Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

5 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Fucking YouTubers and season ticket holders who sat at Wembley like mutes are the main reason the away has turned to shit, so what if we we’re under the cosh at Liverpool when’s that ever been an excuse not to sing away from home on an 8pm kick off.

Is there another club in the country that has a problem with season ticket holders in the same way our fanbase does? You know, the people that were going to every game before we were taken over by the Saudi state? Those fickle cunts.

Don't think anyone's calling them fickle, like you say they've gone for years and continue to do so.

There's just a large proportion of them that make no bloody noise to get behind the team at matches.

2 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Is there another club in the country that has a problem with season ticket holders in the same way our fanbase does? You know, the people that were going to every game before we were taken over by the Saudi state? Those fickle cunts.

The ones who sat on their arse while Ashley took the piss as well, just happy for their day out regardless of the state of club.

Personally think it shone through at Wembley and now in the away support since points dropped, find it strange loyal season ticket holders only have 5 and less points but are now clamouring for away days.

3 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Not fickle, just shepherded into the ground with their tartan blankets to mither and groan through 100+ minutes.

24 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

The ones who sat on their arse while Ashley took the piss as well, just happy for their day out regardless of the state of club.

Personally think it shone through at Wembley and now in the away support since points dropped, find it strange loyal season ticket holders only have 5 and less points but are now clamouring for away days.

The ones who criticise those that tried to form any kind of protest.

The ones who called fellow fans scum when they walked in on the 11th minute against West Ham.

Edited by Sima

14 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Tbh, ask fans of other clubs, and they generally have very similar experiences of Wembley, especially if you get beat.

Mackems had a literally identical game experience to us, until they finally won the pizza cup, then that one altered their view slightly. Some (not that many obviously) haven’t bothered going recently given how many times they’ve been there, and knowing what it’s like.

That’s just how it is at Wembley. Obviously the vast majority of us would go again, but don’t expect it to be any different unless we win.

7 minutes ago, SteV said:

Tbh, ask fans of other clubs, and they generally have very similar experiences of Wembley, especially if you get beat.

Mackems had a literally identical game experience to us, until they finally won the pizza cup, then that one altered their view slightly. Some (not that many obviously) haven’t bothered going recently given how many times they’ve been there, and knowing what it’s like.

That’s just how it is at Wembley. Obviously the vast majority of us would go again, but don’t expect it to be any different unless we win.

I accept Wembley’s not conducive to a great atmosphere, but the Mancs managed to make a decent racket compared to us on the day. The majority of their end stood and seemed a lot more passionate than our lot throughout.

Edited by Whitley mag

20 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I accept Wembley’s not conducive to a great atmosphere, but the Mancs managed to make a decent racket compared to us on the day. The majority of their end stood and seemed a lot more passionate than our lot throughout.

When they were winning…

For all the talk of different contributing factors affecting the atmosphere, the overriding factor is always what happens on the pitch.

And I say that with the caveat of in relation to what’s expected to happen on the pitch. People will (justifiably) say ‘I’ve been in great away ends when we were shit’. Yes, but those away ends weren’t at places like Wigan, where, even though we weren’t great ourselves, we went thinking we shouldn’t be getting dicked off the likes of these, but then we’d be terrible, get dicked and the atmosphere would be shite.

Expectations have, rightfully, gone up after last season, and us being nowhere near meeting them is also having a big effect on atmospheres.

We were flat before the match. In the pubs, walking to the ground and In the concourse beforehand. I remember saying to my nephew the fans weren't up for it. Looked around and most people were in their 50s and 60s. It was like going to a home match in the Leazes End.

Hated every minute of it.

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

We were flat before the match. In the pubs, walking to the ground and In the concourse beforehand. I remember saying to my nephew the fans weren't up for it. Looked around and most people were in their 50s and 60s. It was like going to a home match in the Leazes End.

Then annoyingly. We showed a bit of character at the end and defiance. Then made some noise in the pubs after. When plenty of the Man U fans had fucked off home. 

Too little too late, sadly. 

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

Was barely any folk of that age around me.

Although I was in the standing section so perhaps wouldn’t have expected it.

4 minutes ago, SteV said:

Was barely any folk of that age around me.

Although I was in the standing section so perhaps wouldn’t have expected it.

