Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

57 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Hmm 2pm kick off playing bottom of the league, the current crowd will be rocking up just to be entertained. 

Morgue like is my prediction but hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Yes, these are my thoughts as well.

Never know- Bank Holiday tomorrow might see a few more dafties on the lunchtime jaegerbombs again like they were last week for Spurs.

Been mulling over on something said a few weeks ago in this thread. Might have been @Rich but not sure so apologies if not, but it was about needing a change in mentality away from the Ashley era and it kind of resonated with me.

Previously I've been of the opinion that standing could/should be introduced in a small area then increased bit by bit but I'm not sure now. See how it goes next year and if it's a success and/or popular just go all in and say the whole Gallowgate is changing to standing next summer.

It will piss a lot of people off, but I do think there's a lot of other people that will get on board, that just need the one moment where it clicks that things are different now. That zombie club of 10+ years is no more now, that time where all there was to look forward to at the match was the social side of things is all in the past. Getting to 40 points then sacking it off is gone now. There is ambition there to support And as such, the team will need your support because when you're challenging for CL spots or cups then EVERY game is important, there will be new exciting signings that will need to be welcomed and this is the part the fans are to play in the brave new world.

I mean being at the Man Utd and Spurs game should have started flicking this switch in people's minds.

4 minutes ago, geordiesteve710 said:

Been mulling over on something said a few weeks ago in this thread. Might have been @Rich but not sure so apologies if not, but it was about needing a change in mentality away from the Ashley era and it kind of resonated with me.

Previously I've been of the opinion that standing could/should be introduced in a small area then increased bit by bit but I'm not sure now. See how it goes next year and if it's a success and/or popular just go all in and say the whole Gallowgate is changing to standing next summer.

It will piss a lot of people off, but I do think there's a lot of other people that will get on board, that just need the one moment where it clicks that things are different now. That zombie club of 10+ years is no more now, that time where all there was to look forward to at the match was the social side of things is all in the past. Getting to 40 points then sacking it off is gone now. There is ambition there to support And as such, the team will need your support because when you're challenging for CL spots or cups then EVERY game is important, there will be new exciting signings that will need to be welcomed and this is the part the fans are to play in the brave new world.

I mean being at the Man Utd and Spurs game should have started flicking this switch in people's minds.

Definitely change in outlook and fan culture required. To be honest I never thought we’d see the day the ground was full of folk waving flags, so it is possible but just needs a push from somewhere to get people standing and singing in a big area.

Not saying the flag waving is necessarily my cup of tea as much prefer raw emotion and vocal support, but it undoubtedly creates a sense of occasion and spectacle.

Edited by Whitley mag

8 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Definitely change in outlook and fan culture required. To be honest I never thought we’d see the day the ground was full of folk waving flags, so it is possible but just needs a push from somewhere to get people standing and singing in a big area.

Not saying the flag waving is necessarily my cup of tea as much prefer raw emotion and vocal support, but it undoubtedly creates a sense of occasion and spectacle.

I can definitely relate to this. Was massively sceptical about it but it's something I definitely appreciate now.

So if this grumpy middle aged sod can change his mind on something then others definitely can.

As one of the whingers I've got to say

For half an hour in the 2nd half that was proper. Just tension and noise and support.

Fucking mint

Edited by jack j

7 minutes ago, jack j said:

As one of the whingers I've got to say

For half an hour in the 2nd half that was proper. Just tension and noise and support.

Fucking mint

Didn't watch it but that is great to hear. To be fair, adversity has always brought the best out of our support.

31 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Came through brilliantly on TV.

Do wish we’d stop singing the “going to Italy” thing until it’s absolutely guaranteed, feels like we’re begging to jinx it :lol:

There are Italian teams in Europa and Conference leagues too tbf. :lol:

Noise came through well on tv in the second half, and lasted the duration. There is a notable lack of animation in certain sections of the stands when we score and the camera pans round though, lots of smiley faces and polite applause. A bit of arm waving/ air punching/jumping about wouldn't go amiss

The Strawberry Corner deserve huge credit today. Sat in Leazes and it was quiet first half, but the ‘Eddie Howe’s Black and White Army’ chant kept going around and around in the last ten of the first half (I think, brain a bit addled) and the atmosphere built and built from there. Genuinely a bit of a bear pit at times in second half.  

I'm hoarse. The second half was a cracking atmosphere - I think the closer to the corner you are the better.

It probably helped that we were behind at half time tbf because it felt like we all had to come out and swing it back our way in the second half. 

10 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Noise came through well on tv in the second half, and lasted the duration. There is a notable lack of animation in certain sections of the stands when we score and the camera pans round though, lots of smiley faces and polite applause. A bit of arm waving/ air punching/jumping about wouldn't go amiss

I honestly blame VAR.. celebrated the disallowed one then held myself back for the second lol.

Do miss the olds days of looking at the linesman for a quick second !

55 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Came through brilliantly on TV.

Do wish we’d stop singing the “going to Italy” thing until it’s absolutely guaranteed, feels like we’re begging to jinx it :lol:

True true.  We could be in a group with Spanish, french and Dutch teams.

14 minutes ago, dave s said:

Is there an Isak chant yet? I’ve only managed to get to a couple games and they were all early in season, before he came and was injured. Can’t say I’ve heard one watching on telly 

the abba one but nobody seems to know the words so doubt it’ll ever catch on properly!

Only critiscism and big fucking one...people streaming out after 80 minutes...bunch of fucking arseholes, stay and clap lads off ffs.

I'm not wanting a pat on back but i moved to south for work in 2013 and some sunday games I drive 5 hours south straight after game but still stay to end but we've got fans leaving early to get into strawberry etc before its busy or best traffic is pathetic...rant over...

1 hour ago, NUFC91 said:

Only critiscism and big fucking one...people streaming out after 80 minutes...bunch of fucking arseholes, stay and clap lads off ffs.

I'm not wanting a pat on back but i moved to south for work in 2013 and some sunday games I drive 5 hours south straight after game but still stay to end but we've got fans leaving early to get into strawberry etc before its busy or best traffic is pathetic...rant over...

It's getting worse... Last week v spurs I reckon 5 to 10 thousand left when we were winning 6.1.

Stand up if you love the Toon (but walk out to be first at the bar!)

3 hours ago, pedro111 said:

Great second half support. My voice is gone but it saddens me that the Blaydon Races has died a death....

Might not help but if they stopped playing the shittest version ever recorded every week it might remind people its a passionate anthem it would be an improvement in itself. Some people will think that's what it is. A rhyhtmless tuneless eastern-european national anthem dirge

1 minute ago, Wolfcastle said:

Might not help but if they stopped playing the shittest version ever recorded every week it might remind people its a passionate anthem it would be an improvement in itself. Some people will think that's what it is. A rhyhtmless tuneless eastern-european national anthem dirge

Aye this is a fair point. That version they play is horrible.