Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

Aye its almost been like the people running football want an independent regulator and are sabotaging things to that end. Frightening to imagine the absolute shambles they've made of things is an effort to stave that off.

9 minutes ago, madras said:

Then change the rules, come up a with formula to allow investment without it being a closed shop for the richest. Owners being able to put in without it being debt on the club would be a start but it has to be limited somehow to stop it just being the "big 6" instead of "big 5" or whatever.

I wonder how many on here would have wanted Man City to win their case if we didn't have the owners we do ? If we did t have a pot to piss in and all it would mean for us was other clubs s with richer owners pushing us further down.

Well that's the point. The rules are being changed, but seems they are changed in order to maintain the position at the top to suit a favoured few 'elite' clubs. Otherwise why the sudden rush to change rules since PIF bought into the PL?

If clubs don't have a pot to piss in, then they shouldn't overspend anyway. That's a stupider approach than preventing those who have money from spending it.

33 minutes ago, madras said:

20 billion ? It's easy to pick an amount other clubs are allowed to spend but have no chance of actually ever having to be able to spend.

You’re just being silly now. Look at F1 where they set a budget cos that was around the amount some of the biggest teams were spending already, and low and behold a few years down the line other teams are catching up. Could set a limit to current top spenders’ outgoings, adjust for inflation and that would work very well. Of course that’s not what the big clubs want, for obvious reasons.

4 hours ago, duo said:

I don't - they've ruined the league

I do think people forget what things were like before but its no less competitive now than it was then its just the same team prevails but before that we weren't even getting title races most of the time. It was Man United or Chelsea, before than Man United or Arsenal, before that Liverpool.

We were third in 2003 and knew we had no chance to go any higher. That's not being said of Arsenal or Liverpool now.

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

You’re just being silly now. Look at F1 where they set a budget cos that was around the amount some of the biggest teams were spending already, and low and behold a few years down the line other teams are catching up. Could set a limit to current top spenders’ outgoings, adjust for inflation and that would work very well. Of course that’s not what the big clubs want, for obvious reasons.

It's already silly. Look at the differences between Chelsea and last seasons Luton.

1 hour ago, Thumbheed said:

Tbf, the main point was that their income was gained in unethical ways rather than the amount they spent. 

More than Abramovich's or even the money spent by the Moores family? Nobody gains the wealth needed to own and finance a football club without being a detestable twat

I honestly couldn't give a fuck about any other club apart from the one I support. I'm more than happy to see the rules changed, as they should be, to resolve the massive injustice of restraint of trade and anti-competition.  It doesn't happen in any other industry where owners can't invest in their own business. Other clubs / businesses are being allowed to bring in rules to deliberately stop PIF from advancing their own business and it's totally corrupt. I can't wait for the day when this injustice is stopped and the rules are forced to align with British law. As I said for the other clubs fuck them, those same clubs have done everything they can to not only hinder our progress, but put it at a grinding halt.

Edited by et tu brute

1 hour ago, et tu brute said:

I honestly couldn't give a fuck about any other club apart from the one I support. I'm more than happy to see the rules changed, as they should be, to resolve the massive injustice of restraint of trade and anti-competition.  It doesn't happen in any other industry where owners can't invest in their own business. Other clubs / businesses are being allowed to bring in rules to deliberately stop PIF from advancing their own business and it's totally corrupt. I can't wait for the day when this injustice is stopped and the rules are forced to align with British law. As I said for the other clubs fuck them, those same clubs have done everything they can to not only hinder our progress, but put it at a grinding halt.

Yep.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this has probably been covered repeatedly but...

'Associated-party’ transaction rules were introduced in December 2021 shortly after the Newcastle United takeover and followed rules previously for ‘fair market value’ in respect of any ‘related-party’ transaction.

City are arguing against the "Associated-party" rules rather than the existing "Related-party" rules, yes? And is the difference that;

Related party = owned by same party (eg. PIF wanting to sponsor NUFC)

Associated party = owned by someone else, but is (or could be) linked to the same party (eg. a company PIF have invested in/have shares in but don't own outright)

??

52 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

If they're dropping billions on Golf and millions on professional wrestling why does anyone think that they're not going to attempt to push NUFC to the top

Because they aren’t allowed to with the restrictions? The money they have is currently irrelevant as we aren’t allowed to spend it.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Because they aren’t allowed to with the restrictions? The money they have is currently irrelevant as we aren’t allowed to spend it.

Yes and no, they could be investing in the stadium and training ground or spending more on short term related party sponsorships but that appears to be all on ice. 

We can’t know either way at this point though, we will see when #wait because reality. 

1 hour ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

If they're dropping billions on Golf and millions on professional wrestling why does anyone think that they're not going to attempt to push NUFC to the top

Because those are two massive global investments and we are a mid-sized football club with minimal global reach other than via the league we play in?

Just now, Keegans Export said:

Because those are two massive global investments and we are a mid-sized football club with minimal global reach other than via the league we play in?

Then why buy us then ?

They could own any football club in the world but chose us.

1 minute ago, Gaztoon said:

Then why buy us then ?

They could own any football club in the world but chose us.

Because we were available for a decent price with a willing seller therefore giving greater opportunity for ROI? It'll be interesting to see how much Everton's sale ends up costing if/when it goes through.

2 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Because we were available for a decent price with a willing seller therefore giving greater opportunity for ROI? It'll be interesting to see how much Everton's sale ends up costing if/when it goes through.

Around 400 million for Everton according to the BBC.

On 15/09/2024 at 14:37, TRon said:

Well that's the point. The rules are being changed, but seems they are changed in order to maintain the position at the top to suit a favoured few 'elite' clubs. Otherwise why the sudden rush to change rules since PIF bought into the PL?

If clubs don't have a pot to piss in, then they shouldn't overspend anyway. That's a stupider approach than preventing those who have money from spending it.

If PSR was designed to be fair, and truly create a sustainable, competitive league, they'd have capped the top 6 in terms of spending until the rest of the league had chance to catch up in terms of commercial revenue. But any talk of imposing limitations on the red cartel and pals is laughable. The PL are shit scared they'll lose them to some breakaway league where their financial status is never threatened.

Unfortunately, we'll keep seeing new rules brought in to protect them, and the powers that be will keep moving the goalposts to keep their golden boys happy. It's a closed shop 

What more do you want them to do? We've signed loads of third party sponsorships since they arrived, we've spent pretty much all we could spend in the transfer windows, they've invested tons of money into the current training ground bringing it up to a decent standard and they've spent tons on SJP while a feasibility study is being carried out to determine what to do with it long term.

This summer alone at SJP we've seen the new Newcastle United sign, a new club shop being constructed and a new Stack fanzone opened, all off the back of the interior getting a facelift previously and whatever other big changes they've made to it. What more can they do with it when a redeveloped SJP or new stadium is their long term solution? The training ground will come as well but these things take ages to sort out, they're not going to update us on the club website with every step but in the meantime, like SJP, they've spent a shit load in improving what's currently there.

I think a bad transfer window has really spooked people but PIF don't control that, they've hired others to do it and we haven't exactly had stability there with Amanda leaving and Mitchell only just coming in, but with the Guehi deal we know the money was still there anyway.

People need to chill out with PIF, they aren't going anywhere and the ambitions will still be the same as day one.

Edited by Decky