Newcastle United 0-2 Liverpool (18/02/2023)

Disco

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Nah sick of the excuses about the home crowd, folk were saying the crowd was nervous against Southampton in the semi.

It’s a myth that St James is a great atmosphere portrayed by the media, the current home support must rank as the most sterile, boring and unimaginative in the country.

The lads from Wor Flags are salt of the earth, but they’re masking what has become an absolutely soulless match day experience.

Do you go to many away matches?

I'm not going to get too het up about Liverpool fans singing YNWA during the Atsu minute, but I do think it's a bit shit. The song is not like a universal song of support or respect, it's a song sung in support of Liverpool (and a few other clubs) - it's their anthem, that's why they sing it when they're winning etc. Atsu has no association with their club. It comes across as sort of egotistical and just distracting to me - inappropriate. I know it wasn't meant as a sign of disrespect though, so that's that.

The mad lapses in defending aside I really do think we need to add better finishers in the summer. We just aren’t clinical enough still and lack a goal threat particularly in big games against the top 6. Isak will get more goals and Wilson will score but we need a genuine goal threat from midfield and a ruthless finisher on the wing. 

Really feel for Pope the bloke will be in bits today. 

6 hours ago, Wolfcastle said:

Its a myth anywhere is a good atmosphere now but somewhere still has to be the best.

Watch other games as critically as you do ours and you'll see that.

TAA today, Graham Potter, Marco Silva and radio Nottinghamshire that I know of have all said otherwise this season alone.

Comparing it to how it was in the 90s is oranges and apples. Compare it to what else is out there now. 

You could apply the same to the football too or the meaningfulness of the league cup now v then if you really want to get depressed or live in the now maybe.

Given what opposition players and managers periodically say about playing at SJP, I do wonder whether the acoustics work better if you are on the pitch/not sitting in a stand. Which would be fab if so; it’s the main point of the noise really. 
Have to say would be tickled ‘crimson’ to hear a bit of banter between stands again: “Sing in the Leazes!…”. Pick of the bunch would be, Platinum Club Ultras: “Sing in the cheap  seats!” 

6 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

The mad lapses in defending aside I really do think we need to add better finishers in the summer. We just aren’t clinical enough still and lack a goal threat particularly in big games against the top 6. Isak will get more goals and Wilson will score but we need a genuine goal threat from midfield and a ruthless finisher on the wing. 

Really feel for Pope the bloke will be in bits today. 

Bruno is very good at finding players in the space between opposing defences and their midfield, and I think in his absence we've lacked that bit of drive from the centre. It's one area where I think Gordon will improve us in the longer term.

Maddison would be a great addition with that in mind, but we won't be the only ones interested this summer.

7 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Given what opposition players and managers periodically say about playing at SJP, I do wonder whether the acoustics work better if you are on the pitch/not sitting in a stand. Which would be fab if so; it’s the main point of the noise really. 
Have to say would be tickled ‘crimson’ to hear a bit of banter between stands again: “Sing in the Leazes!…”. Pick of the bunch would be, Platinum Club Ultras: “Sing in the cheap  seats!” 

For me the atmosphere is always miles better in the Gallowgate vs the Leazes. Whether that’s due to the roof, Strawberry corner etc? Just always feels miles better.

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

For me the atmosphere is always miles better in the Gallowgate vs the Leazes. Whether that’s due to the roof, Strawberry corner etc? Just always feels miles better.

It is. Just in about how the sound travels. Which reminds me, best recent (out of not many attended matches to be fair) experience of atmosphere in the Leazes was right behind the goal in the semi-final. 

1 minute ago, Cronky said:

Bruno is very good at finding players in the space between opposing defences and their midfield, and I think in his absence we've lacked that bit of drive from the centre. It's one area where I think Gordon will improve us in the longer term.

Maddison would be a great addition with that in mind, but we won't be the only ones interested this summer.

Yes Maddison does seem like a good fit but agreed he’ll have plenty of clubs after him so hardly a forgone conclusion he arrives. He’d give us that extra creativity and playing with Bruno we’d really be able to open teams up vs a low block. I love Miggy and it feels weird saying this as he’s scored what 10 goals but I think we can improve in the wing department in terms of finishing.

Main hope pre-match was no red cards or injuries. 

Fucksake.

But fuck it. What’s done is done. 

Going to London with low expectations and just gonna enjoy the weekend whatever the result.

And to anyone moaning about the atmosphere, the Strawberry Corner never stopped chanting. Acoustics are largely to blame for that noise not carrying round the ground. 

Great effort from the lads yesterday but these fans leaving after 80 mins and the thousands gone by full time can fuck off.

Should of all stayed behind and clapped them off ahead of next weeks. Don't want them lot there next week.

Edited by NUFC91

2 hours ago, GWN said:

He's on about home matches FFS, he's correct mind.

Yes I'm aware of that. I'm asking because in comparison with most other home crowds our atmosphere is miles better. Sometimes it takes witnessing other home crowds to appreciate your own.

10 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Great effort from the lads yesterday but these fans leaving after 80 mins and the thousands gone by full time can fuck off.

Should of all stayed behind and clapped them off ahead of next weeks. Don't want them lot there next week.

Wonder how many of those that fucked off have tickets for next week.

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yes I'm aware of that. I'm asking because in comparison with most other home crowds our atmosphere is miles better. Sometimes it takes witnessing other home crowds to appreciate your own.

I go to away matches and I'd strongly agree with him.

Ive heard old Trafford louder for a bog standard 0-0 league game against us, than our Southampton semi final the other week (which was 80 minutes of silence, first and last 5 mins were great).

I'd disagree with the notion that our home support is better than most, hell I'm not sure its in the top 10 in PL tbh in terms of atmosphere. And think there's only Brentford and spurs new ground I've not done.

Edited by TheDimpleboy

Ive done every prem league stadium away and most arent great but ours should be given how much we have inproved.

In fairness to grounds that were shite and have inproved old trafford, emirates etc they introduced safe standing and got lads sat together. That is only way it will inprove without a doubt.

I wonder why we consistently come up in away fans' top home support then. It's usually us or Leeds or Palace at the top.

Context obviously matters as well, I wouldn't say that 0-0 at Old Trafford was standard, it was a good match with loads of chances. Our Southampton match was nervy both off and on the pitch. I doubt anyone who went to Arsenal at home, or Brentford, Villa, Forest, Chelsea etc think we have an atmosphere problem.

It could be better but it's generally much better than the other big stadiums like Anfield, Etihad, Emirates, London Stadium.

Edited by Kid Icarus

I think we’d all be a bit remiss if we didn’t front up to this wobble. I’m worried that we just don’t look like scoring at the moment. Isak doesn’t look ready and Wilson has lost his shooting boots. I think we can all see that Miggys purple patch is well and truly over. Don’t get me wrong I’m absolutely over the moon with how far we have come but there’s a correction needed up top that Howe has to try and solve.

12 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

You'll find utter cunts among any fanbase who will think less of you if you weren't born on the steps of St James's Park and delivered by Derek Wright - but I can promise you the vast VAST majority on here aren't like that at all.

I am derek wrights love child and me nana once chinned Jimmy Nail on Avison street