Newcastle United 0-2 Manchester United (26/02/2023)

Disco

20 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

In the past year Newcastle have spent about the same as Man Utd, but they were starting from a top 6 club and we were starting rock bottom in the PL.

Its no surprise they have better depth.

They lost Eriksen and bring in a Brazil starting international. Whereas when Bruno got suspended and it was bare bones. Deep in the season this matters.

Be another few transfer windows to get close 

Just checked on that transfermarkt website and since the start of last season, they have spent about €115m more it seems in transfer fees and recouped less. Our spend was €270 and there's was €385 according to that site. 

As you say, with a much stronger starting position aswell and not to mention there will be a vast difference in terms of wages also. Helps to pick up players like Erikson on a free and Sabitzer on loan.

So yeah we have a way to go to catch up as you said.

Currently we need to be on top form and have all of of our key players available to compete with the teams we want to be long term. 

Yesterday we had neither. We had out of form players (Wilson, Almiron etc) and players missing like Pope and half fit Willock and dare say Targett would be first choice left back once health again.

Edited by alexf

Howe was spot on in his assessment.  Good between both boxes.

We were not ruthless enough and didn't really create much.  Then two bits of slack defending has cost us.  

Not really sure how I feel today.  To get there was amazing.  The build up to it all, the day out, being lucky enough to be there.  I feel positive for the future and I don't think we played badly or anything.  It is just difficult to get to a cup final.  Finally getting to one and being so close to success, but still so far.  It's just a bit shit. 

It makes you think when the next one might come.  I certainly hope we're not waiting another 23 years :lol: 

Just to weigh in on the 'our fans were shit/great' debate.  I was in Club Wembley in our end behind the goal.  Supposedly 'neutral' and there were 4-5 mancs the row behind (who were actually sound TBF and I spoke to them at the end).  But even in there, the chants got going a bit.  It was only really flat after their second goal.  Felt like it was pretty decent other than that. 

It actually got silly loud at times and was a struggle to even hear what the chant was, or we had different areas, singing different songs.  Might just be because they were the other end, so you could hear it clearer.  But it seemed like their songs were a bit more coordinated and so carried quite well.   

It’s obvious people expect different things regarding the atmosphere. Would suggest waiting a few weeks to approach the club regarding improving things though as they’d probably think you’re fucking bonkers if did it today.

9 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Howe was spot on in his assessment.  Good between both boxes.

We were not ruthless enough and didn't really create much.  Then two bits of slack defending has cost us.  

Not really sure how I feel today.  To get there was amazing.  The build up to it all, the day out, being lucky enough to be there.  I feel positive for the future and I don't think we played badly or anything.  It is just difficult to get to a cup final.  Finally getting to one and being so close to success, but still so far.  It's just a bit shit. 

It makes you think when the next one might come.  I certainly hope we're not waiting another 23 years :lol: 

Just to weigh in on the 'our fans were shit/great' debate.  I was in Club Wembley in our end behind the goal.  Supposedly 'neutral' and there were 4-5 mancs the row behind (who were actually sound TBF and I spoke to them at the end).  But even in there, the chants got going a bit.  It was only really flat after their second goal.  Felt like it was pretty decent other than that. 

It actually got silly loud at times and was a struggle to even hear what the chant was, or we had different areas, singing different songs.  Might just be because they were the other end, so you could hear it clearer.  But it seemed like their songs were a bit more coordinated and so carried quite well.   

I must have been near you mate ended up getting a ticket in section 241, was brilliant when chants started going up in the lioness bar or whatever it was called before the match. Very nice in there even though the wallets a lot lighter this morning. Was surprised by how few mancs there were in club Wembley, we certainly had massive numbers down felt like a home game in there.

28 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Well I’ve been down here since Thursday and have found it heartwarming seeing our fans absolutely everywhere. Every street, pub, station they couldn’t be avoided. Took until Saturday evening until I stumbled across one Man Utd fan and as always singing about Shearer 🙂 Took until an hour before KO before them to start appearing in small numbers on underground heading towards Wembley Park. Seem to recall it being the same in 99. Always found it a bit baffling. 

As for the game however apart from pre match build up and final minutes of defiance our lot were very poor on the day. I was in the safe standing as hoped to be beside likeminded fans but it was flat as a fart to the point I turned on everyone around questioning if this was the East Stand. From previous experiences I knew unless we scored early there probably wouldn’t be much chanting as the occasion tends to be more nervous once the game kicks off than for the players. I appreciate the team didn’t give them loads to shout about but still all things considered possibly the worst away game I’ve done in all my years from an atmosphere point of view. I’ll be kind and suggest maybe our lot partied too hard for 48hrs and the hangovers were kicking in 🙂

Performance sadly was exactly as I expected. Regardless of league position we are playing the best/hardest team in the country “in this moment” and a team that matches up well against what we are good at and to add to the mix we are “out of our moment”. Just hoping I’m wrong in my fears that the season drops off both on and off the pitch if Bruno is out again and Willock clearly not fit. My hope is we now have a simple focus with no distractions like others. Gordon will be eligible now and I’m hoping Isak might replace Longstaff in certain games after a bright cameo in a deeper position to what we’ve seen him in previous. Both these changes if made I’m hoping will make us less predictable as I do fear we’ve become that these last two month.

