Southampton 0-1 Newcastle United (24/01/2023)

Disco

We've been the more dangerous side and have largely dominated but our general play really seems to have taken a step back lately, can't seem to string two passes together and there just seems to be no consistent link between midfield and final third.

Big half incoming, because if they nick one and take back a 1-0 to SJP I wouldn't be convinced we could break them down ATM even at home, doesn't really seem like any lessons have been learned from Saturday.

Just now, SiLvOR said:

More frustration. Should be one up, probably two if we count that Willock chance. Crying out for some creative players man.

Some composure would do. Twice Willock just lashed the cunt over the bar. 

4 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Shame Djenepo has gone off. He was utter garbage. 

What a game for him. First he gets the full rage of Nathan Jones for no reason other than Jones wanting to steal 10 meters for their throw in. Looks sad all game then gets knocked out by Pope

Willock has seen an awful lot of the ball and has been very wasteful with it. 

It's becoming a bit of a common theme of late. 

Salisu man marking Almiron is some level of acknowledgement that he's currently our only dependable attacking threat. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Should be 3 up tbh, poor finishing from Willock and yet another group of incompetent officials.

Has the feeling of us getting fucked over about this leg at the moment 

Struggle to imagine we'll not beat them over the next 135 mins.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

At the risk of bringing down a lot of ire here, Joelinton’s hand moves towards the ball.  You can see it from a couple of camera angles.  It’s a pisser, but there is no way they’re going to give it.

Generally speaking our passing has been woeful at times, and our finishing is wasteful.  We’ve still been the better side by a mile, which indicates just how shite Southampton has been.

0-0 quarter of the way through though; can’t be too unhappy 

I didn't see any view that showed enough to overturn it tbf. I didn't think it was a handball but if VAR is supposed reverse only obvious mistakes then I see why the call stood, even if I didn't like it.

Much the better side. Despite quite a few having off days. 

Willock, Longstaff and Burn have all lacked composure when it mattered.

Almiron a constant threat. But his passing has been sloppy. 

Bruno not his usual self on the ball. But still getting about the pitch well. 

Wilson, not a lot of service. But a touch like a trampoline. 

Still, should be 1 up. But the ref was desperate to blow up. 

Defence super, as always. 

1 minute ago, Beren said:

Yeah he seems a good lad but he is in a poor run of form right now. Bit of a passenger.

Seemed such an obvious game to bring in Isak, was surprised to see Wilson start again given his form and the need to keep him fresh to avoid injury.

1 minute ago, Lenny said:

Willock has seen an awful lot of the ball and has been very wasteful with it. 

It's becoming a bit of a common theme of late. 

100%

Gets credit for running fast in a straight line, but 90% of the time he's so wasteful when he gets into a position to use the ball.

Guest reefatoon
Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Need to rethink that front 3. Doesn't work.

Was just coming to say this. It hasn’t worked for a few weeks now, but we keep persevering with it. Almiron has been poor again today, Wilson anonymous and Joelinton is wasted out wide left. We need to change that front three or we are just not going to score again. Keep dominating games though which is great. Have to say, I am just not a fan of Longstaff in that midfield, just chases shadows and puts the ball backwards. Mix this up for the second half and get a goal, come on lads!!