Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Without seeing the game and overall performance, the little bit of play he does for the second goal is absolute class, can see it at 1.35 here:

https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv/highlights/fulham-h-brief-highlights-23-24/

Receives it infield, gives it quickly to longstaff under pressure, makes a quick run round, collects an awkward delected pass effortlessly, cuts inside and rides a challenge and a lovely slipped ball through. Real quality incisive play: speed, touch, movement. Love it.

Edited by Checko
punctuation fam

Think take-on stats can be a bit iffy, tbh. Criteria for a dribble or being dribbled past is weird too, iirc. There was a stat somewhere that Doku had taken on TAA 7 times or something - watched the clips and I'd say he only beat him twice [emoji38]

From the eye test, I think he goes past players well but his natural inclination is almost like a playmaker who likes to combine.

2 hours ago, Smal said:

Kind of agree with Jagten to a large extent. His off the ball movement and pressing is very good and his finishing seems to have come on a lot but he needs to improve with the ball and especially his 1v1 ability. He does still struggle to beat a man in the final third.

image.thumb.png.c3585115184ed1545f765a6a4443512d.png

Bottom 10% in the league this season for successful take-on % is pretty poor and an area he needs to improve on massively. It's fine to admit this.  

To me.. in a 442 he’s a striker not a winger. He’s got a strikers instinct and movement in the box and off the ball. He’s also a good finisher off both feet. He can pull wide and deliver off both feet too.  And obviously he does his defensive work diligently too.  

he’s not a creative or progressive passer and he’s not great at dribbling. However, he does carry the ball forward and retains possession. He’s also fantastic at buying fouls. 

I think of him like our second striker offensively. aye he’s got his limitations but he works around them well. He’s a big reason why I think we need a creative RW because Gordon is basically a forward/striker. His Xg is strong because he gets into good positions. He’s a pretty composed finisher too off both feet. Good first touch in the main. He’ll continue to score and be in dangerous positions. 

My only real gripe is that nearly all of his gold and assists have been at home. Could offer more away from home. Overall he’s turned me into a fan. 

He’s also done well to play all of these games. Only him and Bruno have played right through everything iirc?

I think he’s worth double we paid for him and his off the ball work in terms of pressing and movement are top. He’s got brilliant box instincts and has goals and direct assists versus someone who’s more creative etc. I love Gordon’s direct style. 

@The College Dropout if he wasn’t playing 90+ every single match and getting bartered he’d be a fucking nightmare away from home. Hopefully we’ll get to see that side of him soon 

Just now, The Butcher said:

Cardly hardly run at the end of the first half, yet he stayed on.

Some baffling decisions made over the last month.

Love Eddie, but I’d agree that his handling of game time / injuries / rotation has been a weakness (and probably as a consequence of him not having that experience of playing in so many competitions at the same time). Really hope Gordon isn’t out for long. 

I'm not sure about this users post history over the past few years because I'm fairly new here, but I kind of agree with them. I think it's fair to criticize Eddie for how hard hes been riding these players. Plenty of chances to rotate the squad, but even if not, I don't think Gordon should have been out there to start the second half. Definitely room to improve for our manager when it comes to managing fitness levels. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I can only think Gordon thought he could run it off. Hasn't he said before he's usually player/physio led?

Seems like a fucking terrible idea in Newcastle's case right now :lol:

Looked like a nasty twist to the left ankle. He was hobbling the whole game and then maybe the half time break made it even worse. 

Be astounded if he's back at the weekend. 

First time I have questioned Howe's decisions really. First leaving a clearly injured player on, I don't care how talented they are, if they are struggling to put weight on one foot and can't run then they are no good to anyone. 

I know we only had defenders on the bench but Christ we weren't attacking anyways 2nd half so just throw Murphy or Dummett on and help double up at left back. 

Then there was the Ritchie over Hall decision which would need some serious explaining before I could ever wrap my head around it. If there are other factors in play then just say it, but to not be using someone whose best attributes could have helped us see out that game is really bizarre. 

4 hours ago, The Butcher said:

Not really sure what's wrong with that post? 

There was nothing wrong with it. It's just another typical response on this forum, which was a lazy way for someone to disagree with you without engaging in any meaningful conversation