Manchester City vs. Newcastle United: 04/03/23 @ 12:30 (BT Sport)

HaydnNUFC

4 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Wilson makes sense away to Man City like, Isak would likely be completely bullied out of the game.

Like he was at Anfield?

Wilson has been poor in all aspects of his game since the World Cup, even in cameos Isak has shown more.

2 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Wilson was bullied out of the game last week by a pocket sized dinky centre back, I'd at least give Isak a shot 

2 different sides, we saw a lot of the ball against Man Utd and they were organised defensively. Man City will dominate possession and try to pin us in, Wilson isn’t a target man but he’s a much better outlet to hit than Isak. 

I don't want to think that we've spent £60m on a striker only to play someone who looks like he's been out of it since the WC. Considering we only really have two strikers, there must be something on with Isak that he's had to be super cautious about him.

Edited by mikejaxer

Not an exciting line up, but can see the logic behind it, Almiron will give more defensive cover, Wilson more of a target up top then Isak who looks better picking the ball up deeper.

Biggest concern is the lack of Schar and having Lascelles on in his place, but considering how little Lascelles has played this season, I'm assuming there's a valid reason that he's been picked to start.

Going to be a tough game no matter what

That city line up looks so strong. 

I think the reason I'd want Isak and ASM was just to offer something of a threat.

Attack the best form of defense type thing. But maybe Howe is right we will need to run our bollocks off just to stay in this game and perhaps fresh legs 2nd half if we are still in the game could be the tactic. 

Just now, wiseman said:

Not an exciting line up, but can see the logic behind it, Almiron will give more defensive cover, Wilson more of a target up top then Isak who looks better picking the ball up deeper.

Biggest concern is the lack of Schar and having Lascelles on in his place, but considering how little Lascelles has played this season, I'm assuming there's a valid reason that he's been picked to start.

Going to be a tough game no matter what

Assume Schar’s not fit. 

Honestly, I don't think it's a bad lineup considering the opponents. 

Gordon and Miggy will be pressing with high energy. This isn't the game for ASM, who I think would be frustrating, if he started. Maybe against tired legs he can come on as a sub and contribute.

Wilson might be out of form, but I think he's just a bit tougher than Isak and obviously more experienced against City. 

Lascelles is a straight swap, we'll see how he gets on.

I'm relatively confident, tbh. Wouldn't be surprised if we nicked a result, but expect a draw, or a loss by a small margin.

Watch it be 5-0 now I've said that.

1 minute ago, GWN said:

Folk thinking we can attack today [emoji38]

It's our best chance against them. Our issue recently has been that teams have realised we struggle to break down teams that sit back and hit us on the counter, even Man U did that to us, Man City won't. But, they're used to teams sitting back against them, they tend to struggle more with teams that take the game to them (although that can also result in those teams getting hammered).

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Like he was at Anfield?

Wilson has been poor in all aspects of his game since the World Cup, even in cameos Isak has shown more.

Isak has been bullied out of numerous games in limited starts man.

I’m not defending Wilson, it’s just canny obvious why Howe would prefer him.

2 minutes ago, Mister_Glass said:

Honestly, I don't think it's a bad lineup considering the opponents. 

Gordon and Miggy will be pressing with high energy. This isn't the game for ASM, who I think would be frustrating, if he started. Maybe against tired legs he can come on as a sub and contribute.

Wilson might be out of form, but I think he's just a bit tougher than Isak and obviously more experienced against City. 

Lascelles is a straight swap, we'll see how he gets on.

I'm relatively confident, tbh. Wouldn't be surprised if we nicked a result, but expect a draw, or a loss by a small margin.

Watch it be 5-0 now I've said that.

The only issue I have with the lineup is I'd prefer to see Isak start. The rest is fine.

Schar’s injured and the attackers are picked to run and defend. Think that basically explains the lineup. 

Isak is a question but I guess he just thinks getting the best out of him requires a change in approach that we can’t introduce in this particular game. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Wilson over Isak is the only decision I'm properly annoyed with tbh.

Think Almiron and Gordon on the wings and then that midfield trio is going to maximise our ability to defend from the front with the press.

Definitely seems unfair on ASM given he's looked alright the last couple of games while Miggy has been poor but ultimately we're just going to have to accept that when push comes to shove Maxi isn't what Howe wants in a player. Hopefully he can be a valuable contributor over the next few months and then we can get good money for him and use it to buy someone that fits in better with our philosophy.

1 minute ago, Big River said:

what the fuck does Isak need to do to get a start? :lol:

persisting with an out of form, ageing Wilson is incredibly frustrating. Isak is the future, he needs starts.

Starting to wonder why we bought him. We don't seem to play a system that suits him and he's never going to fit that system if he doesn't start.

Seem to remember one criticism Bournemouth fans had of Howe was that he was sometimes too loyal to players even when they were out of form and not playing well, seems the same is happening now with Wilson.

Just now, Geordie Ahmed said:

I think unless Wilson plays really well then Isak will start next week 

Harder game to start next week for Isak with wolves having 11 men behind the ball. This was an ideal game to start him imo.