Newcastle United 2-1 Wolves (12/03/2023)

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I remember Boly getting a late equaliser with a definite foul so fuck them. 

I remember the game they won late against us at st James under Rafa, Boly elbowed Perez and got away with it.

Huge game and 3 points that (obviously). Really thought that 15 minutes before HT was when the game should have been put out of sight and going 2 or 3 up at HT would have meant a very different second half. Delighted for Isak to get his chance and to take it, he's now the CF at the club and needs to start every game he's fit for, if that means Wilson's nose gets put out of joint a bit then so be it. H'e mobile, direct, runs at defenders, pulls them out of position and can strike a ball from a decent distance and Wilson hasn't done much of that for months. 

Absolutely no reason why we can't push on a bit now and get back into 4th. No other distractions or cups and we can focus on every game now. Big, big opportunity to clinch a spot at the top table now :) 

Just now, TK-421 said:

Aye, even when their manager didn't dwell on it, the reporter kept fetching it up.

Yep, Lopetegui wasn't going to mention it, he answered the question and was quite gracious in defeat, but that wasn't enough for Sky and their bias. No no, then they asked the same question again and showed their footage from the angle that it most looked like a foul.

And people tell me it's not corrupt.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

I’m staggered it wasn’t a penalty and pope wasn’t sent off. Terrible decision.  Over the moon though!

No wonder there is controversy over referee vs VAR decision making, I am certain it wasn’t a foul by Pope; regardless of the forward’s movement into Pope, anyway else on the pitch it is a coming together. I think people are just assuming intent by the ‘keeper. 

9 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Refreshing to hear a manager who isnt a total fucking crybaby, even though the interviewer is desperately trying to get him to discuss the penalty decision

I’m glad he kept mentioning the Liverpool ones as well every time it can’t up, me smiling as it might shut redknapp up.

My takes from today:

first half we absolutely dominated and should have been three up.

Isak was electric and was a real presence and so difficult for the to defend against, works the space between mid and the defence so well and his speedy spurts are orgasmic :pedro:

Murphy was great in the first half and seemed like a new signing, ASM still looks just off the pace or is still adapting his game to eddie’s orders. Willock was great throughout and bruno and longstaff both seemed a yard off it.

Pope looked very panicky from early on and although he made a couple of class saves he was jittery throughout.

Without the headfunk errors, Trippier would have had a 9/10 performance…

Big dan seemed much better and schar was schar.

miggy had a point to prove and did so majestically.

All in all, a good afternoon añbeit in typical Nufc style:rolleyes:

Love the fact Joe and Gordon are in the picture and Isak at the front after having a good game, hopefully this result will reignite the season and it is clear the team ethos is still there.

We need to finish the season strongly and on a high and take the good feeling into the summer.

8 minutes ago, buzza said:

My takes from today:

first half we absolutely dominated and should have been three up.

Isak was electric and was a real presence and so difficult for the to defend against, works the space between mid and the defence so well and his speedy spurts are orgasmic :pedro:

Murphy was great in the first half and seemed like a new signing, ASM still looks just off the pace or is still adapting his game to eddie’s orders. Willock was great throughout and bruno and longstaff both seemed a yard off it.

Pope looked very panicky from early on and although he made a couple of class saves he was jittery throughout.

Without the headfunk errors, Trippier would have had a 9/10 performance…

Big dan seemed much better and schar was schar.

miggy had a point to prove and did so majestically.

All in all, a good afternoon añbeit in typical Nufc style:rolleyes:

Agree with most of those points, however I'm struggling with the love in for Murphy.  Totally and absolutely average, like he has been for the past 4 or 5 years.

Most sorely needed win since the relegation battle, that, thank fuck.

Thought they played very well on the most part albeit with a little too much of a casual approach in defence from time to time.

Thought bringing Wilson on was nonsense, though, I must say.

Oh yeah and that was 100% a penalty.

Edited by Dr Venkman

Just now, Sima said:

I’d have been raging if we didn’t get that decision tbf.

I think that's the biggest indicator of whether it's should've been given. If that happens to Isak and its not given we are all up in arms about it.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure it matters whether Jimenez is "looking for it" or whatever people want to call it. Pope fucks up and leans into him whilst doing his best to not make it obvious, but that should be given and I'm shocked VAR didn't give it.

Pretty good performance from us, especially in the 1st half where we should have been out of site by half time. The only times wolves looked really threatening (and scored) was through our own fuck ups. Showed great character to go on and win the game. 

Isak now has to start as our main striker. He offers so much and drags defenders all over the shop. If someone could just occupy the space he creates sometimes, we'd have scored more today.

Great win though. Back on track.

58 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

If Trippier hadn't slipped, their xG would have been ridiculously low. Really comfortable win in big picture if you take away Pope's bad touch and Trippier's slip.

18 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

No wonder there is controversy over referee vs VAR decision making, I am certain it wasn’t a foul by Pope; regardless of the forward’s movement into Pope, anyway else on the pitch it is a coming together. I think people are just assuming intent by the ‘keeper. 

It's difficult to tell when and how the contact was made by Pope, and if the ref isn't sufficiently sure it's a pen, then he can't give it. In turn, VAR can't over-turn the decision unless they can see a clear and obvious error. Due process was followed.

VAR isn't there to re-referee decisions ie to substitute one subjective opinion over another. It was therefore really irritating to hear Redknapp arguing that some 'important' decisions should be re-refereed. Talk about missing the point. The system is never going to be perfect, but you can't change the agreed procedure on a whim like that. 

Perhaps Wolves were unlucky, but luck plays a part in competitive sport. Get over it.

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

I think that's the biggest indicator of whether it's should've been given. If that happens to Isak and its not given we are all up in arms about it.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure it matters whether Jimenez is "looking for it" or whatever people want to call it. Pope fucks up and leans into him whilst doing his best to not make it obvious, but that should be given and I'm shocked VAR didn't give it.

I was 100 % they were going to give the pen via VAR.

pope was very lucky, and he had two other very shaky moments.

Regar

Just now, Pata said:

If Trippier hadn't slipped, their xG would have been ridiculously low. Really comfortable win in big picture if you take away Pope's bad touch and Trippier's slip.

Yeah 100 percent, they deserved nothing out of this