Notts Forest 1-2 Newcastle United (17/03/2023)

Disco

8 hours ago, Toon No9 said:

Well, Botman didn't deliberately pass the ball to the Forest player for their goal either (was meant to go to Pope). So based on that their goal should not have stand either?

Dennis was never offside in any situation of that though

15 minutes ago, Sempiternal said:

What’s up with the Sheff Wed fans in every single Twitter post about the match? Talking about it being “unsafe”. You’d think out of any fan base they’d know the dangers of a crush in a ground, truly bizarre behavior 

We only highlighted the their unsafe away end as we got beat. 

Can't believe our horrendous regime have tried to avoid future injury (or even worse) to visiting fans, disgusting behaviour by all involved. 

7 hours ago, pubteam said:

I was impressed by their fans, created a really good atmosphere.

I didn't want to sound like I was complaining. And I'm only judging by what came across on the TV.

It reminded me of the Stoke fans of a few seasons ago. Fair enough, Forest are a club with a big recent history ('recent' for an old git like me), and they've got back to the top division for the first time in 20 years. I can understand everything being a bit hyped up. But it felt like a bit of a bear pit, and that makes it difficult for refs and opponents to hold their nerve. It seems an important asset for them, because their team looked poor.

Apart from the offside decision, which was blatantly wrong, I thought the ref did well. Forest were clearly out to kick anything that moved, and the atmosphere between the teams became very niggly. He managed to keep a lid on it. 

And our lads did well too. Apart from a period of 15 minutes after their goal, they stood up to the challenge. As Carragher said after the game, we always show up. Our boss does a great job of preparing the team mentally.

One of the fun things in football is the moment silence before the away fans realise a goal has been scored at the opposite end of the ground and it was the perfect sound yesterday for Isak's first

6 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

I woke up still annoyed about that disallowed goal

Have we had any kind of explanation about why it was disallowed? We shouldn't just accept it, because we just happened to win in the final minutes.

11 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

I woke up still annoyed about that disallowed goal

One of the most incomprehensible decisions I’ve ever seen involving VAR. Makes absolutely no sense on any level, and requires such an utterly backward reading of the rule book it would fundamentally alter the entire game if it were to become commonplace.

As bad if not worse than the Willock goal being ruled out against Palace. Gross incompetence on every level from apparently professional referees.

10 hours ago, Jinky said:

One minor point I've noticed in recent games....

....we struggle to take quick/efficient throw ins....needs work imo.

I think it's because we are so tightly marked at times.

my first trip to the city groud. canny well situated, loads bars, and places to eat around the ground.

but why didnt we get a pel for that shirt pull on anderson. wasnt just a grab, he was clearly impeded.

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

One of the fun things in football is the moment silence before the away fans realise a goal has been scored at the opposite end of the ground and it was the perfect sound yesterday for Isak's first

Thought after numerous openings and chances, plus hitting the bar twice. It had hit the post and was rolling wide the other side. On the replay. It was almost straight in.

You’re right though. No better sound/feeling when it’s your team. 

12 minutes ago, christ said:

One of the most incomprehensible decisions I’ve ever seen involving VAR. Makes absolutely no sense on any level, and requires such an utterly backward reading of the rule book it would fundamentally alter the entire game if it were to become commonplace.

As bad if not worse than the Willock goal being ruled out against Palace. Gross incompetence on every level from apparently professional referees.

It's one of the things about VAR that still needs a bit of straightening out. When a ref gets called over to the monitor, there's a lot of pressure on him to reverse his decision - otherwise why get called over? I've only once seen a ref stick to his guns (Michael Oliver). It's quite a rarity.

On the other hand, I think VAR sometimes calls the ref over when they are genuinely unsure of the right call, and want to share the burden of responsibility. I reckon that was the case here, and in fairness, it was an unusual situation. In reality though, it wasn't a clear and obvious error and that should have been the end of it. Instead, the two parties stumble into a poor decision.

I wasn't in favour of VAR for anything but purely factual decisions, but it's working out better than I was expecting. However, it was always going to take a few seasons to get the procedures and grey areas into the best shape. There's a lesson to be learned from this episode.

Brilliant result. Thought they outbattled us for parts in the first half but we dug in and got what we thoroughly deserved. 

They're decent on the counter and you can see why their home form is decent. Aurier was so bad at right back, beat for Isaks and Anderson's goals. I'd have been raging if that Johnson shot went in but Pope stood up well. 

Thought Willock was great and Grippier too once again. Isak makes us so much more dynamic. Botman was full of mistakes though, hopefully it's a rare off day, easily the poorest I've seen him. 

Great result. I think we'll fall short of 4th. We just don't have the squad but never the less, always great to beat those scab cunts.

ref refused to overall his decision after going to the monitor this week in a champions league.

the need to get a backbone.

also they probably only get to view the angles chosen by VAR officials.

last nights may not have been cancelled if he's seen the view from behind as well as side on.... who am i kidding.

Edited by huss9

10 hours ago, pubteam said:

I was impressed by their fans, created a really good atmosphere.

They were really loud at the start. Dropped off and then understandably chirpy after their goal. We were silent for a good bit after they scored. But it probably felt like ‘here we go again’ with not taking our chances and gifting them a goal.  

Bar how loud they get at the start of each half for their Braveheart bagpipes song. I didn’t think they were much different to a lot of grounds. We dominated most of the game and we gradually got better and better. But near the end, they seemed buzzing with their undeserved 1-1. So it was nice to shut them up again. 

Definitely think the set up and old school ground helps the atmosphere, mind. Really tinny, echoey kind of noise from their fans. Seems like most of their vocal lot sit either side and above the away end. Which made for a decent few exchanges between supporters. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Aurier was so bad at right back, beat for Isaks and Anderson's goals.

He was given MOTM in the ground :lol: I mean, none of theirs played particularly well. I thought Felipe was by far their best player. Must have made about 20 clearances and blocks.