How would you rate our January 2023 Transfer Window?

Rich

How would you rate our January 2023 Transfer Window?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. (0 = eee it was a disgrace, 10 = we'll never see a better one)

10 minutes ago, Holloway said:

The opportunity to push on in critical moments has historically been spurned a fair few times, and here was another. Happy to see the back of Wood and Shelvey,but to not replace the latter with a bit more quality could fuck up our CL challenge, and I feel that is a bit reckless.  5 for me 

I just assume that is down to strategically building the strongest team in the shortest time possible in a sustainable manner. I do think we needed at least another CM, but I can understand wanting to wait until we can bring in one who can really make the difference. I'm assuming we thought there's no point in bringing in players who aren't significantly better than Joelinton, Longstaff or Willock. Those lads have their faults, but they bring a lot to the table which would be hard to better when it comes to work rate and team ethic.

6.5 for me, maybe  should be a 7  so I'll go with that. Kuol and Ashby restock the team with some younger prospects and Gordon should slot right in to Eddie's tactics. Really good additions to me.

Edit: Not to mention trimming the squad nicely.

Edited by McDog

Did surprisingly well to get rid of the dead Wood *cough* for a large fee. The outgoings generally were good.

Not sold on Gordon but hope he proves me wrong. Ashby seems a decent addition. The big flaw though was letting Shelvey go without anyone coming in though.

:thup:

The ultimate aim isn't to qualify for the Champions League this season. It's to sustainably build a team that competes for honours and European sports every season. In the short term, our amazing start gives us a wonderful opportunity this time around, but I don't think it ever factored into the owners spending plans.

I see no reason why we can't sustain our challenge regardless, but even if we fall short, top six would be an excellent effort from this squad. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

:thup:

The ultimate aim isn't to qualify for the Champions League this season. It's to sustainably build a team that competes for honours and European sports every season. In the short term, our amazing start gives us a wonderful opportunity this time around, but I don't think it ever factored into the owners spending plans.

I see no reason why we can't sustain our challenge regardless, but even if we fall short, top six would be an excellent effort from this squad. 

If we win the league cup I won't care about anything else this season.

Although if we're top 4 dependent on the result of the final matchday fixtures I will change my tune Gollum/Smeagol style :lol: 

Surprised to see such low marks. The turnover of first team  players was always going to be minimal to maintain squad harmony and minimise any possible disruption. Same will be in the Summer.

I think once people see the impact that Gordon makes over Wood they might revise their scores. 

Id be marking it at around 7 as I had a CM all rounder as priority but like Liverpool did if the player you want isn’t available then don’t waste money fudging the position. Bruno’s suspension will test the squad early to its limit but might benefit Willock allowing him to play more central.

I hope this window has confirmed to the owners and some on here if they didn’t know already that certain clubs are going to do us absolutely no favours. So whoever their preferred options are they best make sure they aren’t playing for certain clubs as a waste of time.

I’m happy with all the signings we’ve made. Kuol, Gordon and Ashby all seem to be exciting young talents with a real desire to be a success at Newcastle.

Crucially, they all seem to have really bought into Howe’s ethos, and as illustrated in their interviews all believe they can progress under his management.

My concern is that going into the window, it seemed like a CM was a priority position to strengthen. However, at the end of the window, we’re actually weaker in that area.

This concern is somewhat tempered by a recognition that the club and by extension recruitment is guided by a firm strategy, which will hopefully yield a positive outcome in the summer.

I also think we’ve again let ourselves be messed about by other teams. Last year it was Man United with Lingard and this year it’s been Chelsea with Gallagher.

From reports, it seems Chelsea were simply not willing to negotiate with us at any point in the window, so I’m not sure why we were still trying for their players, it comes across as naive to an external observer. 

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Is it reckless to risk not qualifying for the Champions League? I think internally they probably see it as an absolute bonus. 

A bit reckless, because of the way the league is shaping up, Liverpool and Chelsea way off the pace. 4th within our grasp, a quality cm would be making the difference I feel. We still may well do it, like,if we get lucky with injuries there

1 minute ago, duo said:

If we miss CL I think we'll look back at this window as a missed opportunity 

Out of interest, what would you have done differently to maximise that opportunity? 

Genuinely curious. I don't think there was a lack of effort from the club and had a long term midfield target had become available they would have gone all in.

I think if anything derails our season it's arguably going to be fatigue, but the squad is so short on quality in reserve you'd never sign enough players to combat that in a single window.

