Anthony Gordon

Jack27

1 minute ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Why is it? His performances this season clearly havent been good enough to warrant being a mainstay, despite playing under the same manager. Its absolutely relevant when considering the fee and a pretty good indicator when considering whether he's good enough. 

Only if Everton play the same tactics as us, and his role is identical? 

1 hour ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Really not sure what Gordon has done to deserve a 40M pricetag like. A few decent performances last season. Cant get in the team this season. 

And yet one of the best Directors of Football in the country is trying to do the deal, And THE best manager in the league wants the deal done.

Maybe you just don't really get this whole football thing :laugh:

3 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Why is it? His performances this season clearly havent been good enough to warrant being a mainstay, despite playing under the same manager. Its absolutely relevant when considering the fee and a pretty good indicator when considering whether he's good enough. 

Except he was a mainstay in the team prior to getting injured, there are lots of people looking for complex narratives when reality is likely much simpler. 

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

And yet one of the best Directors of Football in the country is trying to do the deal, And THE best manager in the league wants the deal done.

Maybe you just don't really get this whole football thing :laugh:

So? We're allowed to debate the merits of the deal as we see fit. They're not infallible. 

Edited by Doctor Zaius

Just now, Doctor Zaius said:

So? We're allowed to debate the merits of the deal as we see fit. 

So? Who says you can't?

I'm just letting you know I don't rate or trust your judgement, like you don't rate Gordon :laugh:

I was hoping we'd spend our budget on a proven talent like Maddison who not only brings the exact attributes we need (creativity to unlock a low block defence) but who has produced goals and assists year on year in this league and was producing far better numbers at the same age as Gordon. That type of signing is usually a pretty safe bet for teams who have the finances and can attract them. But we do need quality on the left and Howe clearly doesn't trust ASM tactically. You can see how Gordon would fit Howe's system, and he has talked about lowering the squad's average age. This feels much more of an educated punt on youth, a gamble on his potential, the fact he'll suit our system better than he did at Everton, and maybe shine in a better team. It feels high risk for the fees quoted, but Howe and the scouts have earned some trust.

This looks like it'll spell the end for ASM maybe in the summer, unless he's willing to accept his role as an explosive bench player.

13 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Why is it? His performances this season clearly havent been good enough to warrant being a mainstay, despite playing under the same manager. Its absolutely relevant when considering the fee and a pretty good indicator as to whether hes good enough.

Only if you believe that every team and system has the same needs, every manager is a perfect judge of players and an XI is always made up of the objective best players who are the best ones to buy. It makes no sense. 

We had Schar who 'couldn't get in the team' for a year.

I do think "can't get in the team" can be a bit of an unreliable criticism, especially when you're talking about a team like Everton and a manager like Lampard. Just look at Schar and Almiron a year or so ago. 

4 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

I was hoping we'd spend our budget on a proven talent like Maddison who not only brings the exact attributes we need (creativity to unlock a low block defence) but who has produced goals and assists year on year in this league and was producing far better numbers at the same age as Gordon. That type of signing is usually a pretty safe bet for teams who have the finances and can attract them. But we do need quality on the left and Howe clearly doesn't trust ASM tactically. You can see how Gordon would fit Howe's system, and he has talked about lowering the squad's average age. This feels much more of an educated punt on youth, a gamble on his potential, the fact he'll suit our system better than he did at Everton, and maybe shine in a better team. It feels high risk for the fees quoted, but Howe and the scouts have earned some trust.

This looks like it'll spell the end for ASM maybe in the summer, unless he's willing to accept his role as an explosive bench player.

What is this budget you refer to?

Why do you think it is either Gordon or Maddison?

Why do you think he is coming in to start straight away ahead of ASM or anyone else?

I’m not sure why some of us think along the lines of - I wanted Maddison and not Gordon, these players arnt mutually exclusive. They play different positions, are at different stages of their career and there’s every chance we go back in for Maddison in the summer anyway.

Now someone might say ‘we need Maddison more NOW than we do Gordon’. We are witnessing people in charge who are going about their business meticulously and building a squad that they believe will be contenders, just because target A might be a more effective signing in the short term they won’t be ripped off in signing them if we can do good business and sign target B now. The destination is the same never mind which player comes first, we build build build for the future but we go for targets who are available for money we believe is reasonable. 

Edited by Nine

17 minutes ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

Everton have played 20 league games

He has played 16 and has played 90 mins in most of them (3 as sub)

But facts get in the way of the truth

The other way of looking at it is that he's only started 1 of their last 7 league games

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Why do you think he is coming in to start straight away ahead of ASM or anyone else?

The club's budget, whatever it is. Any signing comes with opportunity cost. 

Didn't say that. Was an example of a more proven player, one we've been linked and possibly available so he's relevant.

Didn't say that either. Howe showed with Bruno and Isak he's happy to ease players in, and I'd imagine even moreso with someone younger. That's why I said "maybe in the summer". But fact is ASM has barely started a game this season as it is and if we sign a left winger for big money in ASM's position, it's pretty obvious it further limits his opportunities. I see it as either ASM accepting his role as an explosive sub or moving on. That might depend on us finishing top 4.

Its been said before but this place would have been fun when we were signing Bellamy.

Other than the hair aspect they are very similar situations

For the record I'm on the fence as to whether AG will kick on and have a good career or last season will be his peak, but I don't think he is the type of player we should be targeting right now and a Maddison type makes more sense. I wouldn't be against seeing him right wing with Maxi on the left and Miggy as a number 10, or even try Maxi as the 10 and have 2 pacey wide players and Wilson/Isak create space so he doesn't get crowded out

The Bellamy comparison has led me down the route of reminding myself all the batshit mental stuff that went on during his time with the club on & off the pitch, he was certainly a character.

1 minute ago, ohmelads said:

The club's budget, whatever it is. Any signing comes with opportunity cost. 

Didn't say that. Was an example of a more proven player, one we've been linked and possibly available so he's relevant.

Didn't say that either. Howe showed with Bruno and Isak he's happy to ease players in, and I'd imagine even moreso with someone younger. That's why I said "maybe in the summer". But fact is ASM has barely started a game this season as it is and if we sign a left winger for big money in ASM's position, it's pretty obvious it further limits his opportunities. I see it as either ASM accepting his role as an explosive sub or moving on. That might depend on us finishing top 4.

You spoke of the budget as if spending on Gordon means no other deals could be done.

You spoke of signing Gordon as if it meant Maddison or anyone else couldn't be signed in addition to him.

You spoke of Gordon coming in on the left because Howe doesn't trust ASM tactically.

Come on man.

21 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

Maddison had just signed for Leicester at Gordon's age and hadn't played in the prem. Gordon has 6-7 PL goals to his name before Maddison had even made his PL debut at the same age. 

Gordons breakthrough seasons were in a relegation threatened basket case of a club. Leicester were at the top end of the table functioning like a club which could upset the establishment again. 

It's really hard to compare them both due to their environments, nevermind the different types of players that they are. 

5 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Its been said before but this place would have been fun when we were signing Bellamy.

Other than the hair aspect they are very similar situations

For the record I'm on the fence as to whether AG will kick on and have a good career or last season will be his peak, but I don't think he is the type of player we should be targeting right now and a Maddison type makes more sense. I wouldn't be against seeing him right wing with Maxi on the left and Miggy as a number 10, or even try Maxi as the 10 and have 2 pacey wide players and Wilson/Isak create space so he doesn't get crowded out

And still it continues ...

Why do you believe they have prioritised Gordon ahead of this Maddison type and chosen to forego that sort of signing? And what makes you think Maddison or any other similar profile of player has not been targeted this window?