Notts Forest 1-2 Newcastle United (17/03/2023)

Disco

15 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Before I log off, you don't happen to know who sang "In the Summertime"? 

You have started something now.  I have instructed Alexa to play "In the summer time" and the wife is not happy.

3 minutes ago, Rod said:

You have started something now.  I have instructed Alexa to play "In the summer time" and the wife is not happy.

Because Alexa is actually the woman next door and she's playing it on a bass sax.

5 minutes ago, Rod said:

The thing about playing Alexa late on a Sunday night is, you need to know when to start and when to stop. Now would be the time to stop! 

Just now, madras said:

Because Alexa is actually the woman next door and she's playing it on a bass sax.

I just hope the "youg uns" on here now play it (download it).  Great happy song that reminds me of my youth holidays in Dawlish.

9 minutes ago, Rod said:

I just hope the "youg uns" on here now play it (download it).  Great happy song that reminds me of my youth holidays in Dawlish.

Dont think the young'uns will get on  board with some of the lyrics mind.

54 minutes ago, 80 said:

Putting aside the rights and wrongs on Saint Maximin, Howe clearly lies about the situations with our players on the regular. There's nothing controversial about suggesting he'd talk about an injury to cover up a different problem, whether that's true on this occasion or not.

I've heard this view expressed often but never seen him lie at all about injuries.

45 minutes ago, TRon said:

I've heard this view expressed often but never seen him lie at all about injuries.

You need to watch some more of his press conferences :) Nothing abominable, but obscuring, omitting and misleading are a big part of what he does when dealing with the public. About selections, about injuries, about transfers. I have no complaints about it.

11 minutes ago, 80 said:

You need to watch some more of his press conferences :) Nothing abominable, but obscuring, omitting and misleading are a big part of what he does when dealing with the public. About selections, about injuries, about transfers. I have no complaints about it.

I think when he studied other coaches and other countries during his break he took on NFL coach speak.

I’m not having that something wasn’t amiss with ASM. I know he blows hot and cold and he hasn’t found a run of form or fitness this season. But there is no way he doesn’t at least once try and get past Serge Aurier if he was fully fit.

The last two games now. He has seemed reluctant/incapable of fully opening up down the line. 

He wasn’t massively involved first half and didn’t get the space he did against Wolves. FWIW, I thought Isak was relatively quiet before the goal, as well and didn’t have the same impact as Wolves. Second half…….. 😍

ASM actually only really did anything once he went central into a bit of a free role. Was well involved with the goal, with the give and go and then pass down the line. Isak scored coming off the left and all. So those 5 minutes at the end of the half helped change the game. 

Shit that Almiron is now out. But it is nice to have some genuine wide options now. Murphy and Anderson wouldn’t have been near the lineup for most fans. Gordon still to come back and all. 

8 hours ago, 80 said:

Putting aside the rights and wrongs on Saint Maximin, Howe clearly lies about the situations with our players on the regular. 

He's 'economical with the truth' on occasions, same as many in the public eye who have big responsibilities. But he avoids lying.

9 hours ago, Rod said:

That you are talking shite!

Seems someone had a heavy one on the super strength last night. 

Calls someone out with 'great argument' then uses this as a response to a perfectly reasoned argument? :lol:

7 hours ago, TRon said:

It's felt like he's understated them a few times, he has never said someone is injured if they weren't :lol:

But hey, Maxi had a quiet first half, Eddie said he has a slight hamstring issue, so that must mean Maxi couldn't be arsed and Eddie's lying.  

7 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Calls someone out with 'great argument' then uses this as a response to a perfectly reasoned argument? :lol:

In fairness he did say he was a few bottles of wine deep whilst listening to Mungo Jerry. 

My take was that ASM was awful but that doesn't mean he IS awful or can't be useful in the future.

The more and more he shows inconsistencies, the more likely it is that Howe will be tempted to cash in.

It seems he's a "horses for courses", type player. But I still haven't worked out which course. Neither Wolves nor Forest were counter attacking games and he was good in one and poor in another.

If someone offered us 40m for him, I'd take it. We could use that to get Diaby for a few more million and instantly improve us but I'd also not be unhappy to see ASM next year.

1 hour ago, Wilson said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Watching the first half back when I'm not up a height and ASM wasn't even that bad tbh. He didn't play well in the way that Anderson did when he came on, or Murphy did, but in terms of actually doing things wrong he lost the ball in the middle of the pitch on 36 minutes and that was it. The rest of his performance was a mix of successful through balls, square passes, winning a free kick, one time when he dribbles on the right then plays it to Murphy who plays through Longstaff, then a nice one-two and a through ball to Willock for our goal. Hardly 'shocking'. Imo he was too safe and not ASM enough, playing easy passes, keeping his position and not taking players on enough. 

As I said at the time during the match, in that first half for me only Trippier and Murphy played really well. The rest weren't at the races a lot of the time, including Isak up until his goal. If you were going to single out players for playing badly in that first half, the really obvious candidates were Botman and Schar.

That's why it seems so obviously weird when ASM gets singled out within that context, and why this idea that he doesn't take his chances and it's the end of him at Newcastle is weird when it's in the context of one under par half in a run of 3 or 4 good performances. It's undeniable imo that he's overly scritinised more than any other player in the squad. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

4 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

The last two games now. He has seemed reluctant/incapable of fully opening up down the line. 

Been banging this drum for a while, it's not just the last 2 games.

It seems he lost any confidence he had to run directly at the opposition, not surprising given the flack he recieves of he loses it.