Newcastle United 0-2 Liverpool (18/02/2023)

Disco

8 minutes ago, Smal said:

Rewatching that first goal. It’s Schar’s fault as much as Trippier’s. Rafa is right that his body position was bad and he was so slow to react. You have to be watching for Nunez in behind.

Could Trippier have done more if he played to the whistle and tried to get a challenge in, not stop to appeal a hand ball that never was?

Hi, I’ve made an account purely because I think this needs to be said.

I am originally from as backwood as you can get in Scotland. However, in 1994 my dad’s sister marries a Georgie and he bought me a kit as a 5 year old and that was that.

Newcastle results have defined my weekend mood for nearly three decades now. I tried to get a season ticket this season but joined 3000th out of a 40000th queue. So now I pay the cost of a ticket every game Individually, plus the cost of transport (and if midweek, a hotel too). I’ve missed 3 games this season at St James, at a cost of well into the thousands already. I also left early today. I had a chance to get a train back to my family half an hour earlier, and given the score and performance, I took it. What I wanted to say is this week I have seen the worst in you lot, complaining about who got tickets for the final and who didn’t, as if it doesn’t come down to luck or simply being able to afford it during a tough time. The performance over tickets from some fans (I can’t go, I have my brother in laws wedding the same weekend) has made me feel so so unwelcome in town as a non local fan, to the point that I feel like I may not come back beyond this season, despite the fact that as a supporter, I probably put in more than effort to be so than the bulk of you.

Actually quite proud of the team tonight. Other than 3 poor moments from us in the game, I thought we were really good. Looked plenty dangerous. Maxi was great. Big Jo was really good. Almiron put in a massive shift. Isak and Maxi seem to have a bit of rapport. Can’t fault the players effort at all.

Pope had a moment of madness but it seems really fucking harsh to miss the final / 3 games for a momentary brain fart. Surely missing 70 mins of a crucial game is enough punishment?

Anyway, on to the final. Win as a team. Lose as a team. It’ll be a fucking glorious day either way!

Just now, Armchair Pundit said:

We've been like it for a while tbh, all the draws and lack of goals since Chrimbo.

We‘ve dominated loads of games and not scored due to poor finishing. Yes, it’s been really frustrating but I’d say poor finishing is probably the easiest thing to accept while your team is still playing well. It was only last week that we actually played genuinely shit 

1 minute ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Turd, it's been coming since Christmas tbh. We certainly showed a bit of spirit, but we've lost all similarity to how we were playing before the World Cup. I really hope we're not being filmed currently for an Amazon series, I guess that could explain at least in part why we've dropped off though (Murphy's law being what it is). I don't want to hear any wanks slating people complaining either, yes we have got a way to go and it's amazing that we're where we are in comparison to previous seasons, well done on pointing that obviousness out. But, we clearly did well for the first half of the season to get us in the position we're in and that's carried us somewhat, we've been shite for a while now, no impetus, no pressing, no operating as much as a unit as we had previously. I think we're probably tired, but I also think it's fair that people feel disappointed in dropping points to teams further down the league who've been shit themselves. We've been treated to a taste of what we can play like when we're driven, and maybe we just haven't got enough players of a high enough calibre throughout the squad to help us last longer in the campaign (should we make European spots that'll only be harder next term!). There's just a nagging fear that we're reverting to type, in ability and luck - I mean, I hope we're not... but the contrast between the confidence the team played with during the first half of the season, compared to the anxious struggling we have now is massive for me.

We don’t have a big enough squad or even good enough players 1-11 for top 4.
We had players performing above their usual level for a long while.

We were over-performing our xG

for a good while, as well.
We have had players half-fit or missing through injury and suspension. 
Other teams have figured us out a bit and have plenty of tape on how we play. 

There are valid reasons/excuses for basically all of what you’ve said. We have basically over-achieved since Leeds away last January or whenever it was. 

Some people just like to moan and look for the negatives. But we’re all different and that’s fine. 

11 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

We've been like it for a while tbh, all the draws and lack of goals since Chrimbo.

We were poor v Bournemouth and for a spell against West Ham but we've been guilty of not being clinical more than anything.

Edited by The Prophet

1 hour ago, LiquidAK said:

I don't see how anyone can say with any certainty the first sentence - he's barely played and is still a bairn. The latter, arguably, but I don't see what difference Gordon makes to how clinical Liverpool have been and Pope's moment of madness.

Come on...we've all seen enough...he's not a bairn anymore. He's not got the swagger and confidence you need at this level. His inclusion upset the balance of the team from the off. His teamates were reluctant to pass to him, because they know he'd do nowt with the ball.

Liverpool cementing their mark as the biggest shit stain cunt club on the planet by singing YNWA during the Atsu applause.

