What has he actually done so wrong to be labelled poor?

8 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I’ll ask again. What has he actually done so wrong to be labelled poor?

I don't think he's done anything wrong as such, he's not done much of anything at all tbh. I've not watched every minute he's played but in all his appearances combined he's got no goals, no assists, 1 shot on target, 1 booking and 1 tantrum. He's just not performed or produced anything positive at all  

9 minutes ago, midds said:

I don't think he's done anything wrong as such, he's not done much of anything at all tbh. I've not watched every minute he's played but in all his appearances combined he's got no goals, no assists, 1 shot on target, 1 booking and 1 tantrum. He's just not performed or produced anything positive at all  

He did put Wilson through with a good ball and vision v West Ham which left him through on goal and his lack of pace allowed Aguerd to get back at him. 

I didn't see the match so can't comment overall.

But just on the offside ASM goal, I've seen it said repeatedly he held on to it too long before releasing Isak. Are you sure? He was in possession of the ball for literally less than a second. When I first read it on here I thought he'd been dawdling.

In that sub-second, he took two touches, the first to control a heavy, bobbling ball from Trippier, the second to flick it on with the outside of the same foot. And I believe if he'd knocked it on with his first touch the covering defender may well have been in position to intercept any through ball for Isak.

And, incidentally, the entire chance came from him pressing aggressively to cause Leeds to turn the ball over to Trippier in the first place.

Seems to me Isak could've timed his run better...

Edited by 80

8 minutes ago, madras said:

He did put Wilson through with a good ball and vision v West Ham which left him through on goal and his lack of pace allowed Aguerd to get back at him. 

Ok, fair enough, he created that chance that didn't get converted. 

2 minutes ago, midds said:

Ok, fair enough, he created that chance that didn't get converted. 

And yesterday if not for the professional foul ?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's had a great start and I only had him pegged as a squad player until the Summer anyway but I do think there's a good player in there.

Edited by madras

2 minutes ago, madras said:

And yesterday if not for the professional foul ?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's had a great start and I only had him pegged as a squad player until the Summer anyway but I do think there's a good player in there.

We'll never know about yesterday tbh, pointless discussion?

I genuinely hope there's a good player in there too but I've got my doubts on the evidence I've seen so far. I hope I'm wrong but there's nothing wrong with saying he's been deeply disappointing since he signed, I'm not even sure that's up for debate. 

54 minutes ago, midds said:

Debut - West Ham - His substitute cameo had all those dying to sell ASM frothing at the mouth.

Game 2 - Bournemouth - Came on late in first half (36) and helped combine in the build up for the equaliser a few minutes later.

Game 3 - Liverpool - Came on (64) 0-2 down and a man short and looked bright creating a couple of chances with one on a plate for Wilson.

Game 4 - Starts against Man City away and looked our most dangerous player and probably would’ve scored but unfortunately clipped the ball with standing foot as he was pulling the trigger for an almost certain goal. Came off (62) and 5mins later we went down to 2-0.

So far so good IMO then got injured and missed Wolves (H) Forest (A)

Game 5 - Man Utd. Comes on (65) and does ok. Stops a couple of counters tracking back and we go on to get a second goal.

Game 6 - West Ham (64) plays some nice interchanges and from 1-3 we go on to win 1-5.

Game 7 - Brentford (46) comes on for second half and helps turn the game with good movement and passing from 1-0 to 1-2 then subbed (95) and has tantrum.

Game 8 - Starts against Villa and hardly sees any of the ball and is subbed (56) after a poor game along with everyone else.

Game 9 - Comes on (70) against Spurs and sees game out at 6-1 already with nothing particularly demanded of him. Nearly scores from a great move but for a very good save.

Game 10 - Comes on (87) and plays pantomime baddie with game won at 1-4 playing some nice 1-2’s.

Game 11 - Starts against Southampton and looks the most likely to break the deadlock but is hooked at HT losing 0-1.

Game 12 - Comes on (78) 0-2 down to Arsenal and helps win a few late corners with the game already lost.

Game 13 - Comes on (73) 1-2 up and unfortunately delays pass slightly which is converted and then game swings 2-2 but still could’ve won it for us but is pulled down in on goal in the last minute.

Ive never said the lad has set the world alight but he’s hardly played and certainly hasn’t been given a proper run yet but if you examine him game by game he’s had moments in most of them despite quite a few being short cameos.

I personally didn’t want us to sign him as thought we could buy in that position possibly better for cheaper (check my posts) but now he’s here trust EH to work with him. I just hope he doesn’t remove what makes him tick and that is his agresssion and not playing too rigid in a front three and allowed to float across.

Maybe just needs that first goal. Let’s hope it comes this Thursday 🤞🏻

Edited by LFEE

36 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Timely wee compilation. 

I’m no Gordon hater but I’m surprised by the amount of quality he’s show there considering very limited minutes. He’ll come good. 

Think his trajectory has been pretty normal TBH, it wasn’t like I was expecting him to come in and tear the league up immediately. 

He was a solid signing who became available and we pounced. It might take him a while to find his feet. 

Haven’t been blown away so far but he clearly has a lot of attributes. 

I think focusing on how many goals and assists already is silly. He could’ve easily had 3-5 assists based on that video above.  

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

The speed he's able to move himself and the ball into space is great for opening up passing possibilities that cut the defence.

Game time will improve his confidence and I find it hard to not see him being an effective part of the team.

Just think, we love Eddie for a reason. Well Eddie loves Gordon for a reason, and as it stands I don't think anyone can question what Eddie's done with the players we already had, so chances are AG follows the same path.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think his trajectory has been pretty normal TBH, it wasn’t like I was expecting him to come in and tear the league up immediately. 

He was a solid signing who became available and we pounced. It might take him a while to find his feet. 

Haven’t been blown away so far but he clearly has a lot of attributes. 

I think focusing on how many goals and assists already is silly. He could’ve easily had 3-5 assists based on that video above.  

You expected 0 goals, 0 assists and behind Muphy, Almiron, Joe & Isak out wide?