Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

The support was good, there were periods where it was a bit flat however we were all just as nervous as the players were, you could sense it in the crowd. 
All that said, given the difficulties of getting to San Siro, the shambles of passport checks, the monumental walk up to the top of the stadium and the heat/humidity (which was intense) and finally how the experience of the ground and the ultras is captivating we put up a good show IMO. 
I agree though that at times we can suffer because everyone’s peevy, I made an effort to not drink as much because I forget everything the next day and didn’t want to forget this. 

I doubt there’ll be many clubs give a perfect support in there. 

18 minutes ago, PCW1983 said:

The support was good, there were periods where it was a bit flat however we were all just as nervous as the players were, you could sense it in the crowd. 
All that said, given the difficulties of getting to San Siro, the shambles of passport checks, the monumental walk up to the top of the stadium and the heat/humidity (which was intense) and finally how the experience of the ground and the ultras is captivating we put up a good show IMO. 
I agree though that at times we can suffer because everyone’s peevy, I made an effort to not drink as much because I forget everything the next day and didn’t want to forget this. 

I doubt there’ll be many clubs give a perfect support in there. 

You (collectively) gave a great account of yourselves and the club. Loved hearing the singing at the end, when we needed the kind of push that can come from knowing your fans are with you, and occasion bits which came through at other times. I was really pissed off that the TV didn’t show our fans until about the 90th minute, unless I missed something earlier?

we left the canal about half 3 and had a lovely trip up. even managed to get a beer outside the ground. fans were mingling with no problems whatsoever.

but it sounds like anyone arriving a bit later the detour was a concerted effort from the police to subdue/sober up our fans. nee wonder the atmosphere was a bit flat if people have been made to walk 2k in the blistering heat and then another absolute climb to get into the ground.

ridiculous behaviour and we wouldn’t dare treat an away support like that. the less said about the antics after the game the better. shambolic.

I agree about Lindisfarne songs. Why we don't sing "Run for Home" or a song to that tune is beyond me. It's tailor made for it.

Re the support in Milan. I was concious that I hadn't heard them for the entire match on TV untill the last few minutes when they came through load and clear. Was great to hear. I think a lot of the British teams suffer with the fans peaking pre match on the piss then by the time the game comes round everyone is cabbaged. It happened to the Rangers fans in Seville.

Edited by pedro111

1 hour ago, pedro111 said:

I agree about Lindisfarne songs. Why we don't sing "Run for Home" or a song to that tune is beyond me. It's tailor made for it.

Re the support in Milan. I was concious that I hadn't heard them for the entire match on TV untill the last few minutes when they came through load and clear. Was great to hear. I think a lot of the British teams suffer with the fans peaking pre match on the piss then by the time the game comes round everyone is cabbaged. It happened to the Rangers fans in Seville.

You didn’t hear the away fans because the home fans / ultras were relentless for 95 mins. Really impressive.

From my feed it sounded like the whole stadium was quiet. You could hear the ultras but it was just a low background drone, very little noise in reaction to attacks or anything. And couldn't hear our fans much, again til the end. Was thinking must be the feed. Also was surprised by the lack of shots of our fans.

I agree, the ultras sounded pretty loud but there were times on the TV when even they weren't singing. The rest of the ground seemed dead. Might be controversial and obviously I don't speak Italian but their songs don't ever sound any good. Like the tune is shite. If we could get a 6 to 8k singing section in the gallowgate I reckon we would be way better and louder than them. Just my opinion.

Edited by pedro111

8 hours ago, Superior Acuña said:

From my feed it sounded like the whole stadium was quiet. You could hear the ultras but it was just a low background drone, very little noise in reaction to attacks or anything. And couldn't hear our fans much, again til the end. Was thinking must be the feed. Also was surprised by the lack of shots of our fans.

Well your feed was fucked.

It was an incredible atmosphere in the stadium.

A lot of the ultras atmosphere seems very manufactured with megaphones and rarely has any ebb and flow with the actual action, it’s just a constant background noise in the most part.

