Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

13 minutes ago, 54 said:

This is hyperbole at it finest like fuck did we fall "well short".

That's just you being a massive contrarian as per.

I also thought the better side won and it was a pretty straightforward win for Man Utd tbh.  That’s as comfortable a cup final win as you’re likely to see.  

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m talking about media and pundits, lazy of them if that’s the case, the guy has been one of the best midfielders in world football the last ten years 

Fair enough :thup: thought you meant just fans in general

16 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

I think people are well aware of this and our lack of quality in certain positions.

People are understandably going to be raw/upset, can you not just leave the I told you so nonsense for a day at least, as you're coming across as a bit of a cunt in all honesty.

As are you, spending the past few weeks telling everyone they’ve got no right to be critical of the transfer window. Allow people their correct opinions without getting personal.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He's been widely regarded as the best centre defensive mid in the world for about half a decade man [emoji38]

What you on about ? I know he has, but the media and pundits over here are acting shocked when he plays to this level.

Fact is they let us have the majority of possession and knew they could get us in trouble on the counter. Teams have been doing this for a while now. We don’t quite know what to do when teams are sitting back

Individually some of the players regarded as our best, they haven’t been performing well for a while. Trippier has an obvious weakness in terms of raw pace now, but he’s making mistakes which are exposing this more now. Wilson has lost something.. not much of a threat anymore. Almiron had his hot streak.. not adding loads at this point.

But just generally we were all huff and puff without much quality. It’s disappointing, can’t blame the players for effort.. it’s all there! I think a few tweaks, and we have to approach the summer window with a total lack of sentimentality. The manager has some tough calls to make if we’re to kick on.

10 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

We barely threatened them to be fair. They never once looked nervous at the back. They managed the game really well given they'd be knacked from their Barca effort. They had enough to change the game and bring pace off the bench if they needed it. 

We may have looked the better team to some but that was by design, they wanted to us to go at them and dominate the possession as they sat back and waited for counter opportunities. 

It was like watching a vastly superior boxer ahead on points after nine rounds just jabbing and not risking an unlucky KO.  They made it look easy.  We’ll get there :) 

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

?

Thought he looked like the most likely out of our starting front 3 to do something positive. Unlucky not to score at 0-0. Wilson and Almirón in comparison were feeble imo. 

ASM is a much easier target than Wilson. We’re historically more critical of maverick French wingers than strikers who don’t score. Unsure why.

1 minute ago, B-more Mag said:

[emoji38] I think a modest bit of disappointment probably isn’t throw-yourself-in-the-sea-worthy. 

I will accept being disappointed, but please don't make out like we're absolutely shite.

The lads have done us proud.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

What you on about ? I know he has, but the media and pundits over here are acting shocked when he plays to this level.

Fair enough I don't really watch live UK tele much so they may be massively out of the loop, but you never mentioned them in your original post at all so I'm not sure why you're puffing your chest out here like [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

?

Thought he looked like the most likely out of our starting front 3 to do something positive. Unlucky not to score at 0-0. Wilson and Almirón in comparison were feeble imo. 

Once.

If any of those are starters this time next season I’d be shocked

Need to use this disappointment as fuel to push on. Let's make fourth ours and get the Champion's League place.

Schar needs to be upgraded on this summer as does Miggy and Burn can't be the left back any longer. All three are still good squad options however. As for Wilson, barring a positive turnaround as dramatic as his recent decline he needs dropping and we need to be starting Isak and giving him as much game time as possible to get him used to this league ready to hit the ground running next season. 

Well fuck. I’m pretty hardened to this now I think. Tbh I’m more annoyed that it’s those bastards than the loss itself. Anyway, I have faith we are on the right path as a club and we will get other chances. This is painful but not as painful as the past decade or so of Ashley where there was no joy to be had in this club. Just put me lad to bed there and I told him that winning is great but even better than winning is being able to share this club with him.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Agreed. 

I think a part of it is some signings from Madrid have been disappointing in recent seasons. Di Maria has gone onto be a key man for Argentina, scoring in the biggest finals in world football but he was a flop at Man Utd. Varane had a poor first season (but is showing levels this season). Many thought he would be the same. But instead he’s played like a the multiple la liga winner, 4x champions league winner that he is.  

But he was definitely under rated. I’ve heard pundits act like it was Modric and Kroos and Casemiro was an afterthought. No. He was a main man and in recent years he’s been better and more integral than Kroos. 

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

Fair enough I don't really watch live UK tele much so they may be massively out of the loop, but you never mentioned them in your original post at all so I'm not sure why you're puffing your chest out here like [emoji38]

I’ll be honest just looks like you’re trying to start and argument for no reason, puffing my chest out ? 

3 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

Casemiro will get the praise but I thought AWB shut down our left side in the second half, which was the most threatening side all game. 

Winners get to write history. But AWB should’ve started. Outside of ASM and the Trips / Miggy combo we don’t have any threat from open play. AWB was always likely to have ASMs number. 

Thought ASM was decent today - obviously with the exception of the occasion he fluffed the ball and it went out for a GK.

There are other upgrades we need to be making far more important than replacing him to be honest anyway.

As mentioned in weeks previous, it does not help having to play with Burn on that flank as his partner attacking back up.

Edited by Amir_9

I have honestly no fucking idea where our goals ever come from. 

I don’t get excited with corners like every other teams fans would. Running towards goal and I’m still not overcome with anticipation.

We are solid as a rock at the back. More or less.

We are mint in the middle. But breaking teams down and popping goals in just doesn’t look possible.

My 8yr old is gutted. I’m ok. I am just hoping Man City don’t rip our arses open Saturday afternoon

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Agreed. 

I think a part of it is some signings from Madrid have been disappointing in recent seasons. Di Maria has gone onto be a key man for Argentina, scoring in the biggest finals in world football but he was a flop at Man Utd. Varane had a poor first season (but is showing levels this season). Many thought he would be the same. But instead he’s played like a the multiple la liga winner, 4x champions league winner that he is.  

But he was definitely under rated. I’ve heard pundits act like it was Modric and Kroos and Casemiro was an afterthought. No. He was a main man and in recent years he’s been better and more integral than Kroos. 

Peak kroos was an absolutely phenomenal player. He was incredibly good