Newcastle United 0-2 Liverpool (18/02/2023)

Disco

23 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

I think the point he was making, is St James' is generally better than other home support, which you’d appreciate better if you went to away matches.

I think St James' at it's best is, aye. Second half of last season when it was backs against the wall was tremendous. The ground was rocking against arsenal. 

But I think for an 'average' game, St James' probably tends below the mean, as we don't have a proper area where the most vocal supporters congregate. Whereas pretty much every other ground does. Hell Old Trafford and Elland Road have two full stands behind the goal stood all game

Backs to the wall or some sort of injustice is key to the atmosphere, I reckon. 

When we have had control in games or winning this season. That has when it has become a bit flat when I have been or from how it sounds on TV. 

I doubt this is exclusive to SJP, mind. 

A lot of the goal scoring issues really boil down to the depth of squad

last 3 games without Bruno moving the ball in midfield, before that a couple of injuries…it doesn’t take much to knock the team off it’s stride

Hopefully next week with ASM looking lively and Bruno back the team has enough, but really until the squad is deeper there’s no chance of consistent form over a whole season as injuries and suspensions are inevitable 

Our xG was over 2 yesterday even with 10 men and only 0.3 lower than Liverpool's.

We definitely have a finishing issue rather than a chance creation issue imo. Wilson's form especially post World Cup has been a big problem, as he's supposed to be the one you can depend on.

Been to a handful of away games last couple of years, but been everywhere bar Bournemouth over the years.

I’m judging our atmosphere in comparison to Forrest, Leeds, Arsenal, Everton, Villa, Liverpool, Man United to name a few. All better atmosphere’s than SJP currently, it’s a myth Old Trafford has no atmosphere it’s

massively improved in last couple of years with large areas standing and constantly singing throughout the match.

I’m a great believer that the acoustics at SJP is a big factor, but the fact remains all these clubs have large amounts of fans standing all through the game without safe standing and create a constant atmosphere better than anything at SJP this season.

Edited by Whitley mag

just watched the highlights again, good chances for Miggy, Burn, Schar and Wilson, decent effort from Maxi and Isak half chance on the spin. No complaints here and looking forward to the final immensely rather than worrying about it.

3 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Been to a handful of away games last couple of years, but been everywhere bar Bournemouth over the years.

I’m judging our atmosphere in comparison to Forrest, Leeds, Arsenal, Everton, Villa, Liverpool, Man United to name a few. All better atmosphere’s than SJP currently, it’s a myth Old Trafford has no atmosphere it’s

massively improved in last couple of years with large areas standing and constantly singing throughout the match.

I’m a great believer that the acoustics at SJP is a big factor, but the fact remains all these clubs have large amounts of fans standing all through the game without safe standing and create a constant atmosphere better than anything at SJP this season.

I reckon if you spent 5 minutes on a forum of any of those clubs mentioned they’d be saying the same as people on here about it being shite.

4 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

The lack of standing and lads up for it stood together is also to blame for lack of songs. If you have 5k together you would hear likes of below:

We are geordies cock of the north

We hate nottingham forest

Fullwell end

Etc etc.

I think a big factor is we have bunch of fuckwits who think because we sell out this season we got class fans which is embarrassing. Forest, leeds everton villa etc all sell out with little succcess but some of ours fans fucking bum over it....

If club dont introduce safe standing only thing i can see improving is if load of lads get like a fan group and meet at few pubs and walk up to ground together and hope it carrys.

Hoing to away matches being amongst the away fans is not the best place to judge.  Its too self contained. The best noise I heard at an away game was a testimonial at Rangers because it was coming from all sides whilst I've been to Wembley and heard next to nothing from 30,000 opposing fans because of where I was situated.

Just watch games as a neutral and its clear there's no good atmosphere's anywhere by the standards some are expecting.

Also the atmosphere tends to get worse the better you are becuase of the expectancy, it doesn't improve in tune with the club - Man City's s classic case

Ridiculous to say this "the current home support must rank as the most sterile, boring and unimaginative in the country. " when Man City exists, for starters

Edited by Wolfcastle

3 hours ago, NUFC91 said:

The lack of standing and lads up for it stood together is also to blame for lack of songs. If you have 5k together you would hear likes of below:

We are geordies cock of the north

We hate nottingham forest

Fullwell end

Etc etc.

I think a big factor is we have bunch of fuckwits who think because we sell out this season we got class fans which is embarrassing. Forest, leeds everton villa etc all sell out with little succcess but some of ours fans fucking bum over it....

If club dont introduce safe standing only thing i can see improving is if load of lads get like a fan group and meet at few pubs and walk up to ground together and hope it carrys.

Love an airing of 'We hate Nottinghan Forest' . Short but sweet. Altogether now..

I have to say that Trippier’s defensive positions have been suspect since he arrived. He also seems to regularly be the last man playing the attacker on side when the line pushes out. I guess that’s the price you pay for his forward ability

10 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

I have to say that Trippier’s defensive positions have been suspect since he arrived. He also seems to regularly be the last man playing the attacker on side when the line pushes out. I guess that’s the price you pay for his forward ability

His forward ability has been patchy as well since the world cup.

28 minutes ago, OCK said:

ASM was immense and you wouldn't think we were down to 10 players. Liverpool still look like a poor team and have very little beyond clipping it behind the fullback for Salah. 

They weren't great, but even playing badly players like Salah, Nunez and Gakpo showed some firepower we are missing. At this point we are punching, we should recognise it.

Interesting listening to a review of the match from fans with no skin in the game. 

The consensus was that Liverpool scored two brilliant goals and relied on Alisson to keep us out. They're back in the top four race, but they still looks unconvincing. Meanwhile a familiar tale for us, who played well without being able to score.

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Interesting listening to a review of the match from fans with no skin in the game. 

The consensus was that Liverpool scored two brilliant goals and relied on Alisson to keep us out. They're back in the top four race, but they still looks unconvincing. Meanwhile a familiar tale for us, who played well without being able to score.

Watched in the pub with Liverpool supporting mates and two neutral’ish Arsenal and Man U fans. 

As well as the Liverpool fans, the same comments seemed to be mentioned by all. Good goals/poor defending. Better team for the first 20 bar those two moments. Should have scored at least a couple, Liverpool shaky at the back, Toon played well. 

Of course I suppose Liverpool could have stepped it up if they needed to. As even with 11 v 11. It felt like game over the minute the 2nd went in. But for some reason. I still can’t help feeling more positive after that performance and defeat. Than I did after Palace, West Ham and Bournemouth. 

Aye, I was really critical of the defending for the first goal and still think we could have done better, but it's smart play from Liverpool. Robertson holds the width on the far side and Gakpo draws Schar out leaving a gap for Nunez to run into.

Thankfully there aren't too many teams with the quality to execute that kind of move, but we need to be wary of Rashford running into that gap between Trippier and Schar on Sunday.