Hope all those who travelled from far and wide had a great time back in Newcastle regardless. Back Tuesday myself so hoping it’s still in one piece 🙂

HTL

Thank fuck for this post. I’ve been questioning my sanity since the match ended, just couldn’t believe what I’d been a part of in the one place in the stands where the atmosphere should have been generated. Haven’t felt that alienated since the SP days, honestly.

The whole Wembley “experience” once through the turnstiles was pretty shocking, mind. Waited 45 minutes for a pint around 90 minutes before k/o. It was like they weren’t expecting there to be a demand for a beer. :lol:

Re atmosphere debate. I thought it came across alot better on TV when watched it back this morning than when I was there pissed up. Was times in block 134 2-0 trying to get fans going people look at you funny. I do think so many just there to get a pic these days. Its a tough one Wembley as different parts stadium are singing different songs etc. 

In regards to those sitting in the top tier that was fucking embarrassing, absolute cringy as it comes but reality is we will have people who supported us for 2 years getting match tickets.

What doesnt probably help is we never had a sniff really or a "good patch". If we would of scored just one it would of been different conversation.  like to see Targett and Gordon come in v City.

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Our end did have a feel of day trippers yesterday, which considering it was season ticket holders in the main is worrying.

But doesn't that reflect exactly what people have been saying for a number of years about the change in the nature of our home crowd during the Fat Mike era?

Edit: I see Wandy's addressed this.

Edited by DahnSahf
Catching up.

5 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I must have been near you mate ended up getting a ticket in section 241, was brilliant when chants started going up in the lioness bar or whatever it was called before the match. Very nice in there even though the wallets a lot lighter this morning. Was surprised by how few mancs there were in club Wembley, we certainly had massive numbers down felt like a home game in there.

Aye!  Block 242 I was in and was also in that bar before the game.  Certainly did seem like there was a lot more black and white in Wembley and everywhere else, really. 

Even around Baker Street later on.  It was all Toon fans.  

Bruno ranked 1st in nearly every conceivable metric, and is playing next to an academy graduate who wouldn’t start for the majority of big teams , and a converted striker. Elevating a team that was near relegation, and as well as the constant defensive turnovers he gets, he actually scores and assists, and always plays progressive balls. Even without the stats, the eye test is enough to tell you. He absolutely is world class. 

Put him in that Man United team and he’d look incredible. It’s a far harder job to come into a team with about 2 players who are anywhere near your level. Tite being a complete dunce of a manager doesn’t alter that fact. He played Paqueta as a holding mid. The guy is a clown 

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

The whole Wembley “experience” once through the turnstiles was pretty shocking, mind. Waited 45 minutes for a pint around 90 minutes before k/o. It was like they weren’t expecting there to be a demand for a beer. :lol:

Can relate to that.  So many bars in the Club Wembley area.  Yet they have agency staff on who probably don't get much in the way of training and there wasn't even enough of them working.  Some of the pop up type bars had one person serving FFS :lol: 

last I’ll say on this because I don’t want to be a broken record. but people think it’s enough to turn up and wave a flag for a few minutes. our support has stopped being support and it’s turned into a spectacle. yes it looks brilliant and it’s great for the players to walk out to, but our work as supporters doesn’t just stop there.

it’s astonishing to me because we’ve seen first hand (last season) what getting behind the team during the match does. it unquestionably helps the lads and is detrimental to the opposition. people won’t want to hear it, and it’s heartbreaking to say, but we let them down yesterday.

Just paid £7.25 for a pint of Camden Hells. Begrudgingly paid it, although the bloke after me offered some Geordie incredulity when he bought his of "Eh? Has it got fucking gerld dust in it?" refused to pay and fucked off to Wetherspoons. 

At least I didn't pay two grand to Nike Ranger or someone for my match ticket, imagine how sick those lot must feel. 

14 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

The atmosphere was bizarre. I was proud of the defiant flag waving at the end - but generally, the noise was poor. I’m too hungover and tired to formulate a full response right now. 

Anymore word on the cunt who ripped you off

Time to name and shame a reckon

5 minutes ago, Big River said:

last I’ll say on this because I don’t want to be a broken record. but people think it’s enough to turn up and wave a flag for a few minutes. our support has stopped being support and it’s turned into a spectacle. yes it looks brilliant and it’s great for the players to walk out to, but our work as supporters doesn’t just stop there.

it’s astonishing to me because we’ve seen first hand (last season) what getting behind the team during the match does. it unquestionably helps the lads and is detrimental to the opposition. people won’t want to hear it, and it’s heartbreaking to say, but we let them down yesterday.

A think this is to do with the only mistake the club made with sticking alot of season tickets on general sale...you could almost have 8k who had been to St james twice...its the sitting down that gets me yesterday...fucking sad

Man United have the third most expensive team in the league so it’s not realistic to think we can go toe to toe with them, we have to play above our level and they need to play blow theirs. Personally thought bringing in AWB at HT was the best thing they did, and he played out of his skin. Tough to take but that’s how it is. We don’t have any subs like that