We were in the lower tier right behind the goal, where I assumed mist the atmosphere would be, which is why I picked there as we were in phase one so had the pick of seats. The whole day just felt off. Nobody singing in the pubs beforehand, Man Utd fans outsinging us down Wembley way (mainly with their Shearer song), got into the ground and at tbe age of 45 I felt like a young man! Knew it was going to be shite before we got to out seats.

My abiding memory of being at the match was some wifey going absolutely ape shit with everyone at half time for standing in complete silence for the 1st half. Needless to say it got no better at half time.

Just a miserable day all round.

16 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

We were in the lower tier right behind the goal, where I assumed mist the atmosphere would be, which is why I picked there as we were in phase one so had the pick of seats. The whole day just felt off. Nobody singing in the pubs beforehand, Man Utd fans outsinging us down Wembley way (mainly with their Shearer song), got into the ground and at tbe age of 45 I felt like a young man! Knew it was going to be shite before we got to out seats.

My abiding memory of being at the match was some wifey going absolutely ape shit with everyone at half time for standing in complete silence for the 1st half. Needless to say it got no better at half time.

Just a miserable day all round.

I concur it was fucking embarrassing and as for the show of defiance at the end, if waving your flags while not singing is defiance then somethings gone horribly wrong with our support.

In every one of the trips to Wembley under Keegan, Dalglish and Robson the pubs, tubes and Wembley Way were bouncing, the mancs took the fucking piss on Wembley Way when they showed up and our lot as you have said we’re flat to put it politely.

Edited by Whitley mag

31 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I remember walking down Wembley way and loads of them giving it cheer up alan shearer. Barely owt coming back from wor fans. Too busy taking selfies.

Edit just realised you said that in ur other post

They were rowdy as fuck

Edited by jack j

Might have helped if thousands hadn’t blown their beans in Trafalgar Square the day before. Maybe better to celebrate in the streets after we win summat, not 24 hrs before the game   

And I was at back of standing section behind the goal, was noisy enough until a massive racist cunt starting hurling abuse at anyone who wasn’t white and it caused bother as we tried to shut him up 

Edited by bobbydazzla

1 hour ago, jack j said:

I remember walking down Wembley way and loads of them giving it cheer up alan shearer. Barely owt coming back from wor fans. Too busy taking selfies.

Edit just realised you said that in ur other post

They were rowdy as fuck

It was quieter in the way back down Wembley way! Apart from me. I sang all six verses of Blaydon Races to cheer-up the troops (& say fuck you to the stray early-dart Man Utd fans). Did it again on a packed carriage; which was a much cheerier mass participation event! 

5 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

It was quieter in the way back down Wembley way! Apart from me. I sang all six verses of Blaydon Races to cheer-up the troops (& say fuck you to the stray early-dart Man Utd fans). Did it again on a packed carriage; which was a much cheerier mass participation event! 

I reckon you only sang all those verses because you’re named in them … ;) 

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

I concur it was fucking embarrassing and as for the show of defiance at the end, if waving your flags while not singing is defiance then somethings gone horribly wrong with our support.

In every one of the trips to Wembley under Keegan, Dalglish and Robson the pubs, tubes and Wembley Way were bouncing, the mancs took the fucking piss on Wembley Way when they showed up and our lot as you have said we’re flat to put it politely.

Singing ‘attack, attack, attack attack attack’ at Dalglish’s side in ‘98 sticks in the memory as much as owt else.  There was an undercurrent of annoyance at the limp-wristed approach to a cup final.  Then defiance when about twenty thousand of us stayed back chanting Newcastle songs as Arsenal celebrated.  Waving a flag would not have cut it. 

10 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

Might have helped if thousands hadn’t blown their beans in Trafalgar Square the day before. Maybe better to celebrate in the streets after we win summat, not 24 hrs before the game   

And I was at back of standing section behind the goal, was noisy enough until a massive racist cunt starting hurling abuse at anyone who wasn’t white and it caused bother as we tried to shut him up 

That was our ‘bald men fighting over a comb’ moment with the mackems. They did Trafalgar, so we had to do it. Pathetic and everyone was so far on their hangovers or comedowns on Sunday that they didn’t show up when it mattered.

Also the many Victor Meldrew and Dads Army aged fans doesn’t help. Logan’s Run the old cunts.