Anthony Gordon

Jack27

1 minute ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Am I the only one who is completely underwhelmed by the potential signing of Gordon! 

Probably not. I’m excited by Gordon’s potential in our team under Eddie! 

Edited by PauloGeordio

I've come around to Gordon from the perspective of seeing the board trying to capitalise on our position in the table and sustaining it for the remainder of the season. 

If Maddison was available for the same money, I have no doubts we'd be going for him instead. But the January market is awful and we don't want to pay through the nose. 

I'm sure Gordon could do a job for us, even if it's just more competition on the wings. 

1 hour ago, sushimonster85 said:

I actually think (depressingly) Dyche keeps them up. It's a suprisingly competent appointment. Obviously Everton fans seem gutted as they think they should be appointing 'elite' managers, but he is the best realistic option they had. He will make them hard to beat, and they will will scrape survival. Then next season when he has them playing solid but unspectacular football and they sit around 14/13th at the mid-season point they will hound him out. 

I just don't see three worse teams than them.

Even Bournemouth are on the spend.

8 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

Am I the only one who is completely underwhelmed by the potential signing of Gordon! 

I have absolute faith in Howe's recruitment, and if he wants to buy players who will suit his methods I am 100% all in.

Personally I’d rather have Gordon starting for us than Willock. And I despise Gordon. Just mentioning this as so many on here seem to rate Willock so highly for some reason. I like Willock, but apart from his ball carrying in transition he doesn’t offer much. Same with Longstaff who I like, but I feel is overrated by many on here. Love the attitude and work rage from both players though. As we progress and look to improve we will get more technical players, in general. I know they don’t play the same exact position But Gordon can play left of a middle 3 for example, even though his more natural position is as a wide player. Think he can do well in our system in multiple positions. Hopefully his decision making and end product can improve here if he signs.

Edited by Ikon

I will say though, I think signing Gordon might hinge on who takes over at Everton. If it's Dyche, then we will probably get him. If it's Bielsa, then he's also a high press merchant so he'll want to keep Gordon IMO.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I will say though, I think signing Gordon might hinge on who takes over at Everton. If it's Dyche, then we will probably get him. If it's Bielsa, then he's also a high press merchant so he'll want to keep Gordon IMO.

You're not alone in this...

I'm happy with him as long as we don't over pay. I think the leaked £25m+15m add ons is bang on where it should be and he'll fit in well with Howe's style of play. We look leggy, out of ideas and could do with something else around the final third. He might not be the one to score or assist straight away, but his pressure from his pace, determination and stamina will force the opposition into mistakes.

Going back to the fee, I know a lot of people will say it's not your money so why worry. Well with FFP in place and holes all over the squad, it's imperative we don't over spend to neglect another position. As long as that doesn't happen and it's the managers signing, then I've got no issues with this one. 

If you're worried about him missing training, don't be. Their board are Ashley lite, the fans are RTG on steroids. Combined you just don't know what situation the lad is in, but it's clear it's not a nice one and he wants out. Also if you're worried about his ruction with schar/trippier...don't be. It's all part of the game, they'll be laughing about it as soon as he lands in training and be ribbing each other for months after. Next time something explodes on the field, they'll all have each others back.. 

24 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

You arnt, I personally am though. I think this guy will win everyone that’s unsure about him over pretty quickly should he sign.

21 minutes ago, HawK said:

I've come around to Gordon from the perspective of seeing the board trying to capitalise on our position in the table and sustaining it for the remainder of the season. 

I've come around to Gordon from the perspective of seeing this board lose its shit over him. 

He'll do for me. 😉

Gordon is better than Murphy, who is the one likely to be displaced from the squad in his favour.  Gordon might start or might not, but Howe and Ashworth appear to want him, and that really should be enough.

I think too many have assumed a bit too much about the players we’re likely to bring in and how much we’re likely to spend, and it’s leading to unnecessary disappointment.  The model has been made pretty clear as far as I’m concerned; Chelsea has shown that FFP is meaningless, and PIF aren’t chucking silly money about like them - they could have spent vast sums and not been hit by it to date.  The club is going to be built sustainably, with young players with potential brought in to develop with the club and the manager.  Over the coming years, the commercial revenues will increase year on year with more and more favourable sponsorship deals - I’m willing to bet on companies from KSA with no ‘direct’ link to PIF to avoid being hit with the rule book (but let’s face it, any company in KSA will want the govt onside).  It’s not a vanity project nor is it ‘sportswashing’ in the same way as Abu Dhabi or Qatar.  It’s an combination of genuine investment and a pursuit of soft power.

They spent so much last Jan to protect their investment.  They won’t want do it again; hopefully they will never have to. 

Funnily enough, it’s the model Ashley once proposed, only on steroids and well-run.  Sounds good to me. 

I'll trust any move Eddie and the club make until they give me reason not to. But I still am not looking forward to having to back the lad if this comes off. :lol: Hopefully he proves us doubters wrong and shows himself to be a sound, down to earth guy once he's out of that clusterfuck of a club.

Signings have a bizarre hold over me like. Dunno if anyone else is the same, but I don't really rate him, dislike him because he's a diver, don't like that he's missed training, and would rather we went for Maddison. Yet because it's got to this stage, I'm impatiently refreshing and waiting for him to sign. 

Unless you’re in the shit (as we were last year), you probably shouldn’t really be bringing in more than two players in the January window. 

Obviously there’s always exceptions to the rule, but multiple signings in January suggests major problems within a team/club.

11 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Signings have a bizarre hold over me like. Dunno if anyone else is the same, but I don't really rate him, dislike him because he's a diver, don't like that he's missed training, and would rather we went for Maddison. Yet because it's got to this stage, I'm impatiently refreshing and waiting for him to sign. 

Im the same. I've actually managed to convince myself that he'll be a fantastic signing, even though I never really would have wanted him before this mini transfer saga.

Although at the same time, I do think the people that have been deciding on transfers so far have earned the right to be trusted. 

Edited by Joey47