Anthony Gordon

Jack27

1 hour ago, PauloGeordio said:

But he just needed to be appreciated & loved. He’s going nowhere anytime soon [emoji38]

Obviously :rolleyes: But that wasn't the point. The point is that he categorically says the measure of him being a top player in his own eyes is winning things.

If we don't win anything, loved or not, he's off. It might be 2-3 seasons down the line, but....

Edited by Holmesy

Just now, Holmesy said:

Obviously :rolleyes: But that wasn't the point. The point is that he categorically says the measure of him being a top player in his own eyes is winning things.

If we don't win anything, loved or not, he's off

Eventually possibly. Next season. I doubt it. Without injuries this season we’d be top 4 contenders. I expect our trajectory to keep going in an upward trend. As long as that’s happening he’ll stay. Time will tell for how long obviously. 

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

If we don't win anything, loved or not, he's off. It might be 2-3 seasons down the line, but....

I don’t think we necessarily have to win something in that period, but we have to be genuinely competing to win things.

So we have to be getting to semi-finals and finals, qualifying for CL etc.

Further down the line, I’d probably say, yeah, we genuinely have to have won something.

47 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

Why on earth would you find that surprising? 

Nothing in particular. Maybe I've just never paid attention to the training videos or them on the field or anything. Like you can tell that Isak and Willock are close, Bruno and Joelinton.

Very good interview. Let’s see if he can back it up tomorrow at Palace as it’s just as important to be able to do it on the smaller stages not just the big ones. He’s due a really good game away from home. Feels its been a little while since he’s had one.

2 hours ago, mikejaxer said:

Quite surprised he said he's close to Elliot Anderson

Not too surprised, they've been together in videos since he joined us, but it is very pleasing to hear. Seeing how well Gordon comes across in the interview, you have to think Anderson has a similar/compatible mentality which bodes really well for him and us in the future.

2 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

Eventually possibly. Next season. I doubt it. Without injuries this season we’d be top 4 contenders. I expect our trajectory to keep going in an upward trend. As long as that’s happening he’ll stay. Time will tell for how long obviously. 

I think that's right. You just have to listen to the confidence with which he said "Newcastle is only going in one direction" when talking about his move here. He has total conviction in what we're doing, even if some of us here don't!

1 hour ago, mikejaxer said:

Nothing in particular. Maybe I've just never paid attention to the training videos or them on the field or anything. Like you can tell that Isak and Willock are close, Bruno and Joelinton.

Isac's best mate here is Botman. I think all the players are close looking at them on the pitch and in training.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Very good interview. Let’s see if he can back it up tomorrow at Palace as it’s just as important to be able to do it on the smaller stages not just the big ones. He’s due a really good game away from home. Feels its been a little while since he’s had one.

Harder to do away when we have been so bad away all season.

That was a good watch, AG comes across really well, a pretty grounded down to earth lad. Also as someone esle said, Neville is really good at these more informal interviews he does. Remember a similar one of these with Alan Shearer too, which was also decent. 

Watched it on my dinner today at work, massively impressed with Gordon, though I will say even though he's always clearly been ambitious I think that he has matured a lot since he has joined us. I think that's probably a combination of Howe's leadership, self improvement and moving away from home comforts. The way he thinks of every detail to improve his game means he's nowhere near his ceiling and I hope he continues to improve here with us, love the visualisation techniques, something my daughter does with Cheerleading, a really effective way to prepare mentally for every eventuality. 

I will hold my hand up, I said I didn't want him here, he seemed a trouble maker and wasn't impressed with his first half a season here, however I am happy to eat my words and admit I know nothing :lol: not many I would swap him for right now.

7 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Watched it on my dinner today at work, massively impressed with Gordon, though I will say even though he's always clearly been ambitious I think that he has matured a lot since he has joined us. I think that's probably a combination of Howe's leadership, self improvement and moving away from home comforts. The way he thinks of every detail to improve his game means he's nowhere near his ceiling and I hope he continues to improve here with us, love the visualisation techniques, something my daughter does with Cheerleading, a really effective way to prepare mentally for every eventuality. 

I will hold my hand up, I said I didn't want him here, he seemed a trouble maker and wasn't impressed with his first half a season here, however I am happy to eat my words and admit I know nothing :lol: not many I would swap him for right now.

To be fair, even Gordon was unimpressed with his first half season here. 😁

I love his mentality. I also like the fact the club have let him have his way in terms of not weight training and not having treatment/massage etc. 

Wasnt expecting him to have so much depth and maturity. Didn’t really have an assumption based on his reputation but just for his age. It’s rare. 

Was interesting to hear him talking about different things he works on and staying after training. I think he would be next level on the RW. Beating players down the line and walking into the box or putting a cross in for Isak. I prefer Barnes on the left just due to his shooting/finishing. I’d prefer him doing the cutting in and the 1-2 through ball.

I love that Neville brought up Pires as a right footed left winger who almost never went down the line and you couldn’t even picture him crossing on his left. Gordon isn’t that limited with his weak foot and I’ve seen him put a few crosses in on his left. Definitely not as predictable as Miggy on the other side who’s completely one footed and always cutting in. 

We’ve been very lucky with Isak, Bruno, Gordon, Tino. Hope to add Hall to that list next season. Would be nice to get in a cornerstone CB this summer and have one of those at each major position moving forward. 

exciting times! 

Edited by Sufi

1 minute ago, Sufi said:

I love his mentality. I also like the fact the club have let him have his way in terms of not weight training and not having treatment/massage etc. 

Wasnt expecting him to have so much depth and maturity. Didn’t really have an assumption based on his reputation but just for his age. It’s rare. 

Was interesting to hear him talking about different things he works on and staying after training. I think he would be next level on the RW. Beating players down the line and walking into the box or putting a cross in for Isak. I prefer Barnes on the left just due to his shooting/finishing. I’d prefer him doing the cutting in and the 1-2 through ball. I love that Neville brought up Pires as a right footed left winger who almost never went down the line and you couldn’t even picture him crossing on his left. Gordon isn’t that limited with his weak foot and I’ve seen him put a few crosses in on his left. Definitely not as predictable as Miggy on the other side who’s completely one footed and always cutting in. 

We’ve been very lucky with Isak, Bruno, Gordon, Tino. Hope to add Hall to that list next season. Would be nice to get in a cornerstone CB this summer and have one of those at each major position moving forward. 

exciting times! 

Interesting that he's based a lot of the visualisation stuff on Salah, who he said is a player he really looks up to and wants to emulate

If Gordon ends up being our Salah, that would be quite something

2 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

Only one let down

Loop Trump GIF

think its just morbid curiosity from  Gordon.

"surely no one can be that deluded" kind of vibe.

Was beaming when he said his ability and ambition wasn't being matched at Everton so he came to us. Can't imagine what's being told to the players coming on board.  Buzzing for the future.