Newcastle United vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers: 12/03/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

If he does insist on starting Wilson then I hope Isak starts instead of Almiron, I'd prefer Isak up front with Murphy getting a start ahead of a knackered Almiron though. I'd also start Targett behind ASM and bring Burn on later in the game.

2 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He can actually cross the ball every now and then. Can't say the same about Almirón. Murphy's done more in his appearances off the bench than Almirón has done in his starts recently.

How recent? :lol:

last time Murphy did anything was in November, an assist.

Almiron has a goal and an assist in the last 6 games.

1 minute ago, Aiston said:

Why are you basing it only off goals and assists?

2 minutes ago, Aiston said:

But in my opinion miggy is just as responsible for so many moves breaking down due to him cutting in and everyone on the pitch knowing he’s going to do it. Murphy came on last couple of games and got good crosses in but nobody on the end. I do believe with more time on the pitch he’ll get an assist or maybe two.

1 minute ago, Aiston said:

Matters most. Murphy hasn't done a damn thing else other than a cross or two anyway.

You’re right - wasting his time crossing the ball in the box, we don’t need that kind of play going on.

2 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Matters most. Murphy hasn't done a damn thing else other than a cross or two anyway.

Well let's play Wilson then because he's got more goals than Isak recently

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Murphy’s performance against Sheffield Wednesday was the final chance I was willing to give him, he offers us nothing imo.

If howe had taken the same opinion a long time ago with joelington way back then - it would have been a damn shame.

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

If howe had taken the same opinion a long time ago with joelington way back then - it would have been a damn shame.

Not really the same thing is it ? By that logic we just give every player endless chances no matter their performances ?

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not really the same thing is it ? By that logic we just give every player endless chances no matter their performances ?

No - Howe gives players chances he feels are worth it and if he happens to play Murphy today thinking he’s earned that then I haven’t a problem with it because when he came on last game I think his crosses were the only ones coming into the box at the time. Miggy has had a great season but he needs a rest and to me that seems obvious.

Everybody on here agrees that they want the results to get better but seem to have a problem with making changes to get there.

2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

No - Howe gives players chances he feels are worth it and if he happens to play Murphy today thinking he’s earned that then I haven’t a problem with it because when he came on last game I think his crosses were the only ones coming into the box at the time. Miggy has had a great season but he needs a rest and to me that seems obvious.

Everybody on here agrees that they want the results to get better but seem to have a problem with making changes to get there.

Don’t think anyone has a problem making changes at all, in fact I think most are calling for them. However I don’t think is unfair to be disappointed if Murphy gets a start. Go back into pretty much any match thread he’s ever started for us and see the reaction to his performances. He is barely a premier league player and offers nothing to this side. Hopefully I am proved wrong today.

Completely agree that Miggy needs dropping, just think there are much better options than starting Murphy instead.

Edited by SUPERTOON

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Don’t think anyone has a problem making changes at all, in fact I think most are calling for them. However I don’t think is unfair to be disappointed if Murphy gets a start. Go back into pretty much any match thread he’s ever started for us and see the reaction to his performances. He is barely a premier league player and offers nothing to this side. Hopefully I am proved wrong today.

Completely agree that Miggy needs dropping, just think there are much better options than starting Murphy instead.

That’sa fair point about Murphy, maybe I’m seeing the glass as half full at the moment with Murphy that’s all.  Would you give Gordon a chance there? Maybe even ASM

Edited by Gawalls

As much as I’ve been critical of Murphy, he’s definitely earned a start based on his substitute performances in 2023. Ultimately though, the key person that needs to start is Isak. If he doesn’t start and is fit to, then it’s mad. I know Eddie said he wasn’t ready to do 90 mins consistently but surely he’s ready to play 70 mins 

10 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

That’sa fair point about Murphy, maybe I’m seeing the glass as half full at the moment with Murphy that’s all.  Would you give Gordon a chance there? Maybe even ASM

Yep I’d give Gordon or ASM a go on the right