Anthony Gordon

Jack27

9 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Fine margins, like Miggy a few years ago and Willock. Could be absolutely HUGE players for us with a bit of luck, confidence and work on finishing. I remember all the talk of the training pitch was how amazing a finisher Joelinton was for the first year or so he came here. Sometimes you just need a bit of luck to get you going. That, or we are going to see Willock converted to a world class CB and Gordon a LB. Trust.In.The.Howe.

This is correct 👆

You can pinpoint the interview after the Chelsea game where he acknowledged his issues with getting up to speed as what seems like a turning point in his Newcastle career. Opinions definitely softened on him as a person at that point and to be fair to him he said he was going to come back ready to go and he has done that.

I can see him being someone that Howe accommodates in to the team if he’s on form, which could be down either wing or even in the middle.

Edited by Matt1892

He saw plenty of the ball today and didn't do a great deal with it for me, nothing memorable other than an excellent through ball that Almiron should have taken, but typically Miggy had to switch to his left and blew the chance, I'm still on the fence with Gordon, he does nothing that stands out for me?  Unsure why he has this growing fan club, that keep saying the same thing, but if anyone is going to get the best out of him, it's Eddie Howe, this is the season I'll judge Gordon.

I would have been prepared to write off both Miggy and Murphy before the start of last season, but both had their best seasons here yet, hopefully Gordon can produce.

2 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

He saw plenty of the ball today and didn't do a great deal with it for me, nothing memorable other than an excellent through ball that Almiron should have taken, but typically Miggy had to switch to his left and blew the chance, I'm still on the fence with Gordon, he does nothing that stands out for me?  Unsure why he has this growing fan club, that keep saying the same thing, but if anyone is going to get the best out of him, it's Eddie Howe, this is the season I'll judge Gordon.

I would have been prepared to write off both Miggy and Murphy before the start of last season, but both had their best seasons here yet, hopefully Gordon can produce.

He absolutely has to improve his finishing. It might just take one for him in the league this year to settle down. His one against Chelsea was at the end of the season in a weird game.

The good thing is we have Barnes in reserve and he won’t hesitate to take those chances.

Just now, Viana said:

He absolutely has to improve his finishing. It might just take one for him in the league this year to settle down. His one against Chelsea was at the end of the season in a weird game.

The good thing is we have Barnes in reserve and he won’t hesitate to take those chances.

Oh definitely, Gordon will score a few, look at Almiron, nobody ever would have thought he'd get that return.

But if we're talking about things that look eye-catching or creative, then even Isak looked a threat at left wing, he looked better in those final ten minutes out wide than he did all first half, I know nobody would want to see him out there, but he actually looks like he loves just running at players and going on mad dribbles. 

9 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

Oh definitely, Gordon will score a few, look at Almiron, nobody ever would have thought he'd get that return.

But if we're talking about things that look eye-catching or creative, then even Isak looked a threat at left wing, he looked better in those final ten minutes out wide than he did all first half, I know nobody would want to see him out there, but he actually looks like he loves just running at players and going on mad dribbles. 

IMG_0207.png.c2960c59f55f5b538b2fc9f42ea07214.png

He’s clearly In great physical shape but you do think that he’s going to need to put away an early chance if he gets one otherwise confidence could be an issue with his finishing. I think if he bags a chance fairly early in the season he’ll be fine.

10 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

Don't understand how you could watch that game and not see the problems he was causing and the threat he was.

But because on the day he didn't manage a goal, it's then a case of he didn't do a great deal.

There's either a bias there or you just don't see the game very well.

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

Don't understand how you could watch that game and not see the problems he was causing and the threat he was.

But because on the day he didn't manage a goal, it's then a case of he didn't do a great deal.

There's either a bias there or you just don't see the game very well.

Ahh, the great knowledgeable cocksure KaKa, sorry I'm definitely biased, and know fuck all after 40 years, thanks you little know it all [emoji38]

13 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

He's got a growing fanclub because of his appearance and pace.

He's Roy of the Rovers, give him a few years to grow into it.

71846tOE6SL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

img_6080.webp

Edited by Mountain

42 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Ahh, the great knowledgeable cocksure KaKa, sorry I'm definitely biased, and know fuck all after 40 years, thanks you little know it all [emoji38]

My comment was based purely on your assessment of how he played.

Based on other people's comments on how he played also, yours seem pretty off.

No need to be sensitive about it. Wasn't meant to be a dig. 

There was a 15 minute spell were I felt he was blowing out of his arse and doing what I call a "fake press". Where he was closing the opposition down slowly and not really putting them under pressure.

However, he'd been grafting his arse off up until that point, so perhaps he was genuinely tired.

I think he's doing fine. He does need that goal to settle him down. The one where he hit the post was well struck, so I can forgive him for that.

He does need to stop trying to skill his way past a man when one on one. It's just not his game. Give and go, then he's dangerous.

He's looked really lively, good movement, quick and picks up good spaces, it really is just the finishing that has let him down

If he can get one early in the season I think he then goes on to get 7+ however I can see it being an issue the longer he goes without (I'm aware he scored against Chelsea but last season soon gets forgotten about)

His biggest challenge is along with his finishing is making a certain spot his, is he for certain a LW or will he be RW, maybe an 8 in some games, whilst that versatility helps us as a team it can end up being a hindrance to his development

He took a harder chance than the one Trippier laid on for him yesterday when playing for the u21s, from a similar sharp low cross from wide and he buried it through bodies.  He’ll be fine, but Barnes may have grabbed the shirt for next week. Great to have a squad pushing each other