Anthony Gordon

Jack27

54 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

How many does he need to do for you Lotus? He’s had two goals and two assists in the equivalent time of five full games. 

I agree with Lotus. He's had a brilliant start to the season. 5/6 games, 2 goals, 3 assists I think. That's excellent.

But it is 6 games. He needs to keep it up over the course of a season. It's a bit early to think he's made it. IMO he still looks like a player developing and learning - he's not even touched anywhere near his ceiling. It's extremely promising and he's our main guy atm.

59 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

It was cool to hear in his NUFCTV interview that he'd been working with Tindall on that shot - before, he said he'd have tried to hit top bins but they've been working on a more controlled effort.

Good to hear. You could tell before he was very raw and didn't really have his "moves". Now he's putting it together. That finish is a "move" and he's pulled it off already.

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I agree with Lotus. He's had a brilliant start to the season. 5/6 games, 2 goals, 3 assists I think. That's excellent.

But it is 6 games. He needs to keep it up over the course of a season. It's a bit early to think he's made it. IMO he still looks like a player developing and learning - he's not even touched anywhere near his ceiling. It's extremely promising and he's our main guy atm.

Good to hear. You could tell before he was very raw and didn't really have his "moves". Now he's putting it together. That finish is a "move" and he's pulled it off already.

Well, get the brief number of games thus far this season. But assertion was he needs to do it regularly—two goals, two assists winning a penalty in five PL games (minutes wise) seems pretty regular to me; thus far. If point is more like a one swallow (or five…) don’t make a summer, i.e. needs to be over a longer period of time, then that is a different issue.
We perhaps have varying thresholds—in a can he on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke kind of way—a summer international tournament, preseason, not looking out of place against a CL powerhouse and that kind of return in his first half a dozen PL games this season is enough for me. 

Whilst the upturn has only been this season and we are in the early games of that, I feel that there was almost a wiping of the slate clean with him after his interview after the Chelsea game, where he acknowledged his struggles with fitness and the tempo but was going to work hard over the summer to rectify that.

I’ve generally backed him a lot since it became clear he was going to join us. I did essentially call him a sewer rat because of his aggro attitude when he was at Everton but it’s great to have players to dislike who play for other teams. I’m sure most clubs’ fans have him high up on their most disliked NUFC player because of his attitude but that’s a good thing. I hate Bruno Fernandes but I get why Man U fans love him, even accounting for his excellent play 

Always backed him, his 'bad' attitude for Everton was clearly because he cared a lot and the club was a disaster. Although maybe he had some moderating of his attitude to do, it was clear he was a winner. And his technical ability and game sense is excellent and always has been. 

11 hours ago, KaKa said:

Nah man. It's absolutely fair, because at the time it was relentless. It's hardly ever just a calmly stated opinion, and so when it backfires you deserve to get cooked!

its as if people dont trust Eddie.

I'm sure it has been covered on Sky and in here.  But why was it not a handball for the first goal?  It doesn't actually help him control it, as it nearly knocks the ball off the pitch.  But I was still expecting it to be ruled out.  

Did they go into any detail on the blatant foul on him for a pen?  Stonewall, I thought.  

Really impressive yet again.  Milan has been his only below par game, from what I have seen.  Some turnaround for the lad.  Been our best player this season and can't help but feel delighted for him. 

5 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I'm sure it has been covered on Sky and in here.  But why was it not a handball for the first goal?  It doesn't actually help him control it, as it nearly knocks the ball off the pitch.  But I was still expecting it to be ruled out.  

Did they go into any detail on the blatant foul on him for a pen?  Stonewall, I thought.  

Really impressive yet again.  Milan has been his only below par game, from what I have seen.  Some turnaround for the lad.  Been our best player this season and can't help but feel delighted for him. 

Apparently the rule states that if it was not deliberate, and the ball didn't come directly off his arm to the goalscorer, then it's not handball. It should be handball imo, but accoring to the rules it isn't.

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

No idea why it should be a handball. It's not deliberate and doesn't benefit Gordon - it actually makes it harder for him to keep the move going. 

It's not a handball, it's accidental and he didn't score, the rule is clear. 

FWIW I don't think anything accidental should be a handball, it's ridiculous to punish people for the ball randomly touching their hand. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

If that's outside the box it's handball.

If it's an opposition defender in the box.. it's probably not a penalty though. And if it was flagged, I don't think it would be reversed. Could go either way.

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Well, get the brief number of games thus far this season. But assertion was he needs to do it regularly—two goals, two assists winning a penalty in five PL games (minutes wise) seems pretty regular to me; thus far. If point is more like a one swallow (or five…) don’t make a summer, i.e. needs to be over a longer period of time, then that is a different issue.
We perhaps have varying thresholds—in a can he on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke kind of way—a summer international tournament, preseason, not looking out of place against a CL powerhouse and that kind of return in his first half a dozen PL games this season is enough for me. 

I don't think 6 games are enough to say a player is performing at a high level regularly. Miggy did it for 12 games... and hasn't done it consistently since.

FWIW I genuinely think he's developing and will keep it up. His goals and assists (I'm including the penalty) are coming from thinking sharply, aggression, his increasing physicality and being a threat off both feet. He has the technique to pull off that finish 5 times a season. His quick thinking will lead to many goals. He has a lot more ability than someone like Miggy.

17 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

They say it was his hand that kept the ball in play but it looks the opposite to me, that it was his hand that almost knocks it out of play before he brings it back in.

Yep that is exactly what happened! That idiot commentator saying he kept it in ffs!

23 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

They say it was his hand that kept the ball in play but it looks the opposite to me, that it was his hand that almost knocks it out of play before he brings it back in.

You're right, the ball went further towards the line after hitting his hand, that's why he has to use his foot to keep it in play. 

That might've been part of the reason they decided to give the goal TBH, since he didn't gain any advantage (though I don't know if that's part of the rule).

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

By the way the rules are interpreted, that's a goal. 

Having said that, there's still something unsatisfactory about the situation, and I wonder if it would be better if refs were allowed to use a bit of common sense, to coin the phrase. A handball may be accidental, but the player might gain a big advantage from it. I think both aspects need to be considered.

In the Arsenal - Spurs pen incident, the defender didn't deliberately handle the ball, but he was rushing out to block what would have been a nailed-on certain goal. A pen felt like the right decision, because the consequences of the handball were huge and obvious, but it didn't real sit with the current focus on 'deliberate'. We may have to accept that we're never going to get complete certainty and consistency in this area.

2 hours ago, huss9 said:

its as if people dont trust Eddie.

In hindsight it's funny how everyone was laughing at Chelsea for trying to sign Gordon for about £60m, but when they got Mudryk for £88.5m instead and people were like "oh Chelsea are really cooking now".[emoji38]

Edited by Erikse