Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

Just now, Stuy_O said:

Been following the club for nearly 30 years and that was the most amazing rush iv ever felt. Was incredible. Not the result we wanted, but this is what being proud of your club feels like. Absolutely class. 

Nailed it.

This time though we know its not going to too long until the next one 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

So what was unlucky?

Their GK pulled off a great save.  He has world class reflexes. Ours was a fraction too slow for the second. The deflection was lucky but DDG probably saves it anyway. Just the gap in quality. 

Most set piece goals are lucky, it’s just the way it is.

4 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

Maddison would have been so useful in a game like today. Really hope we get him in the summer 

He’d have been sat with Gordon if we signed him in Jan, mind.  Though getting an attacking MF in the summer is likely to be high on the list.

The issue is that there are a few positions where that can be said - which is why this isn’t going to be a quick rebuild

10 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

This is a bit myopic imo. And it doesn't help your position for you to declare that your opinion is correct. You and many others were absolutely dead wrong about Howe back in early 22.

At no point did I write off Howe. Happy to admit he’s been a lot better than I thought and has my total respect for the job he’s done.

Heartbroken. But I want to get used to these occasions.

Can’t really fault much in our performance. Burn isn’t quite up to standard and Wilson is completely lost. Still proud of everyone of them. And the support today. Man alive. On to the next one.

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

Agree to disagree :thup:

Apart from that AMS chance in the first half we created nowt. That's not good enough.

We played well without a goal threat.  Now do you understand?  Your'e obviously disappointed with the result but realistically we are still 3 three years away from Man Utd.  What I am saying is on the day we more than matched them which is incredible.  Look at the stats.  Please dont come back with they scored two more goals than us.

2 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

I’m not sure..

No, wait 

Nah, just  :lol:

Nah fuck that man, I know what you're getting at, but it'd weighing it up, Wembley is a fucking shit hole and getting back after the match is a nightmare, you're talking at least 90 mins to get back to KX if youre lucky, worth it If you've won of course, but when it's game over its weighing up if jt is.

I've given so much support and money to this club over the past 20 years Nd travelled all over so I don't feel guilty leaving 10 minutes early myself  

Just now, Rod said:

We played well without a goal threat.  Now do you understand?  Your'e obviously disappointed with the result but realistically we are still 3 three years away from Man Utd.  What I am saying is on the day we more than matched them which is incredible.  Look at the stats.  Please dont come back with they scored two more goals than us.

A tired Man Utd sitting back and watching us ineffectually knock the ball around might just skew some of the possession statistics.  They looked more dangerous than us second half via their counterattacks.  They played Barcelona a couple of days ago, yet somehow looked fresher first half.  If we scored, they’d have stepped back up a gear. 

4 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

That’s kind of the point I was making. We did alright possession-wise but did nothing threatening for 95 minutes. Man Utd had hardly any of the ball, scored twice and soaked up whatever we had to offer. As I said, a tactical lesson. 
Having the ball and doing nothing with it isn’t “playing well”

Game sums up the season for me. Plenty of effort, plenty of pressure decent moments in the final third. Half-chances created but not taken, no genuine chances where we really opened them up, shots were blocked, saved, blazed over or scuffed wide. They on the other hand went forward a few times and looked dangerous virtually each time. Good quality into the box and a free header. 3 good passes and they've opened us up and it's 2. And from then on they looked in control of the game. We tried hard but they're better than us in lots of key positions and saw the game out like we were doing in October.

Fans were superb but Wembley is a place for winners and their fans will go back smiling tonight, it happens and I'll take it on the chin but I'm sick of coming up short. I'll take the praise from neutrals but I'd rather beat teams like that and win things and we're still well short. Trophies >>>>> (patronising) praise. 

It'll come with time and we'll be back soon

2 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

I actually think Big Joe can be an asset over the next few years. If we get a more technical player in alongside him and Bruno I think we'll be fine.

He's too much of disruptance to not be useful. The problem (imo) is that we have him, Longstaff, Almiron, and Willock all in the same side most of the time.

They all bring a lot individually (and in pairs) but as a team it's obviously lacking in quality on the ball. We only really have Bruno, Isak and Maxi who are actually dangerous.

4 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

That’s kind of the point I was making. We did alright possession-wise but did nothing threatening for 95 minutes. Man Utd had hardly any of the ball, scored twice and soaked up whatever we had to offer. As I said, a tactical lesson. 
Having the ball and doing nothing with it isn’t “playing well”

Did you think Man Utd created loads of chances?  Because if they did then I missed them.  A great set piece header and a fluke goal.  That's what I witnessed.

2 minutes ago, Rod said:

I think we watch football differently and that's fair enough:thup: They barely had to get out of second gear. They were so comfortable.

3 minutes ago, NUFCDoog said:

Nah fuck that man, I know what you're getting at, but it'd weighing it up, Wembley is a fucking shit hole and getting back after the match is a nightmare, you're talking at least 90 mins to get back to KX if youre lucky, worth it If you've won of course, but when it's game over its weighing up if jt is.

I've given so much support and money to this club over the past 20 years Nd travelled all over so I don't feel guilty leaving 10 minutes early myself  

Missing the whole point.

I gave decades and was at the late 90’s etc finals/semis. 

1 minute ago, The Butcher said:

I think we watch football differently and that's fair enough:thup: They barely had to get out of second gear. They were so comfortable.

So wrong.  You are obviously hurting.

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

At no point did I write off Howe. Happy to admit he’s been a lot better than I thought and has my total respect for the job he’s done.

Sure sounded like it, man. Yeah you were more sanguine and reasonable than some of the others, but you were calling for Rafa fairly constantly. The point is that given that so much of this shit is subjective, you don't have to go on trumpeting that your opinion is correct. As I said, I have a lot of time for you, but that shit is a bit much.

We just weren't good enough in the end, no fault on the players, they gave their all, but the signings Man U have made this season made a huge difference. Varane and Martinez were outstanding at the back, which Henry Winter did predict btw, and Casimero....fair play @Froggy I took the piss when you splurged £60m on a 31 year old, but what a player.

2 minutes ago, midds said:

Game sums up the season for me. Plenty of effort, plenty of pressure decent moments in the final third. Half-chances created but not taken, no genuine chances where we really opened them up, shots were blocked, saved, blazed over or scuffed wide. They on the other hand went forward a few times and looked dangerous virtually each time. Good quality into the box and a free header. 3 good passes and they've opened us up and it's 2. And from then on they looked in control of the game. We tried hard but they're better than us in lots of key positions and saw the game out like we were doing in October.

Fans were superb but Wembley is a place for winners and their fans will go back smiling tonight, it happens and I'll take it on the chin but I'm sick of coming up short. I'll take the praise from neutrals but I'd rather beat teams like that and win things and we're still well short. Trophies >>>>> (patronising) praise. 

It'll come with time and we'll be back soon

Bit harsh, we opened plenty of teams up in the first half of the season, strength in depth is our problem which we’ll sort out.

Just now, Vinny Green Balls said:

Sure sounded like it, man. Yeah you were more sanguine and reasonable than some of the others, but you were calling for Rafa fairly constantly. The point is that given that so much of this shit is subjective, you don't have to go on trumpeting that your opinion is correct. As I said, I have a lot of time for you, but that shit is a bit much.

Happy to admit I absolutely adored Rafa like any fan with half of brain would but I didn’t write off Howe. As I said, I think he’s done a top job.