We're just punching massively above our weight at the moment. It's class and I'd be grateful for any form of European football regardless of how it comes.

Just now, Holloway said:

A bit reckless, because of the way the league is shaping up, Liverpool and Chelsea way off the pace. 4th within our grasp, a quality cm would be making the difference I feel. We still may well do it, like,if we get lucky with injuries there

It'll be the same as most seasons. If you hit the 70 point mark, you'll have a decent shout of CL football.

There's half a season to go, nothing is within our grasp at this stage.

3 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I think losing Shelvey with no like-for-like replacement is a mistake. That alone has a big impact on the rating for me. Without that I'd probably give it a 7. Looking back it may end up being a brilliant one if Howe continues turning water into wine though.

This

23 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Surprised to see such low marks. The turnover of first team  players was always going to be minimal to maintain squad harmony and minimise any possible disruption. Same will be in the Summer.

I think once people see the impact that Gordon makes over Wood they might revise their scores. 

Id be marking it at around 7 as I had a CM all rounder as priority but like Liverpool did if the player you want isn’t available then don’t waste money fudging the position. Bruno’s suspension will test the squad early to its limit but might benefit Willock allowing him to play more central.

I hope this window has confirmed to the owners and some on here if they didn’t know already that certain clubs are going to do us absolutely no favours. So whoever their preferred options are they best make sure they aren’t playing for certain clubs as a waste of time.

:lol: you really are surprised? If we got MacAllister, Diaby, and the reanimated corpse of Cruyff, a few would still give low marks.

15 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It'll be the same as most seasons. If you hit the 70 point mark, you'll have a decent shout of CL football.

There's half a season to go, nothing is within our grasp at this stage.

Ok then,we are in a very strong position at this stage, and a quality addition in cm would have further strengthened it. Possible missed opportunity, we'll see 

38 minutes ago, duo said:

If we miss CL I think we'll look back at this window as a missed opportunity 

This is right. I rated the window a 4 because some rivals for the top 4 noticeably improved, while we did not. I was hoping for another signature signing (Bruno-level) that would push the club on to the CL.

Negatives 

* Not convinced about Gordon in the short term

* We’re now short in central midfield. No replacement for Shelvey.

* Arsenal,  Chelsea, Man United did well.

* Fraser still around.

Positives

* Signed prospects for the future

* Gordon’s game is suited to our style of play

* Removed older players who are on high wages

* Brighton, Liverpool standing still. Man City worse off

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

This lad has not started a league game in a division above League 1 and... is not a CM as far as I know.

We are 1 further injury or suspension away from being forced to change formation or put square pegs in round holes.

It may work. We may get away with it. But we're short squad-wise.

I agree we are short, but my point in the 4-3-3 we only need one defensive mid really (although they all contribute defensively with the high press). Anderson could theoretically play a more creative role in midfield 3 but completely agree he is nowhere near ready. We do have Joelinton, Longstaff and Bruno can all do the deeper role, and Willock and Anderson could fill in ahead if absolutely necessary, though more likely we would go to a midfield 2 i guess in a 4-2-3-1 with gordon/asm/isak in the no 10 position. If we lose Joelinton and Bruno we are seriously in trouble though. I wanted a centre mid too, we're short but i am not going to be overly critical, if there wasn't anyone good enough then fine, Shelvey was no guarantee to be fit or to be at his best anyway. I would maybe have erred on keeping him but Howe probably doesn't want players sticking around who don't want to be there. 

6/10 for me

Really happy with Gordon and with Trippier being so influential and important for us on the right it's great they've added a player of seemingly identical profile but can't get my head round why we left ourselves short up front and in midfield.

I get a permanent transfers might be off the table but surely a loan would be risk free and preferable to someone filling in a gap that's not natural to them eg ASM up front

Thought CM was the biggest need going in. Still do and we’ve not addressed it. 

I’m fine with them looking more long term and not signing players for the sake of it like Forest and Chelsea. 

But it always felt like we were going to lose a player or two to suspension or injury and Howe has been using all 4 CM’s in his regular XI. 

Gordon might mean we can change formation and personnel, of course. But I was hoping we’d sign a recognised CM, preferably one that could sit a bit deeper. 

Gordon could be great. But it’s a lot of money for potential and what he might become under Howe. Don’t know much about Ashby. But hardly a risk at the price.