Newcastle United vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers: 12/03/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

6 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Warra memory from this fixture. Good times.

As "bad" as this current run is, it's alway worth a gentle reminder of how bad it was only a short time ago :lol;

It was incredible really. A Premier League team being run by someone with as much football acumen as the gobshite dad at a kids game. Mind you, at least the gobshite dad gives a shit. 

Absolute leech, clinging onto the job so he could pretend he was still a football manager. 

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

'Must win' territory in terms of top 4 hopes.

Wolves, top 4 hopes, must win, them in a relegation battle.

If only we had two controversial wingers to switch as substitutes for the boo boys it would be 03/04 all over again.

*full disclosure, I booed Viana and stand by that

Edited by Wolfcastle

3 hours ago, STM said:

Isak starting against Wolves then. :thup:

Probably. His press conferences are somewhat pointless unless you appreciate them for their length versus lack of any meaningful content. But per the PL rules they have to take place.

Best article I've seen on the change, that, and points more towards opposition sussing out and reacting to our gameplan than anything else, IMO.

It's been noticeable how reluctant teams are to piss about playing it out from the back versus earlier in the season, but I do also think that there's been a general drop-off in the sharpness of the press when we have had opportunities to get at teams high up the field.

Both were inevitable, unfortunately, and we're now into the next phase of how to develop a winning style (again). Whether we can do that without significant activity in the transfer market is the big question at the minute, as I'm not sure we've got anywhere near the personnel to play like a "big team" yet.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Best article I've seen on the change, that, and points more towards opposition sussing out and reacting to our gameplan than anything else, IMO.

It's been noticeable how reluctant teams are to piss about playing it out from the back versus earlier in the season, but I do also think that there's been a general drop-off in the sharpness of the press when we have had opportunities to get at teams high up the field.

Both were inevitable, unfortunately, and we're now into the next phase of how to develop a winning style (again). Whether we can do that without significant activity in the transfer market is the big question at the minute, as I'm not sure we've got anywhere near the personnel to play like a "big team" yet.

I think the recent Athletic article also suggested that our attacking play is incredibly predictable now. It almost all goes down the right where we have an incredibly predictable Almiron and Trippier whom almost everything we do goes through; our main tactic this season has been tailored for allowing him to bomb on on top of the fact that he takes every attacking set piece we have. Targett and ASM on the left would change that, otherwise teams just need to surround Bruno and overload our right to stifle our attack; we have nothing on the LW as Burn doesn't offer much going forward and the left sided attacker, be that ASM or Gordon, is often on his own as a result.

"Digging a little deeper, in their last eight games Newcastle have managed the fewest high turnovers - where a passage of play starts 40 metres or less from the opponent's goal - in the entire league. Up until the Leicester game, they topped the division for moves starting within a pass or two of a shooting opportunity."

I'd be interested to see the comparative metrics for both.

It'll be because a lot of our opponents are now happy to sit in to negate our counter press though. Off the top of my head Leeds, Fulham, Palace and West Ham were all happy to do this. 

Arsenal and City away, along with hosting Liverpool with ten men for 70 minutes will have skewed the numbers too.