God forbid it not be all about Liverpool Football Club for one sodding minute. Nobody else can be the victims.

Imagine the uproar if our lads belted out Blaydon Races during one of their endless Hillsborough tributes?

Thankfully the noise from our fans almost drowned out the inappropriate singing.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Actually quite proud of the team tonight. Other than 3 poor moments from us in the game, I thought we were really good. Looked plenty dangerous. Maxi was great. Big Jo was really good. Almiron put in a massive shift. Isak and Maxi seem to have a bit of rapport. Can’t fault the players effort at all.

Pope had a moment of madness but it seems really fucking harsh to miss the final / 3 games for a momentary brain fart. Surely missing 70 mins of a crucial game is enough punishment?

Anyway, on to the final. Win as a team. Lose as a team. It’ll be a fucking glorious day either way!

Only the one game. I think/hope!

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

We don’t have a big enough squad or even good enough players 1-11 for top 4.
We had players performing above their usual level for a long while.

We were over-performing our xG

for a good while, as well.
We have had players half-fit or missing through injury and suspension. 
Other teams have figured us out a bit and have plenty of tape on how we play. 

There are valid reasons/excuses for basically all of what you’ve said. We have basically over-achieved since Leeds away last January or whenever it was. 

Some people just like to moan and look for the negatives. But we’re all different and that’s fine. 

We will adapt and evolve. Expect something fresh next week..

Miggy has to score that chance very early on at 0-0. Massive massive opportunity. First 5 or 10 minutes we looked brilliant, their goal came out of nothing and then after that it was over. 

Really wanted to see how Anderson played and unfortunately for him he had to make way. 

Never been comfortable Pope coming so far off his line, he's made some excellent clearances but it felt it was only a matter of time that he brought someone down or handballed it. 

We played very well with 10 men though, still not convinced with Liverpool, we handed it to them and Salah was shite. 

Edited by Scotty66

5 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Could Trippier have done more if he played to the whistle and tried to get a challenge in, not stop to appeal a hand ball that never was?

Yeah definitely. They were both at fault.

I reckon Howe is fuming with Trippier.

5 minutes ago, Leithtoon said:

I am originally from as backwood as you can get in Scotland. However, in 1994 my dad’s sister marries a Georgie and he bought me a kit as a 5 year old and that was that.

Newcastle results have defined my weekend mood for nearly three decades now. I tried to get a season ticket this season but joined 3000th out of a 40000th queue. So now I pay the cost of a ticket every game Individually, plus the cost of transport (and if midweek, a hotel too). I’ve missed 3 games this season at St James, at a cost of well into the thousands already. I also left early today. I had a chance to get a train back to my family half an hour earlier, and given the score and performance, I took it. What I wanted to say is this week I have seen the worst in you lot, complaining about who got tickets for the final and who didn’t, as if it doesn’t come down to luck or simply being able to afford it during a tough time. The performance over tickets from some fans (I can’t go, I have my brother in laws wedding the same weekend) has made me feel so so unwelcome in town as a non local fan, to the point that I feel like I may not come back beyond this season, despite the fact that as a supporter, I probably put in more than effort to be so than the bulk of you.

:ructions:

4 minutes ago, Leithtoon said:

If you're willing to jack it in because of that after the shit we've been through :lol:

2 minutes ago, Jinky said:

Come on...we've all seen enough...he's not a bairn anymore. He's not got the swagger and confidence you need at this level. His inclusion upset the balance of the team from the off. His teamates were reluctant to pass to him, because they know he'd do nowt with the ball.

He’s had half a season in the top flight occasionally coming off the bench. If you’ve made up your mind on him then that’s up to you, I’m not writing the lad off

4 minutes ago, Leithtoon said:

Well, welcome to the forum if nothing else  :tino:

7 minutes ago, Leithtoon said:

Ach away you go man

Unless the chaos God of football has decided that this is all part of Karius's redemption arc, that was nightmareish and baffling. Trippier twice fucking up our line, Pope doing the only thing he couldn't do and severely weakening us for the final, Liverpool still being poor at the back but Burn and Schär being 50 pence heads, and Wilson shooting with all the conviction of a hangover fart. For some reason it's made my lass's dad more convinced than ever that we're going to win next week. :lol: 

Pope: 2 Dubravka: 6

Trippier: 4

Schär: 6

Botman: 5.5

Burn: 6

Longstaff: 5.5

Joelinton: 6

Almiron: 6

Isak: 6.5

ASM: 7

Wilson: 5

Gordon: 5.5

Murphy: 6

Edited by Kid Icarus

8 minutes ago, Leithtoon said:

Who exactly is this aimed at? Who's made you feel unwelcome in Newcastle?