Anthony Gordon

Jack27

He was our only decent player in the first half. I know there were some making excuses for that awful first half claiming we were exhausted, but how come he was still running and closing down like a demon? He's played more minutes than anyone else!.

Barnes is obviously the better finisher of the two, so it does makes sense to have him off the left to cut in and shoot. Where's Gordon is far better and more capable of beating a player one on one, so having him drive to the byline to cut crosses back works in his favour.

If those two can stay fit (and Isak) then we'll have the ability upfront to at least score the goals needed to get us up the table. At the other end and in the middle who knows what we'll get.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I think he might be better on the right. Think we could score a boatload from him running to the byline getting crosses in, Barnes arriving back post.

Put it this way.....

He will be twice as good as Murphy and Miggy. That's the only debate worth having.

He can easily be very effective on the right imo. Maybe not all the time but definitely for in-game switches or tactical tweaks at the very least. He's intelligent enough to be able to pick up inside pockets or go down the line and has 2 good feet.

18 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think he might be better on the right. Think we could score a boatload from him running to the byline getting crosses in, Barnes arriving back post.

Could be a game changer if he slots in there.

Looked very comfortable running at defenders down that side too, and will have no problem bursting by them on the outside with his pace, and putting in a decent ball, like he did for the Schar goal that was disallowed.

Very interesting indeed.

With him on the right we finally have someone to link up with Isak - Barnes is developing a nice little link to 

The 3 combine very nicely 

Surprised nobody has suggested a front three of Isak - Barnes - Gordon :lol: "Barnes is a goalscorer so he could play up front" "Isak is more effective with his dribbling from the wing so could play left wing" "Gordon would be great to get past players on the outside and cross the ball so should play on the right"

Seriously though, he played probably half of his games for Everton on the right, so its not like he can't do it. He's much better cutting inside from the left though so prefer him and all our other players to play in their best position rather than shoehorning them into the team.

3 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Surprised nobody has suggested a front three of Isak - Barnes - Gordon :lol: "Barnes is a goalscorer so he could play up front" "Isak is more effective with his dribbling from the wing so could play left wing" "Gordon would be great to get past players on the outside and cross the ball so should play on the right"

Seriously though, he played probably half of his games for Everton on the right, so its not like he can't do it. He's much better cutting inside from the left though so prefer him and all our other players to play in their best position rather than shoehorning them into the team.

Gordon has been brilliant on the left and has the goals to show for it as well, but when you think of what Barnes has proven over the last 5 or so years and in his glimpses here, I reckon he could get 15-20 from that position. Gordon's ball carrying ability can still be used on the right, plus he's a decent crosser. I think Barnes-Isak-Gordon could be an immense front line with plenty of goals. 

6 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Surprised nobody has suggested a front three of Isak - Barnes - Gordon :lol:

I did in the match thread tbf. Was electric.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Gordon has been brilliant on the left and has the goals to show for it as well, but when you think of what Barnes has proven over the last 5 or so years and in his glimpses here, I reckon he could get 15-20 from that position. Gordon's ball carrying ability can still be used on the right, plus he's a decent crosser. I think Barnes-Isak-Gordon could be an immense front line with plenty of goals. 

It's absquad game and we are building. Barnes is really only left sided, Gordon can play along the line, right sided forward in the summer. Add in Anderson and Joelinton can both play wide left, possible Minteh coming in. Loads of options for keeping players fesh, rotating, from the bench freshness etc 

I honestly don't think it makes a difference if he plays left or right, the lad is clearly comfortable playing either. 

The most encouraging thing is that him, Barnes and isak are starting to link up, as much as I loved Wilson, miggy and even maxi last year, they aren't the guys taking us forward