Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

Lovely situation when 30% (if that) of the league are trying to control what 70% of the rest of the league can do re player recruitment, commercial growth and ultimately on field success. Wish they’d fucked off with the super league and we’d changed the locks whilst they were gone. 

6 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

Lovely situation when 30% (if that) of the league are trying to control what 70% of the rest of the league can do re player recruitment, commercial growth and ultimately on field success. Wish they’d fucked off with the super league and we’d changed the locks whilst they were gone. 

If it’s passed through, then more than the big 6 have voted for it.

Im not hugely against being limited to spending 85% of turnover. It's them determining how a club makes that turnover is what makes it a pisstake.

Edited by The Prophet

Nothing is changing for next season so we will have to sell a ton pf players which is difficult because most of them have virtually no value, or Bruno to PSG for the release clause in his contract that Bruno and his agent wanted. The worst of all the options.

1 hour ago, simonsays said:

You have to imagine we will now have official tractor, sanitary product etc partners lined up in readiness for this

Where have we been all this time with that?

These two stories bring home how arbitrary and convenient it is.

Everton were a bigger club than half that top6 until the PL era and bigger than Liverpool for most of the time before that but now have to at the absolute best make up the numbers because they didn't think to pull up the draw-bridge when part of the big5 (or whatever it was called) in the 80s.

Musical chairs nature of it feels outrageous.

2 hours ago, GeordieT said:

Not great reading, we would be in breach if it applied now - not withstanding last years accounts are  a poor point in time reference to judge our off the field progress.

Corruption at work in plain sight.  I just pray the club challenge this in the courts otherwise we are stuffed.

Edited by duo

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Im not hugely against being limited to spending 85% of turnover. It's them determining how a club makes that turnover is what makes it a pisstake.

:serious:

5 minutes ago, duo said:

Corruption at work in plain sight.  I just pray the club challenge this in the courts otherwise we are stuffed.

Absolutely zero chance the club challenges this in court 

Getting closer and closer to the point where I just say fuck it and sponsor everything. Create about 400 different sponsorship deals for £999,999.98 each and just announce it, and spend it before the cunts have a chance to close the loophole off. I'm talking sponsoring doorhandles, tin openers, zips, coat pegs, engine oil the fucking lot. Sponsor it all, get in £400m and spend it before they know it's fucking happened. When they boot off just calmly explain it's all within the rules that we're all abiding by. Play them at their own game

And if all that seems ridiculous then we can turn around and say that's it's even more ridiculous that the richest cunts on the planet are not allowed to invest in their own business. We had no other option but to go nuclear, exploit the loopholes to the maximum because the current rules are simply not fit for purpose. Reform PL

2 minutes ago, duo said:

Presumably these new rules get the likes for City and Chelsea out of jail?

They will have to be dealt with as the rules apply at the time.

2 hours ago, GeordieT said:

Not great reading, we would be in breach if it applied now - not withstanding last years accounts are  a poor point in time reference to judge our off the field progress.

Hopefully some of those who know about these things can provide clarity but from my naive perspective based on these figures we would need to increase revenue by £27.7m or make up the difference with player sales and wage reduction.

So we may be in a position where we are looking to have to sell to balance the books and hoping for some surplus to reinvest? What makes it more alarming is the Euro 70% cut off leaves us £65m over the limit! Not sure when the Euro rules kick in but looks like qualifying might not be such a good idea.

Potential sponsors will be aware of this too and might be more reluctant to invest. And even if we get some good offers they can be shot down too.

They have really screwed us all ends up. 

30 minutes ago, duo said:

:serious:

I'm still not against FFP as an idea and wouldn't want us to go all Chelsea/Man City even if we were allowed.

It's just impossible to create a system that's fair to everyone. In theory when it was first invented every team should've been on the same starting line. Chelsea/Man City took the piss for ages but are now big enough due to the earlier limitless spending that they don't really have to worry about anything. Others from the big 6 were big and well ran at the right time before FFP kicked in (outside of Spurs who have done an impressive job).

I have no idea what the solution should be in 2024 but it's a complete joke right now where they make shit up as they go (Everton and Forest deductions) or limit a club like us to not spend a penny in January in the midst of the worst injury crisis humanity has ever witnessed.

Edited by Pata

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Alignment with UEFA seems inevitable.

Our best hope seems to be them relaxing the related party transaction rules, particularly with Man United on board.

Need to rename ground whilst building a new one also.

14 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Why on earth are clubs, particularly ambitious ones like us and Villa, voting for this man? Makes no sense.

Unless we know something everyone else doesn't. Maybe FMV or related party bollocks is going out the window too.

I've maintained we will have some clearer answers this summer. I'm fully expecting some serious sponsorship deals incoming. If not then serious questions need to start being answered. I'm confident though we will have positive news and I still also maintain we will be moving stadium, with a possible announcement this summer alongside the plans for new training facilities. My favourite expression (on here anyways) time will tell.

28 minutes ago, Toontimes said:

So we may be in a position where we are looking to have to sell to balance the books and hoping for some surplus to reinvest? What makes it more alarming is the Euro 70% cut off leaves us £65m over the limit! Not sure when the Euro rules kick in but looks like qualifying might not be such a good idea.

I'd kind of assumed that the 85/70 rule would apply to Champions League, not Europa and Conference Leagues too although I've not actually seen that written anywhere. 

There is a massive drop-off between Champions League income and the rest so finishing just outside of those places will be a triple-jeopardy of missing out on CL money, still having to invest in your squad for a European campaign but also having to reduce your spending! Imagine a club finishing at the lower end of the table, maybe winning the FA Cup & qualifying for Europe. They're bringing in (relatively) fuck-all anyway, now they're getting their cap cut by 15%??

59 minutes ago, Stifler said:

They will have to be dealt with as the rules apply at the time.

Don’t bet on the £105 million still being the number in place for the last period .

The reason I say this is at the moment every club has been measured against the same rules it’s abundantly clear that unless that £105 million is elevated the number of clubs that almost certainly will be charged, and yes Chelsea are in that group, will probably be in double figures