Newcastle United 2-1 Wolves (12/03/2023)

Yorkie

Aye I’ve always quite liked Wolves, good mix of old and new school club. 

Special big up to the Irish Baresi and Barry Glendinning’s great white hope Nathan Collins today too, superb decision to play a ludicrously deep line for no reason whatsoever to let Miggy in. Top work.

11 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

They don’t even play in a cool shade of orange anymore though.

Yeah it's a bit of a minging orange but still the wolves badge looks cool on it.

I’m not arsed about them. I think my experience in our away match in the Championship put me off then a bit when I was little bit ‘Yeah ok, they have a unique identity, give them the kudos’ attitude.

They have massively sank in recent years, from going for Europe and wanting to be the best of the rest and playing good football, to just being a bit flat and full of nothing. So far this season they are the joint lowest scorers, were they lowest before the match today. Last season only the 3 relegated teams scored less than then, and for large parts of the season they were the lowest goal scorers.

If the trend continues, they’ll fall through the trap door.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The more I see the Pope incident the more convinced I am it's a red. all Raul was doing was bracing himself for the contact. He got to the ball first and Pope clattered into him. 

Defo a pen. Is the double jeopardy thing still a thing ?

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

The more I see the Pope incident the more convinced I am it's a red. all Raul was doing was bracing himself for the contact. He got to the ball first and Pope clattered into him. 

Clattered, you call that a clattering you big old tart [emoji38]  Still a pen mind :thup:

Just now, madras said:

Defo a pen. Is the double jeopardy thing still a thing ?

Going for the ball is a yellow, Pope's would have been red as it was a deliberate foul.

Edited by Bimpy474

1 minute ago, madras said:

You just got in as well ?

[emoji38] Nah, had a shuffle around of the desk and my typing is all over the place, i only moved the keyboard a bit like [emoji38]

Edited by Bimpy474

5 minutes ago, Bimpy474 said:

Going for the ball is a yellow, Pope's would have been red as it was a deliberate foul.

I get the rule but his touch was very heavy and it’s not like it was clear he pulled him down or hacked him, hence it not being given. Could argue he’s just slow to react and the ball was gone. I think they would have booked him personally 

9 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Two things which make me doubt this

1. On a closer viewing it looked like he actually moved towards Pope.

2. He didn't even appeal for the pen which makes it look like he knew what he was doing.

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

For me, if Pope had clattered him, he would have went down to his left  instead of going down to the right. Giminez was on his way down before the contact it for me and unfortunately for him, he also decided to dive in the wrong direction. Anyways, we shudda had a pelanty when Lemina handled the ball in the box. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

3 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

I get the rule but his touch was very heavy and it’s not like it was clear he pulled him down or hacked him, hence it not being given. Could argue he’s just slow to react and the ball was gone. I think they would have booked him personally 

That's it, Pope didn't touch him with his arms or hand else I feel he would have gone.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Two things which make me doubt this

1. On a closer viewing it looked like he actually moved towards Pope.

2. He didn't even appeal for the pen which makes it look like he knew what he was doing.

He scoops the ball away from Pope and it's almost as if he's bracing himself for the foul, which comes. He probably didn't appeal because it was one of the most clear fouls you could imagine. :lol:

If that had been Sa on Isak and we'd not got it there'd have been hell on. Nice for us to get one of these though.

6 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

You couldn't have booked him if you deem it a foul, as he's not gone for the ball at all, it's an automatic red by the laws of the game (Sorry just realised you knew that, i need to read better)

I'm with you though, i don't think its a blatant professional foul, as in a pull or a trip but there's no wiggle room in the decision on a GK in the box. I think that's why it wasn't given, it wasn't enough to warrant a red, it's either that or nothing as we saw.

Edited by Bimpy474

Fuck them. Ignoring the fact that Burn was fouled, stumbled through into a position and lost the ball, resulting in no free kick being brought back for the foul, and they then broke, and the Pope coming together happened. We should’ve had a FK ok the edge of their pen area and that would never have happened. 

1 minute ago, Ken Boon said:

For me, if Pope had clattered him, he would have went down to his left  instead of going down to the right. Giminez was on his way down before the contact it for me and unfortunately for him, he also decided to dive in the wrong direction. Anyways, we shudda had a pelanty when Lemina handled the ball in the box. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

26 seconds in here is the clear view for me. He gets in before Pope and Pope bangs into him.