Anthony Gordon

Jack27

"The runt of the litter" as I described him, is now the big dog.

I fucking love him. I love the fact I hated him. I love that others hate him. I love that he's not a particularly handsome lad. I love that he's a rat. Can't believe I ever didn't adore this boy. :lol:

You can see why Eddie wanted him so bad. Amazing work rate and seems a lot more confident now. Him and Miggy on the flanks give us so much energy, pressing and tracking back. 

Edited by Scotty66

First goal has immediately gone into one of my all time favourite Newcastle goals. So many narratives:

Tonali first goal

The start of Gordon redemption arc

First goal of the season

Smashing Villa

First time cross and barnstorming volley 

Edited by Jesse Pinkman

17 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

First goal has immediately gone into one of my all time favourite Newcastle goals. So many narratives:

Tonali first goal

The start of Gordon redemption arc

First goal of the season

Smashing Villa

First time cross and barnstorming volley 

I agree but it’s quite funny that he needs a redemption arc after barely playing for the club :lol:

Didn’t want to to sign him. I was prepared to give him a chance because of his age. I’m pleased to say I was wrong. His pressing was one of the main reasons we won. If he can continue he’s gonna be a hell of a player. 

He’s got to be our starting left winger. 

Did everything well I hoped he would do. Terrific work rate on and off the ball. Good off of both feet. Had Cash on toast.  Was a danger. 

Faded a bit but was good. 

Personally I think his long term future is at RW. Barnes is a bigger goal threat at LW and Miggys place is more there for the taking.   

5 hours ago, St1pe said:

Didn’t want to to sign him. I was prepared to give him a chance because of his age. I’m pleased to say I was wrong. His pressing was one of the main reasons we won. If he can continue he’s gonna be a hell of a player. 

He’s got to be our starting left winger. 

Yep, Gordon and Isak have the (most hotly contested) shirts. 

5 hours ago, Bellars said:

And he hasn't even started shit housing yet

seems a completely different lad now that he's left the pressures of his hometown club and supporters behind him.

i know they were struggling, so that didnt help either.

eddie's got him playing with a smile on his face that only miggy can rival.

no snapping at opposing players, arguing with the ref, diving, or snide tackles.

just a canny young lad living his dream.

we really misjudged him from a personality point of view.

Had a poor end to last season but to be fair to him he has owned that and come back looking a different player. Gave an excellent all round performance yesterday and if that is his level under Howe rather than a flash in the pan then I take back all judgements.

8 hours ago, Mattoon said:

Had a poor end to last season but to be fair to him he has owned that and come back looking a different player. Gave an excellent all round performance yesterday and if that is his level under Howe rather than a flash in the pan then I take back all judgements.

I think he had a lot of baggage to get rid of and by the time that was done the season was over. 

Now he's had a summer of being super fit and Eddie Howe telling him what he wants on the pitch. Watch that first goal again to see what I mean. I think a few months ago he was hesitant, he was over thinking, and he just wasn't being instinctual. 

Fast forward to yesterday. He's alive to the rebound and recycles the ball. He's then straight on his bike running into space and wanting the ball. When he gets it he's throw in a first time cross rather than trying to beat a man or make it a better chance. It's all quick and decisive decision making. He could easily have had another assist minutes later but Tonali was denied. 

I read a book once called The Inner Game of Tennis. It talks about quietening the mind to let the body take control. That's what I see with Anthony Gordon right now. He won't be as decisive as this every week, and I'm sure he'll have obstacles to overcome, but whenever he's in that flow state he can be devastating. 

17 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Did everything well I hoped he would do. Terrific work rate on and off the ball. Good off of both feet. Had Cash on toast.  Was a danger. 

Faded a bit but was good. 

Personally I think his long term future is at RW. Barnes is a bigger goal threat at LW and Miggys place is more there for the taking.   

Barnes left, Gordon right could be lethal