Much prefer a radged up St James, when it’s good it’s good, we just need more good days and 8k standing in the Gallowgate will sort it.

3 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

I agree, the ultras sounded pretty loud but there were times on the TV when even they weren't singing. The rest of the ground seemed dead. Might be controversial and obviously I don't speak Italian but their songs don't ever sound any good. Like the tune is shite. If we could get a 6 to 8k singing section in the gallowgate I reckon we would be way better and louder than them. Just my opinion.

You're entirely wrong. It was fucking deafening at times in that stadium.

And the ultras sang so much throughout the game that the moments of silence actually felt really ominous. They were usually followed by something belting.

Seriously, don't judge it from the TV. It was incredible in person.

I’m nee Junior Turner like but here’s a couple of verses from Lindisfarne meet me on the corner. I’ve changed the first line and think the next three could remain, then the possibilities are endless thereafter.

Need to adapt more local songs and get rid of this generic shite sang by every club.

Meet me on the corner, (Meet me at St James)
When the lights are coming on,
And I'll be there.
I promise I'll be there.
Down the empty streets, 
We'll disappear into the dawn,
If you have dreams enough to share.

Hey mister dream seller, (Hey Mr Howe)
Where have you been.
Tell me have you dreams I can see?
I came along, just to bring you this song,
Can you spare one dream for me?

Edited by Whitley mag

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

I’m nee Junior Turner like but here’s a couple of verses from Lindisfarne meet me on the corner. I’ve changed the first line and think the next three could remain, then the possibilities are endless thereafter.

Need to adapt more local songs and get rid of this generic shite sang by every club.

Meet me on the corner, (Meet me at St James)
When the lights are coming on,
And I'll be there.
I promise I'll be there.
Down the empty streets, 
We'll disappear into the dawn,
If you have dreams enough to share.

Hey mister dream seller, (Hey Mr Howe)
Where have you been.
Tell me have you dreams I can see?
I came along, just to bring you this song,
Can you spare one dream for me?

More like this needed. Was nice to hear few lads join in Milan singing "in dublins fair city. Where the goals are so pretty, i first set my eyes on sweet molly malone, as she wheeled her wheelbarrow through the streets broad and narrow singing...an N and E 

Tbf we loads of class songs, below never get sang enough.

We are the geordies 

We are the geordies the cock of the north

We all follow united...hello hello

We hate nottingham forest

Joe harvey took a holiday

They call us newcastle 

Like you say the generic shite is wank

On 21/09/2023 at 10:32, Shadow Puppets said:

Well your feed was fucked.

It was an incredible atmosphere in the stadium.

Watching on TNT it sounded loud, as you say the streams are probably just shite. 

I listened to the first 15 on the radio in the car and that was fucking LOUD especially when we were under the cosh, just seemed like bombardment. 

Credit to our players to survive that type of hostile environment and atmosphere, most of our players are pups at this level 

11 hours ago, NUFC91 said:

More like this needed. Was nice to hear few lads join in Milan singing "in dublins fair city. Where the goals are so pretty, i first set my eyes on sweet molly malone, as she wheeled her wheelbarrow through the streets broad and narrow singing...an N and E 

Tbf we loads of class songs, below never get sang enough.

We are the geordies 

We are the geordies the cock of the north

We all follow united...hello hello

We hate nottingham forest

Joe harvey took a holiday

They call us newcastle 

Like you say the generic shite is wank

The Bruno song is shocking.

On 21/09/2023 at 10:51, Big River said:

no wonder the ultras seemed loud. they were tapped into the PA system :lol: frauds

This is not true... there is an amplified megaphone for the person who starts the chants, otherwise is impossible to coordinate a 80meter long section.

San Siro Curva Sud is huge, we've been using megaphones since the 80s. Before there were several people arranged along the entire Curva who started the chants with an normal megaphone each, now only one man in the middle with an amplified megaphone.