Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

Disappointed but not too dejected from that. 

We’ve got a few players that aren’t really top standard and it showed. I thought Joelinton and Bruno were brilliant. Our wingers didn’t produce enough, Miggy particularly completely ineffectual. ASM asked questions but AWB in particular answered them. 

I think the Wilson or Isak debate has an answer now. One looks on the upward trajectory whereas the other is on the way down. 

I thought the subs were decent. Murphy was unlucky, not sure how that curled wide. 

Man U looked better than us. I don’t agree they didn’t work for it because there organisation, pressing and desire to win every ball was really top standard. They were just better. 

Hopefully we don’t have to wait so long to the next one. We need to make sure we push on and secure a European place. 

While I'm deflated, this club, this team and this city is on the up, I have no doubts that the players and staff have given everything in that 90 minutes, it just so happens they have multiple world cup and champions League winners, who have had these experiences, we're just not there yet, but we will be. 

I'm proud of this club, of each and everyone of them players, of our manager, and to be a Newcastle fan, and we'll have better days, I have no doubt about that.

Howay the fucking lads.

Have to.say, well done Murphy for having two shots on goal in his short time on the pitch. Don't know what the fuck is going on with our policy but we are fucking scared to have a pop on goal from distance now. Almiron was scoring from all sort of angles earlier this season, ASM would have a try at goal, not anymore.

I dont like that we dont have a plan b. Trippiers free kicks have been bad for months now, and he keeps taking them. In the first half of the season we had variation on them, now it looks like we’re just flosting them in. 

we need to get that creative spark back, atm I cant see that happening.. 

Every cell in my body thought it would turn out like this, but I hoped that I was wrong. There's going to be many more days like this and we will have better players. I would have been devastated by this result, but I know what is to come. Fans were fucking excellent because they have the same optimism. Let's ensure European football now lads!

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, agreed on all points.  I’m afraid that the tactics used by lesser teams when used by Man Utd are going to work to perfection.  We can’t break down Leeds, Palace, Bournemouth etc when they do it.  For Man Utd they didn’t have to break a sweat second half - the were comfortably the better side. 

They had a couple of breakaway plays that both 100% should have scored. Could have been 4-0. I gave too much stick to Karious in the first half. He acquitted himself well overall.

Edited by McDog

Proud of this team, overwhelmed by how amazing our support was. What a club we have here. We'll be back. This is disappointing, but not as gutting as it would have been had we fluked here under Ashley. Because we would have known then it would have never happened again. We know now this is the start of an upward trajectory. Up the fucking mags.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

While I'm deflated, this club, this team and this city is on the up, I have no doubts that the players and staff have given everything in that 90 minutes, it just so happens they have multiple world cup and champions League winners, who have had these experiences, we're just not there yet, but we will be. 

I'm proud of this club, of each and everyone of them players, of our manager, and to be a Newcastle fan, and we'll have better days, I have no doubt about that.

Howay the fucking lads.

This, so much this.

Disappointing. We needed our big players to step up, Wilson, Trippier and Bruno, and they didn't. Wilson was invisible, Trippier's delivery was very poor, and Bruno gave away a silly one for their opener with Trippier right next to him.

A bit vexing that we couldn't put in a decent corner, with the height advantage we have. I thought Man U looked beatable today, but we made it easy for them.

Their first looked borderline offside, but whatever. They'd have found a way to score before we did.

Just now, Begbie said:

I dont like that we dont have a plan b. Trippiers free kicks have been bad for months now, and he keeps taking them. In the first half of the season we had variation on them, now it looks like we’re just flosting them in. 

we need to get that creative spark back, atm I cant see that happening.. 

Ritchie’s FK in stoppage time was the closest we came to a goal from a FK.  Says it all.