Anthony Gordon: named NUFC Player of the Season (Official)

Jack27

Must have been very hard for him to go from such a low level place where standards have slipped dramatically to mixing it with a top level side that’s improving every day. I had noticed prior to yesterday that his stamina is really poor, but give him a strong pre -season and that can be corrected. Once he gets that right then we can see what he’s really about 

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

Is his stamina going to improve that much over the summer? What they going to do to improve that, Judy make him run 9 to 5? 

The stamina of our players improved massively last summer tbf, they couldn't run for 20 mins under Captain Kebab, confident he will improve massively.

6 minutes ago, nufc4eva said:

The stamina of our players improved massively last summer tbf, they couldn't run for 20 mins under Captain Kebab, confident he will improve massively.

Exactly this. Pre-season training specifically under Howe will increase his fitness, performance as well as understanding tactics further. This will be on top if being involved in the under 21 euros. He’ll be a totally different player for next season I reckon and more confident with all that too.

2 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

I've said for a while that I can't see his long term future as a winger. He hasn't the trickery. However, I don't really see him as a traditional playmaker either.

I suspect he will end up as a jack of all trades, someone who can slot in anywhere and play the team game. However, if Howe can get him to continue to make the type of run he did yesterday, then he will get goals and we've seen a few times that he can find a cute pass.

There's something there with Gordon, I just don't know what and how much or where he best fits in. Loads of questions for Howe to answer but I'd back Eddie to answer them all.

1 minute ago, STM said:

I've said for a while that I can't see his long term future as a winger. He hasn't the trickery. However, I don't really see him as a traditional playmaker either.

I suspect he will end up as a jack of all trades, someone who can slot in anywhere and play the team game. However, if Howe can get him to continue to make the type of run he did yesterday, then he will get goals and we've seen a few times that he can find a cute pass.

There's something there with Gordon, I just don't know what and how much or where he best fits in. Loads of questions for Howe to answer but I'd back Eddie to answer them all.

Agree with that. Eddie has said he’s been tracking him for some time. Anthony was buzzing after yesterday and very much looking forward to the summer to build and improve himself. Think he needs an arm round him and the crowd behind him type and he’ll excel. I look forward to watching him be integrated and shine in the team :indi:

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Delighted he got the goal. Still not convinced by him and agree with the above that he might end up like a flexible jack of all trades.

I don’t see that as a negative myself, every squad needs someone like that.

Thinking back, I personally think selling both Stevie Watson and Aaron Hughes who were both capable of doing a job in multiple positions, ultimately made our squad at the time weaker as a result. 

9 minutes ago, STM said:

Well said. In fairness we used to think the same about Joelinton.

I thought we overpaid for Gordon gambling on potential, but if we look at what Howe's done with Almiron and Murphy, I think Gordon has a higher potential ceiling than them. 

I thought he was better yesterday than most have given him credit for. He's had very limited time on the pitch and been mostly productive while on it. That pass he put on a plate for Miggy to balls up wide was brilliant and the kid is rapid, so I don't know why anyone on here doubts his ability on the wing. Once his fitness is up to the rest of the squad, he'll become more of a threat. I'm willing to bet he has better stats than Willock next year. 

7 hours ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Did Isak and Bruno not have the fitness issue at the start... I think that's why Eddie beds them in slowly 

Was thinking the other day when I heard people talking about Howe as future England manager, I don't think it would go well because of his high intensity fitness demands. You just can't get that out of players straight away and definitely can't get them to that level half way through a season when you only have them for a fortnight. 

A lot of people who haven't watched us or followed us closely don't understand that his fitness programme is a crucial part of why he is and has been so successful. 

Edited by Scotty66

If he ends up being able to play anywhere across the front 3, and we get Maddison who can also do this and add in Isak whose shown he can play comfortably centrally or out wide, that creates a very mobile attacking trio that defenders will need to keep track of which will cause teams all kinds of trouble.

It wouldn't shock me if Eddie moulds him into a poor man's Bernardo Silva. He won't ever have his level of technical quality, but his willingness to work off the ball, play as an 8 in central midfield, or a winger that times his runs well could be very handy for us.

4 hours ago, Viana said:

It wouldn't shock me if Eddie moulds him into a poor man's Bernardo Silva. He won't ever have his level of technical quality, but his willingness to work off the ball, play as an 8 in central midfield, or a winger that times his runs well could be very handy for us.

Further to this; after watching the blow comp, I'm convinced he's got Gordon in as a secondary option for when Willock is out. They don't overlap exactly, but a lot of the same general skills.